Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabaza dream View Post
Does that excuse the president's behavior? Grab them "because when you are a star they let you do anything"

I guess Ben Affleck grabbing women's reporters' breasts is ok too as long as someone else is doing it too.

I bet many won't mind if he uses his star power to grab their daughters' genitals. There are far worse things going on like some sonofprostitutes not standing up for the anthem.
You missed the point altogether. Trump's statement was not about his behavior, it was about what he could get away with, if he did it. Why do liberals give a pass to another liberal for actually DOING something bad, but condemn a conservative for merely talking about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
To me couch auditions are not surprising. When I was young I had the opportunity to work with a magazine editor and many women had no problem having threesomes with that pig. His phone would never stop ringing and the calls were all from "friends". I have never met someone who had so many "friends" in my life. However I don't recall this man using force to get what he wanted.

What surprises me is how aggressive Weinstein was. The way he talks to that Filipino actress... If people like Jennifer Lawrence or Blake Lively don't mind Having sex with him because they wanted an Oscar that's one thing, another thing is to force them to have sex with him. That's not sexual harassment, that's rape.

Didn't Madonna publicly once said that she wanted to know who she needed to sleep with to become famous? That's one who never had a problem admitting she was a prostitute.
There are a tremendous number of people who believe that if you exert control over someone's career, and you give preference to them in hiring or promotions while you are having sex with them, it is rape. Most companies will fire a manager who does that.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:04 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times

Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times
Quote:
Yeah it depends. Sometimes they are forced sometimes they are really not. I have known many women who not only gladly slept with their bosses but actually created those situations so they could advance. Power and money also makes people more attractive and some men who engage in this behavior are also physically attractive. Look at Ben Affleck... With his looks and fame, did he really need to grab that reporters breasts?

In a perfect world, people would have morals and would never try to sleep or date their subordinates. I feel no pity for those who sleep with their subordinates and get in trouble. None. Actions have consequences. The best thing a young woman can do in those situations is change jobs. Pretend nothing happen and get the hell out of there. HR is rarely on your side and the people with power will gang up against you. The real world is not like the movies. Life isn't fair.

I don't blame those women for not speaking up before or even now. It can ruin their careers. I just hate those who pretend they didn't know anything like Meryl Streep when it was very obvious this man was a predator. She should just shut the hell up.
What do you want her to say? Maybe he never harassed her or she wasn't a witness to any of his actions. If she didn't witness it then maybe she really didn't know. She could have heard rumors but maybe she wasn't 100% sure.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:33 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Oh puleease. This stuff happens all the time. In some business/office type of environments, but in entertainment industries, it's been rampant for decades. It's in modeling/fashion, the music industry (all forms of music), dance, television, theater. And it's not just women either. Plenty of pressure in theater. My classical musician colleagues got pressured all the time by conductors and symphony orchestra managers.

These industries are very small. If you are actively working in the field, whether you're a "big star" or a receptionist, just about everyone knows everyone or it's "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" where chances are you know people in common. And there's always gossip. lots of it. Of course, Meryl Streep "knew." It's one of the reasons I got out of this environment.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:49 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They had a choice? Some of these women were 17 year old girls. No, I don't believe they did have a choice.
I do believe there are several accounts of him hitting on women who refused and he let them go. Either those girls felt powerful enough to overcome Weinstein's influence (they all had famous fathers or boyfriends), or they're lying and they actually did the deed but don't want to admit it. Only one that I've heard claimed actual rape, and I haven't read the details. If true, that's damning.

But if he was not physically holding them down and forcing himself on them, but instead was using his power to imply that it would help these girls' careers, then yes, those girls did have a choice. They could have told him to bugger off and they would take their chances. I'm not looking down on them if they chose to do what Weinstein wanted (after all, we are talking millions of dollars here and a chance to live their dream), but it's still a choice.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:57 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
What do you want her to say? Maybe he never harassed her or she wasn't a witness to any of his actions. If she didn't witness it then maybe she really didn't know. She could have heard rumors but maybe she wasn't 100% sure.
I'm pretty sure Meryl Streep never had to sleep with Weinstein to get ahead as her career was going gangbusters by the time he came on the scene. But you know damn well she knew about the prevalence of the casting couch in Hollywood and turned the other cheek.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Hope they listen to Rose McGowan now.

"McGowan is doing so (coming forward) at a potential cost. The New York Times reported that she received a $100,000 payment from Weinstein in 1997; the settlement included a confidentiality agreement prohibiting her from discussing the incident, which allegedly occurred in a hotel room at the Sundance Film Festival."

No one took Rose McGowan

Old 10-13-2017, 08:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Please a lot of these celebs were complacent with what he was doing. A lot of them knew his rep and still did business with him, partied with him, hung out with him, etc..
Exactly. They are only speaking out now, to jump on the bandwagon. And some of them have done the same types of things that he's done, also. They are all grotesque.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
If you look up Weinstein's girls on the internet you will find a few forums were his tactics were discuss. These are posts from years ago before the scandal broke.

Yes some girls got lucky. He promoted them as "the next big thing" but many went along and got nowhere. Maybe a minor roll in a movie and then she was replaced for the next aspiring actress. The show business is a very tough environment, not even sleeping with all the pigs out there will guarantee getting a minor role.
Perhaps they "got nowhere" because they didn't have enough talent to sustain their career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities