Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:17 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I also love Sofia Loren and Liz Taylor,both had more eye popping measurements then MM.

true lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
What an insulting article.

Marilyn can act. The Hiltons and the Kardashians have no such talent. Lindsay used to, before she squandered all her potential away.
It's a horrible article. There is only ONE Marilyn and should NEVER be compared to people like the Kardashians, the Hiltons or Lindsay Lohan.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
If I walk in a shop selling Calendars - there Marilyn is, still selling almost 50 years after her death. The camera caught something unusual and vulnerable about her. Most of her film work is forgettable, except Some Like It Hot, she is great in that. She made her co-stars and director miserable making that. 40 takes trying to say 'it's me Sugar'. Billy Wilder said while he was making this film, he felt he hated women, Marilyn upset him so much. But, a few years later while making another film with a different actress, he admitted to himself "this film needs Marilyn." She was dead by then of course. There have been many Marilyn clones over the years, none a patch on her.
I buy a Marilyn Calendar every single year.

Why are we still fascinated with MM:
HowStuffWorks "Marilyn Monroe"

And when it comes to looks, simply put no one can ever compare

Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
I didn't read the article & don't plan to. Everyone has problems in this life, no one is exempt. The reasons I like Marilyn and (yes I do collect some memorabilia) have less to do with her 'personal philosophies' and more to do with the image she and Hollywood created. To me, she will always be frozen in time as a 50s icon of glamour. I feel sorry for her, because people in her position, who become infamous after death, are silenced, they can't tell us what their thoughts are on any of this or defend themselves. That's a pretty sh*tty position to be in, when everybody and their brother is waxing poetic on what you said, thought, did or didn't do.... I don't think anybody is looking at Marilyn Monroe and claiming she was a saint, the woman had all kinds of personal and political issues. Judy Garland had a bunch of troubles too, but that doesn't take away from the magic of "The Wizard of Oz." And FYI the last time I checked she could act....see: All About Eve & The Seven Year Itch.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Recent article from a guy at Christie's who catalogued all of MM's personal effects--he designed the display for the auction.

Right away, I discovered that Marilyn was shockingly and unimaginably slender.

Marilyn Monroe was a huge movie star, but she owned diddly-squat. She was not materialistic!

Marilyn Monroe's Two Secrets

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,282 times
Interesting article. The comments following it were interesting as well. Personally, I think Marilyn Monroe is still a fascinating celebrity and always will be.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
I have a book I bought in 1973 about Marilyn, written by Norman Mailer. It is quite a large
book with many photos of her. A few are colour plates from 1945 taken by a photographer
called Andre de Dienes. These photos were taken before Marilyn went into films. She has
brown curly hair, and is about 19 years old. The book is full of beautiful pictures, some I've
never seen elsewhere. Marilyn had to do some pretty awful things early in her career, trying
to become a star. 20th Century Fox, like most of the others, mistreated so called starlets.
But, from the start to end of her film career, photographs of her, somehow caught something innocent, vulnerable, and incredibly beautiful. There will never be another like her.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,203,678 times
I was a movie mag junkie during my teen years--the 1950's so I remember very well Marilyn's rise to fame and the hoopla about her in her early years. What is said about her in the article was also said in the movie mags of the time but not quite so brutally.

I'm probably the only one on CD who remembers how those nude photos of her, made before she ever broke into movies, surfaced and catapulted her career into overdrive. Up to that point she was still climbing the ladder of success but those photos put her over the top. Remember, it was the 1950's. There was no Playboy, Penthouse or Hustler magazines then. Nude photos of real, live women were called "dirty pictures". After that, Marilyn became a full blown "movie star" (as opposed to "starlet"). Those photos did so much for her career that other stars jumped on that bandwagon and posed nude. (Sophia Loren was one of them but her nude photos are forgotten.) Marilyn was the ultimate sex symbol from that time on and movie audiences couldn't get enough of her. The world was her oyster.

Had Marilyn not died when and how she did, she would have continued on her downward slide and eventually died a lonely and mostly ignored, once-famous sex symbol. It was her death at an early age that turned her into the icon she is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities