Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,673,018 times

Advertisements

Have you seen the new show on FX, the character who is on meds for a mental illness said it best a couple of shows ago, we see in them part of us, and when they fail we are happy it is not us, or something along those lines. It is a good show if you are interested in our celebrity followings. Kind of like a car wreck, you should not look but just can not stop yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 05:32 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not trying to be a hater. I'm just trying to understand. So objective, well-considered opinions are wanted.

Why do you really care about the details of a celebrity's life? I mean, does it really matter who they're dating, who they're marrying, and where they're doing rehab? I mean just because somebody can carry a tune, has nice bosoms, and can ape emotions in front of a camera, why would you be so interested in their personal life? I mean, the checkout girls at the Piggly Wiggly down the street are more interesting to me than these narcissistic prima donnas.

So, please, shed light on why these people occupy more than a moment of your thoughts.
For me personally, it serves a purpose as "light entertainment". After discussing politics, suffering in the world, and other heavy topics- It's enjoyable to me to sit and read an mag or internet article about a celebrity of my interest. I would'nt want people to assume that just because I enjoy reading People or OK magazine that I don't care about real issues-thats not the case. It just nice to read something more mindless on occasion.

It is also nice to have a glimpse into a more glamorous lifestyle than most of us everyday people could'nt afford. I would'nt trade places with any of them, but they certainly don't have the day to day grind that bogs me down sometimes.

As far as celebs who are famous for only for their scandal and really don't posses much talent- those aren't the ones I like to read about. I am more likely to see a talented actor in a movie and then if I see them on a mag cover, I want to pick it up and read it.
As far as Britney-I am a true believer that if people stopped showing interest and and feeding the nutty fire that burns in her recent behavior-it would be healthier for her.We are funding her insainity.

Bottom Line- It's human nature to see how the "other people" live. Though it should supplement real hobbies. It's ok to enjoy as long as you are out there living your own life.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
It started in the 90s, the fascination with celebrity culture, and has only gotten worse since 9/11. The whole country is using celebrities as a type of sedative so we don't have to deal with all that's wrong with the country. Sure celeb life has always been a past time in the U.S. but this is my theory on why it has become all consuming. That and influential shows like Sex and the City that made a sexy casual dating type lifestyle seem better than real life. That's what people are addicted to now. The celebs who marry and have kids, well, we have to congradulate them and act like they're heroes for managing to have a normal life. I was looking through the People spread about J Lo's new twins Max and Emme. How ridiculous!! I don't care that she had kids.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:08 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,550,879 times
Why do you care that we care?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Why do you care that we care?
It's human nature to pass judgment on others (while politely professing to be mystified and not a hater.)

edited to add:
This thread should be a stickie with the other one at the top to head off further "questions."
I'm only half-kidding.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 03-22-2008 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
TV networks can apparently charge more for ads during one of these celeb/gossip shows because there is ALOT of them!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:47 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,020 times
There is something for everybody.
I am not obsessed about anyone from Hollywood. They all put their pants on the same way as you or I do.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:17 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,014 times
I follow Hollywood because it makes me thankful for the life I have. So many people think that money brings happiness and material things make the world go around. I think many of us are entranced with Hollywood drama because it makes us realize that things are not wonderful for them either. They have their problems, their unhappiness and it makes them seem more human. How many times have we looked at a celebrity home or lifestyle and say "Must be nice!" We'll in reality, it's not that great. That's my take on it all.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by cpg35223
Quote:
Why do you really care about the details of a celebrity's life? I mean, does it really matter who they're dating, who they're marrying, and where they're doing rehab?
I guess most adults follow these celebrity gossips for the same reason children read fairytales; to fantasize about how their life would be if they themselves were famous.
In the best case scenarios you get fans and in worst case scenarios you get stalkers because these people started to obsessively claim their object of worship as solely 'theirs.'

Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I've never been into that voyeurism type show. Who cares how others live? Especially those Hollywood people in their fake, plastic world. They do those type shows here too, imitating everything American like they like to do, people watch it like an addict grabs a shot of heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities