Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 14,265 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to Richmond from NYC and are trying to figure out how to meet new people and develop a network here. However, we are finding that while there is a vibrant scene for early 20-somethings, most people we meet in their late 20s/early 30s (like us) have moved to the burbs, have 2 kids and half a dog, if you get my drift. Obviously this is not true for everybody, but many of our co workers are in this position and we're not sure how to go about meeting people who don't have to call a baby sitter just to get to dinner.

Is there a "scene" for people in their late 20s who don't have kids yet? Are their clubs (not dance clubs, but social clubs) that you might recommend for people in our position?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 PM

21 posts, read 30,469 times
To be honest, Richmond is kind of lame for the mid to late twenties age group. I know a large group of young professionals around this age and it seems as though everyone is so convervative and worries so much about keeping up with appearances, it's kind of hard to to just let loose and have a good time. People here to tend to settle down quickly...and when I mean settle down, they really hang up their partying shoes. I'm actually looking at other places to move. I thought Richmond would be different.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 AM

743 posts, read 3,901,673 times
There's a good amount of people in that age group in apartments around the west-end of Richmond I believe. They mostly work in Innsbrook or Downtown. You're right though... I think most just work hard until they get married and buy a house on the south side.
:P

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,622 times
Wow. Well as a single guy who's lived in Richmond through that age range (I'm 34 now) I can say there seems to be plenty to do though I can understand it's not always a piece of cake meeting new folks here. A cheap and easy way to do it though is through meetup.com. Lots of clubs that meet regularly with pretty much any interest/hobby covered. I think many late-twenties, early-thirties folks are into the arts, music, and foodie scene. You may also want to look into HYPE Richmond, an organization of young professionals, volunteering for the park system or a museum... Tell us what your interests are and where beyond work you have tried to meet folks and maybe we can make some better recommendations.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:43 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,966 times
People in your age group live in shockoe bottom in the new converted warehouses, there's also a lot of bars down there that people your age always go to. Keep in mind richmond is a small, developing city and won't be anything like NYC

Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 PM

92 posts, read 254,809 times
Hi ric75, have you been to any of the HYPE events before? I've thought about going but I don't know anyone who'll be there so I was just wondering what the atmosphere was like.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling_in_the_sun View Post
Hi ric75, have you been to any of the HYPE events before? I've thought about going but I don't know anyone who'll be there so I was just wondering what the atmosphere was like.
Sorry I can't help you on that. I know OF them but have never been to an event but since they aren't a members-only group and are geared toward promoting civic engagement in Richmond, you'd find yourself in a friendly and welcoming company.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks guys! I will check out HYPE. While I realize that Richmond is not NYC, I'm not necessarily looking to recreate my home. I'd just like to meet some cool people in my age group. I've started volunteering for the Richmond Ballet (am a former dancer and a current dance lover) and it seems that all of the other volunteers are middle aged women.

We have definitely met some friendly people in bars, but the idea of exchanging numbers and becoming pals with somebody I meet in a bar seems a bit foreign to me. Where I'm from, we don't talk to strangers much

My husband and I love reading, biking, music (indie rock, folk, jazz). I dunno if that helps you make recommendations but I really appreciate you guys's help!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,966 times
Hm being from NYC I would have thought you'd be an expert at meeting people in bars! Any who, give it a try! I don't really know how else you are gonna make friends - how did you meet people back in NYC? Joining clubs and things is probably a good idea as well as meeting people at your job.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:15 PM

RVA-I grew up in NY. I met people in school and stayed in touch with them, and then met people at work and stayed in touch with them, and then expanded my network by meeting some of their firends. meeting people in bars is definitely something i've done, but it's something i did when i was single and men were picking me up, if you get my drift. hanging out in a bar with my husband, it feels a little out of the ordinary to exchange numbers with people, but maybe i'll have to get over that

Thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond