Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Last December or January I read the autobiography of Barry Livingston who played the youngest son Ernie on My Three Sons. I recommend it highly to anyone who is into celebrity biographies. He's a very good storyteller. He and his older brother (also on the show) grew up in a kind of "working class" entertainment family, with both parents struggling entertainers and living in a neighborhood in Hollywood, or else right on the outskirts.

There was one interesting moment he recalled where he was filming a movie or TV special with Ron Howard. Ron Howard was using a technique which Barry immediately caught onto which made it appear to "upstage" the other actor. But it was really just Ron Howard's acting technique, which Barry was trying to disrupt apparently. At least, that was my impression upon first reading it. When I read it a few months ago I thought that Barry was out of line by not just going along with the moment. He noted that Ron Howard has never worked with him since, implying that he found Barry annoying.

But I think Barry had more sense that I gave him credit for a few months ago. I actually feel that way about all the young actors on that show. I used to like Fred MacMurray the most, but watching the show now he looks so out of touch, if well meaning. Almost as if it's a result of his acting fame, since he was well past his "struggling" years by the time he became the star of this show.

Has anyone else read this? Are you a fan of the show?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:48 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
I'm a fan of the show but have not read the book. I may look for it.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I might read the book because I liked the show . I know fred macmurray was a millionaire when he passed and left his daughter a slew of money . She believes because he was a penny pincher in those days and he saved his money . just in case some of you did not know that .

Old 05-15-2018, 10:44 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I read that William Frawley( Fred Mertz) who played Uncle Bub would have the boys go back on The Lucy Show"" set and make noise to mess up Vivian Vance's scenes. They never got along. And Barry Livingston played Frank Mooney's son Arnold in Gale Gordon's premiere episode. Lucy gives him a butchered haircut.
I'm luke warm on Ron Howard. He did get great on Happy Days but on " The Andy Griffith Show" he was very forgettable and Andy Griffith was nobody without Don Knotts as his partner.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I read that William Frawley( Fred Mertz) who played Uncle Bub would have the boys go back on The Lucy Show"" set and make noise to mess up Vivian Vance's scenes. They never got along. And Barry Livingston played Frank Mooney's son Arnold in Gale Gordon's premiere episode. Lucy gives him a butchered haircut.
I'm luke warm on Ron Howard. He did get great on Happy Days but on " The Andy Griffith Show" he was very forgettable and Andy Griffith was nobody without Don Knotts as his partner.

The interaction between Griffith and Knotts was only a part of a very successful show--one which featured many impressive and memorable scenes having nothing to do with Barney. And the show remained successful after Knotts' departure to pursue what he thought would be a lucrative, solo movie career.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:45 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times
That's interesting information via Barry Livingston. I'm going to try to get hold of his book.

I watched 'My Three Sons' all the time when I was a kid.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:01 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I might read the book because I liked the show . I know fred macmurray was a millionaire when he passed and left his daughter a slew of money . She believes because he was a penny pincher in those days and he saved his money . just in case some of you did not know that .
I get the penny pinching ....he was a true scot

I am a huge fan of the show....taped years ago about 10 episodes from season 11....my fave season.

The show ran for 12 seasons and to my knowledge only the first 2 seasons
are officially available on DVD....come on Shout Factory....buy the rights to all 12 seasons,
I would buy them in a heartbeat.

A bit of trivia....Fred MacMurray was a golf nut and did not like the show to cut into his golfing,
so he had written into his contract a limit on how many days he would film,
so they shot all his scenes for the season quickly out of sequence and the rest of
the scenes were filmed at a more leisurely pace without him.

Last edited by BMI; 05-19-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-20-2018, 05:42 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Liked the show. Had a crush on Robbie when I was a kid. Haven't read the book but I've always loved Fred MacMurray.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 AM

125 posts, read 85,108 times
Thanks for the book rec, OP! I loved that program.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:37 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,218 times
I'm going to have to find this book too. I watched the show as a kid and still enjoy it today. MeTV runs this show on their early morning line-up and currently they are up to the Barbara-Dodie episodes, respectively Beverly Garland and Dawn Lyn.

There are also a slew of episodes available on You Tube, including the last couple seasons, such as the Chip-Polly years. I always preferred the color episodes with Ernie and Uncle Charley. Never cared for the B/W shows with Mike and Grandpa Bub.

Ernie/Barry Livingston was a cute little guy when he was first introduced but as he moved into his teen years, he developed a raging case of Jerry Mathers-itis, not so cute anymore but kind of awkward and gawky. Stanley Livingston and Barry had a great on-screen rapport though, not surprising as they were actual brothers.

Lastly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who fantasized about Katie and Polly. Ummmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities