Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times

Advertisements

Local radio station said Madonna turned the whole tribute to Aretha Franklin around to be a vehicle for her. They said Madonna made reference to herself fifty times, and only made reference to Aretha three times. What a waste of selection for a tribute. I hope there is another tribute to Aretha deserving of her talent, and her impact on American culture. Madonna has no class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
You can view it for yourself; it's all over the web.

It's always about Madonna. Even on the day Aretha Franklin died (Madonna's birthday), she was tweeting up a storm, referring to herself as "Queen."

Madonna claims her VMA appearance wasn't meant to be a tribute because she never could have done an appropriate tribute in a few short minutes. Nevermind the fact that she flapped her gums beneath a huge image of Aretha Franklin.

The funniest part was when she recounted how, many years ago, she auditioned for something, and sang Natural Woman a capella, adding that the men for whom she auditioned were "impressed." And I saw Elvis, yesterday.

Anyway, allow me to sum up her "tribute" to AF: Without Aretha Franklin, you'd never have Madonna!!

Old 08-23-2018, 12:22 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You can view it for yourself; it's all over the web.

It's always about Madonna. Even on the day Aretha Franklin died (Madonna's birthday), she was tweeting up a storm, referring to herself as "Queen."

Madonna claims her VMA appearance wasn't meant to be a tribute because she never could have done an appropriate tribute in a few short minutes. Nevermind the fact that she flapped her gums beneath a huge image of Aretha Franklin.

The funniest part was when she recounted how, many years ago, she auditioned for something, and sang Natural Woman a capella, adding that the men for whom she auditioned were "impressed." And I saw Elvis, yesterday.

Anyway, allow me to sum up her "tribute" to AF: Without Aretha Franklin, you'd never have Madonna!!
jeez that woman is something else.. she cant sing or act but has placed herself in such a postion in life that she and others thnk she has some talent.. shes never had talent, all shes had is vulgarity. a horror of a woman who now at her age should grow up and shut up... an embarrassment.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:12 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,510,259 times
I read about that incident.

Cannot stand Madge. She is a shrewd businesswoman and self-promoter, I will give her that, but she can't sing, dance or act.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:30 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
It was actually 56 times she said "I". Waste of air.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:46 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
The bigger surprise would be finding out what she hasn't done in that manner. Behaving distastefully is kind of her specialty, after all.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
The bigger surprise would be finding out what she hasn't done in that manner. Behaving distastefully is kind of her specialty, after all.
agreed how shes lasted so long is beyond me shes a joke..

Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
agreed how shes lasted so long is beyond me shes a joke..

What do you get when you stand Madonna on her head?

A brunette with really bad breath.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:57 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
While I am not as much a fan of hers as I was back in the 80's-2000's, I will say that MTV did NOT ask her to do a tribute to Aretha Franklin. Madonna was asked to announce video of the year and she was asked to tell any little stories about her early career. MTV put up a HUGE picture of Aretha behind Madonna, unbenounced to her. So yeah, while I agree that she tends to babble about herself far too much during award shows, this was NOT a tribute.

MTV even put out a statement saying that this was NOT a tribute.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
While I am not as much a fan of hers as I was back in the 80's-2000's, I will say that MTV did NOT ask her to do a tribute to Aretha Franklin. Madonna was asked to announce video of the year and she was asked to tell any little stories about her early career. MTV put up a HUGE picture of Aretha behind Madonna, unbenounced to her. So yeah, while I agree that she tends to babble about herself far too much during award shows, this was NOT a tribute.

MTV even put out a statement saying that this was NOT a tribute.

We've already established that Madonna's gum-flapping about HERSELF was not a tribute to ARETHA FRANKLIN, and that there was a huge image of AF behind her. No news there.

And, after outraged AF fans took to Twitter, it was Madonna who gave a feeble explanation. LOL someone should tell Amy Doyle, MTV's general manager and executive VP about that "statement" from MTV. Doyle, in response to the criticism, said that Madonna was chosen because of her an AF's Michigan connection. Also, AF's family has said that they were not offended by the tribute.

The only one who said that it wasn't supposed to be a tribute, is Madonna.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...paul-drag-race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities