Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody Allen or George Clooney (i.e., their on-screen personas): who has more "true confidence&q
I'm a man, and I see Woody Allen as representing more "true confidence". 2 13.33%
I'm a man, and I see George Clooney as representing more "true confidence". 5 33.33%
I'm a woman, and I see Woody Allen as representing more "true confidence". 1 6.67%
I'm a woman, and I see George Clooney as representing more "true confidence". 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:50 AM

286 posts, read 366,358 times

Advertisements

I would like to know your opinion about which "persona" or "icon", if you will, has more "true confidence" as you see them: Woody Allen or George Clooney?

By "persona" or "icon" I mean what they project on-screen (either in a role, or when representing themselves, say, on a talk show). So please give more weight to what you saw them project on-screen than what you know about their personal lives. Please compare them according to your own impression, not what you think they signify to others.

Also, as we have seen, "confidence" has been discussed many times on C-D, and some believe that there's an "inner confidence" that's something about the person's character, while there's also an "outer confidence" that's more about outward behavior (e.g., salesmanship, being outgoing, etc.). By "true confidence" I'm referring to the "inner confidence", the kind we can't know directly but can form opinions about as we observe people (or characters) over time (and although any given film character, or TV interview, appears on-screen for only a short time, it should be enough for you to gain at least a vague impression).

As for me, I'm voting for Woody Allen, based on this opinion I offered in another thread:
Quote:
Another example is to compare Woody Allen to George Clooney, or rather the characters they play. Allen's characters are more confident than Clooney's, because they are not afraid to show themselves. They confide. A typical Clooney character, while being more appealing, would be afraid to show sides of himself, say, some human, neurotic tendencies, that break that consistent appealing image. And therefore it is also true that, as actors, Allen is the more confident one, because he's willing to portray those more human roles. I don't know if there are many women who would rate Allen as being more confident than Clooney, but I'm guessing it would be rare.
I'm particularly interested to see whether men and women have different opinions on this, as it may shed some light on how the two genders perceive "true confidence". It's just out of curiosity.

Thanks for your attention and participation in this survey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:54 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
I don't care if Woody exudes "confidence" or not. What I do know is he wouldn't get laid had he not been famous.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Woody Allen onscreen plays nothing but neurotic and self-absorbed characters, which doesn't preclude being confident, but that's not what people mean when they think of the word. Clooney plays suave and charming. It's no contest.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
These two actors are about as different as they can be. George Clooney just exudes self confidence and I expect that's how he is in real life. Woody Allen has always played a self conscious character on screen in a comical way although I think he's very talented and is probably quite confident if you knew him personally. I really like both of them and think they're very good actors.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:03 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
These two actors are about as different as they can be. George Clooney just exudes self confidence and I expect that's how he is in real life. Woody Allen has always played a self conscious character on screen in a comical way although I think he's very talented and is probably quite confident if you knew him personally. I really like both of them and think they're very good actors.
I disagree. Actually, George Clooney may have way more hidden "issues" than Woody behind all that suaveness and Woody may very well have more "confidence" and acceptance of himself just the way he is. However, does it really matter in the romantic world all other things being equal (things like fame and money that is)? No.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
OMG Woody Allen is an ugly, pedophilic vomitorium of grossness! Ewww I can't believe they let him adopt children.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
Confidence relates to how sure we are of ourselves and our abilities, and with that definition in mind, I'd say George Clooney takes the upper hand ON SCREEN. Most of his roles depict him as such.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM

286 posts, read 366,358 times
Default Woody Allen.

OK, I just put in my vote for Woody Allen. Here, again (from another thread), is my reasoning:

"Another example is to compare Woody Allen to George Clooney, or rather the characters they play. Allen's characters are more confident than Clooney's, because they are not afraid to show themselves. They confide. A typical Clooney character, while being more appealing, would be afraid to show sides of himself, say, some human, neurotic tendencies, that break that consistent appealing image. And therefore it is also true that, as actors, Allen is the more confident one, because he's willing to portray those more human roles. I don't know if there are many women who would rate Allen as being more confident than Clooney, but I'm guessing it would be rare."

For the people who said "Clooney", I'd be interested to know, can you point to something I said (i.e., a specific sentence) in the above that's, well, simply not true?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,450 times
You read too much into the word confidence on here or other dating sites.. its womenspeak for good looking guy who has the balls to approach them

Woody isnt gonna get more women then Clooney becasue of "confidence"

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
For the people who said "Clooney", I'd be interested to know, can you point to something I said (i.e., a specific sentence) in the above that's, well, simply not true?
I can't. I voted Clooney because I wouldn't know woody allen if he walked through the door. As far as I know I've never seen him act, nor seen anything he's ever made.

all i know about him is that he loves self-deprecating comments. To me that is a sign he probably lacks the confidence of Clooney, who comes across (in his films, and in person), as calm and collected.

Confidence isn't about "showing yourself and breaking the appealing image." I'd say it's actually the opposite, it is having an appealing self-image that does not break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities