Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 02:11 AM

32,041 posts, read 27,289,002 times

Advertisements

Opera singer Jessye Norman, one of the most renowned sopranos of the 20th Century, has died at the age of 74

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/o...rman-dead.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49887748
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 03:49 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,837,647 times
Yes, I saw that yesterday and can't believe it. It's a shock.

I saw her so many times at Tanglewood, both in the morning rehearsals when she wasn't all dressed up to the nines, just looking like a regular person, and in concert when she appeared almost magical. That voice! Few have that effect on me but I would sit spellbound. When she was finished, I would wish she would keep singing more and more and more. And I could hardly stop applauding. Only a very few performers have that effect on me, one being Placido Domingo (never saw him in person though), and there was just something perfect about their voices, something that would send a chill, something that would just grab you and hold you.

It was gratifying to see that she received assistance in her younger days and that she carried on that tradition of helping others who had talent. If she hadn't had some help, we might never have had the pleasure of experiencing her rare talent. And now I hope her legacy of helping others will bring similar results to new generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities