Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_4 View Post
As i he couldn't be more of an modcut he is comparing what he does to the soldiers losing there lives everyday...he needs to just go away
Un-believable, isn't it?

I do think he's fan-oriented, and seems to be very personable. The Scientology carp gets me, though, and I've had my fill of these actors portraying soldiers.

Then there was that creepy salute to Scientology honcho Miscavige. Pretty creepy. Maybe that's what drove Katie over the edge.

Last edited by Beretta; 11-13-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
I met him once, he's really short. Anyway yeah his job of memorizing lines and standing on a mark, being paid a million dollars an hour is so tough.

pfft

Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
While I am no fan of Cruise, and think he is not a good actor, and is the product of branding more than talent; though his choice of words were rather poor, he was actually talking about his time away from his kid, not the job.

I disagree even with his time being away as being comparable; his family is not living life with the background thought their family member could be killed at any time, or worry any time a car pulls or the phone rings thinking it is bad news, nor are they living with the aftermath of things like PTSD or physical injuries.

Cruise on the other hand is in a safe environment while filming, has the money to fly his entire family out to stay with him, his out of town filming is rather short, and he has the money to not do it at all if he did not want to and not have to worry about housing and putting food on the table, along with not having the penalty of law if he decides to just quit and leave.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:58 AM

34 posts, read 80,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Are you serious??? You're defending this nut job??

Tom Cruise's Huge 1.7 MILLION Trailer! - YouTube

And how are you gonna try and split hairs on "harder and dangerous"??????????

A soldiers tour of duty is always hard BECAUSE IT IS DANGEROUS!!

US soldier recovers after losing all four limbs - YouTube

Think this soldier would have loved a huge his own trailer and butler ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Well I'm glad there are people buried at Arlington who have given you the right to express stupidity.
Don't talk about redfish1 like that you guys ...we couldnt quite understand anything about how this world works cause we're just simpletons

Old 11-09-2013, 11:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
There is a difference between something being hard or difficult and dangerous. Some people have a hard time understanding some basic things because of context. In some minds, comparing anything to what soldiers do is like melting the holy grail or something.

Some people also confuse a patriotic service with difficulty or hardship and that therefore if something isn't patriotic in nature, it can't be as difficult. That is pure nonsense and nothing but emotional confusion talking.

I don't happen to particularly like Cruise's acting style or even his personality from what he displays in public but to say that how he trains and works can't compare to anything else is really not thinking past emotion.

Here is the logic of most comments here: One person digs a ditch to set 10 piers while building a house. A soldier digs a foxhole for cover in a combat zone but somehow the physical effort on the part of the soldier is more difficult? Come on, how does that work in the mind? Keep the thought process limited to physical exertion and one can argue that digging the 10 holes for piers is far more difficult.

I didn't see in any comments made by Cruise that he was trying or even implying that his work involved the dedication to country and all the other factors that go into military service, that was implied by some of the commenters here so they could support their comments.

Cruise in no way compared his work to the service of soldiers but did compare his work effort to the work effort of soldiers. As for being separated from family and so on, that affects everyone differently but to say one is an less than for another is also shallow and shows a lack of understanding. In the case of Cruise and military service, both are choices, there is no draft.

In no way am I saying or implying that being a movie start is somehow comparable to military service, there are two completely different things done for very different reasons but I am saying that hardship can in some instances have the same effect on people. Also, physical hardship is physical hardship and hard work is hard work, comparable if you remove the emotional baggage some have in trying to understand it.

I happen to think Cruise is a glory boy and sympathy seeker but what does that have to do with how hard someone works? Nothing. I think people are confusing the patriotism involved with military service with the motivations for someone like Cruise working as an actor. That has nothing to do with hard work.

People that work at home (the USA) and contribute to the economy, support their communities and so on are just as patriotic as soldiers. Those who disparage or seek to lower the patriotism of others because somehow nothing is supposed to compare to that of a soldier is truly lacking in understanding what patriotism means. Each person chooses in their own way how to be a patriot and if anyone thinks they can decide what is more or less then it is they who demean the very service of those in the military who are willing to sacrifice to give everyone the right to choose.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_4 View Post
Don't talk about redfish1 like that you guys ...we couldnt quite understand anything about how this world works cause we're just simpletons
Thanks guy!

Old 11-09-2013, 01:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is a difference between something being hard or difficult and dangerous. Some people have a hard time understanding some basic things because of context. In some minds, comparing anything to what soldiers do is like melting the holy grail or something.

Some people also confuse a patriotic service with difficulty or hardship and that therefore if something isn't patriotic in nature, it can't be as difficult. That is pure nonsense and nothing but emotional confusion talking.

I don't happen to particularly like Cruise's acting style or even his personality from what he displays in public but to say that how he trains and works can't compare to anything else is really not thinking past emotion.

Here is the logic of most comments here: One person digs a ditch to set 10 piers while building a house. A soldier digs a foxhole for cover in a combat zone but somehow the physical effort on the part of the soldier is more difficult? Come on, how does that work in the mind? Keep the thought process limited to physical exertion and one can argue that digging the 10 holes for piers is far more difficult.

I didn't see in any comments made by Cruise that he was trying or even implying that his work involved the dedication to country and all the other factors that go into military service, that was implied by some of the commenters here so they could support their comments.

Cruise in no way compared his work to the service of soldiers but did compare his work effort to the work effort of soldiers. As for being separated from family and so on, that affects everyone differently but to say one is an less than for another is also shallow and shows a lack of understanding. In the case of Cruise and military service, both are choices, there is no draft.

In no way am I saying or implying that being a movie start is somehow comparable to military service, there are two completely different things done for very different reasons but I am saying that hardship can in some instances have the same effect on people. Also, physical hardship is physical hardship and hard work is hard work, comparable if you remove the emotional baggage some have in trying to understand it.

I happen to think Cruise is a glory boy and sympathy seeker but what does that have to do with how hard someone works? Nothing. I think people are confusing the patriotism involved with military service with the motivations for someone like Cruise working as an actor. That has nothing to do with hard work.

People that work at home (the USA) and contribute to the economy, support their communities and so on are just as patriotic as soldiers. Those who disparage or seek to lower the patriotism of others because somehow nothing is supposed to compare to that of a soldier is truly lacking in understanding what patriotism means. Each person chooses in their own way how to be a patriot and if anyone thinks they can decide what is more or less then it is they who demean the very service of those in the military who are willing to sacrifice to give everyone the right to choose.
This is so true

I'm not a veteran, but I did serve in the military, and I can easily say that nothing I ever did in the military was any more difficult than working manual labor in the private sector as a teenager. I've seen illegals roofing houses in south Texas in July. Now that's some hard work. We're talking about guys that are so hard That they make other strait men look gay.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,398 times
He is delusional

Old 11-09-2013, 02:19 PM

34 posts, read 80,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Thanks guy!
dude it wasn't meant to be a compliment
go look up the word sarcasm in a dictionary

Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
While I am no fan of Cruise, and think he is not a good actor, and is the product of branding more than talent; though his choice of words were rather poor, he was actually talking about his time away from his kid, not the job.

I disagree even with his time being away as being comparable; his family is not living life with the background thought their family member could be killed at any time, or worry any time a car pulls or the phone rings thinking it is bad news, nor are they living with the aftermath of things like PTSD or physical injuries.

Cruise on the other hand is in a safe environment while filming, has the money to fly his entire family out to stay with him, his out of town filming is rather short, and he has the money to not do it at all if he did not want to and not have to worry about housing and putting food on the table, along with not having the penalty of law if he decides to just quit and leave.
Anyone can be killed at any time. Soldiers served numerous tours of duty and got back unscathed only to be killed while in the USA. Bad comparison. PTSD is a fact of life for many people and it isn't only soldiers that can be afflicted.

You are equating money with something here that doesn't apply. Why is having money somehow an indicator of how hard or difficult work is? It is not.

Do I agree that working as an actor is the same or equivalent as serving in the military? Absolutely not. In the same way that having money has absolutely nothing to do with how hard someone works.

There are a lot of people who have more money that they can count and work extremely hard. How much money one has has no correlation to how hard one works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities