Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 07:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
Yep. Dustin Diamond has just died. It was on the News. iPhone. 3 weeks battle of cancer. I remember watching this sitcom. This was in 1990s. Saved by the Bell. I remember screech acting with Tiffany Amber Thiesen. Kelly Kapowski. He played the geeky looking guy. I never realized how he could have got cancer. But I guess poor health and eating led him to cancer. The chances of getting cancer increases with bad health. The show was about school kids in the 8th grade, later moving to high school and what goes on in a typical life of a teenager. I don't know what to say. I am shocked. I always thought actors were for good health. Especially in screech's case. He had to have exemplified health growing up and in the movie. It comes part of the territory. Something must have happened along the way. Poor health due to eating and environmental reasons also.
You don't know what you're talking about, nor are fit to comment about facts of someone's private life you don't even know.

While diet and lifestyle can contribute to developing cancer there are other triggers as well, with some totally unknown to modern medicine. Genetics is known to play a role in some cancers and this may have been a factor with Dustin Diamond.

Dustin Diamond never smoked but did have a family history of cancer. For the record Elizabeth Montgomery (of Bewitched fame) died of cancer as did her father and brother. Wife of Christopher Reeve also died of lung cancer but never smoked and lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

https://www.health.com/condition/lun...reast%20cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 03:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't know what you're talking about, nor are fit to comment about facts of someone's private life you don't even know.

While diet and lifestyle can contribute to developing cancer there are other triggers as well, with some totally unknown to modern medicine. Genetics is known to play a role in some cancers and this may have been a factor with Dustin Diamond.

Dustin Diamond never smoked but did have a family history of cancer. For the record Elizabeth Montgomery (of Bewitched fame) died of cancer as did her father and brother. Wife of Christopher Reeve also died of lung cancer but never smoked and lead an otherwise healthy lifestyle.

https://www.health.com/condition/lun...reast%20cancer.
While people in his family had cancer, it may be totally different cancers. It could be in his and his familie's genes that he's more prone to cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Roger Paul, a spokesperson for the actor, told NBC News: "We are saddened to confirm of Dustin Diamond’s passing on Monday, February 1st, 2021 due to carcinoma. He was diagnosed with this brutal, relentless form of malignant cancer only three weeks ago. In that time, it managed to spread rapidly throughout his system; the only mercy it exhibited was its sharp and swift execution. Dustin did not suffer. He did not have to lie submerged in pain. For that, we are grateful. "

The statement also read, in part, "We are aware that Dustin is not considered reputable by most. He’s had a history of mishaps, of unfortunate events. We want the public to understand that he was not intentionally malevolent. He — much like the rest of those who act out and behave poorly — had undergone a great deal of turmoil and heartache. His actions, though rebukeable, stemmed from loss and the lack of knowledge on how to process that pain properly. In actuality, Dustin was a humorous and high-spirited individual whose greatest passion was to make others laugh. He was able to sense and feel other peoples’ emotions to such a length that he was able to feel them too—a strength and a flaw, all in one."

Dustin Diamond, 44
That was in really poor taste for his publicist to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You're going down the wrong path. You're searching on LUNG cancer, which.. Everything i'm seeing, he didn't have.

Small cell cancers can happen many places. Lung is very common, but Larynx, bladder and other locations as well.

It sounds like he had cancer of the Layrnx. Small cell cancers there are very rare.. And very fast. 2 year survival is only 16%.

Hate it for him. 44 is far too young.
The article I posted (I'll paste it in below) said he had lung cancer. I just found a new article that does say it started somewhere else but ended up in his lungs. In the original article I posted, he said he never smoked and from what I read, smoking is a major cause. I had read that Dustin had been busy performing stand-up comedy in venues like bars around the US. We all know what bars were like before the no smoking laws. They were the "best" place to be exposed to 2nd hand smoke and tons of it. I was never into going to bars, even though I do smoke, I would go outside to smoke because of how poor the air quality was in bars.

It's not a cancer I have personal experience with. I guess it's like my hub's tonsil cancer that was found because he had a golf ball sized tumor over his right carotid. Our ENT knew it didn't start there, it was only when we went to an ENT in Philadelphia that we learned it started in his right tonsil, spread to a dozen lymph nodes.

He was so young. I hate hearing young people being taken by cancer. I'm thankful it took him quickly. That's the positive. He was able to live his life before starting treatment.

I looked up the odds and whether it's one that can be cured. Looks like there is a low survival rate of 14%. Had they found it earlier he may have had longer but once it goes to the lungs it seems like anywhere from 6 to 24 months.

Google stage 4 small cell carcinoma prognosis

Quote:
Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is very aggressive. For limited stage SCLC, the five-year survival rate is 14 percent . Median survival is 16 to 24 months. Median survival for extensive stage SCLC is six to 12 months

Dustin Diamond Dead at 44 From Stage 4 Lung Cancer

Quote:
A rep for Dustin tells us he died Monday morning. His condition had greatly declined since last week, and he was taken off of breathing machines in an attempt to get him to hospice care. His GF was by his side when he passed away, and we're told he did not suffer.

Dustin's death comes just a couple weeks after completing his first round of chemo after he was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell carcinoma ... which is commonly referred to as lung cancer. We were told the cancer started somewhere in Dustin's body and metastasized in his lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I googled, stage 4 small cell carcinoma which is caused by various things, smoking mostly, second hand smoke, asbestos and radon. He's never smoked so it could be the last 3. I'd say second hand smoke is probably high on the list since he used to go to bars. Bars were the worst places to go due to smoking.

Dustin Diamond Struggling with Cause of His Cancer ... Moldy Hotels to Blame???

Quote:
Dustin Diamond's cancer diagnosis has been hard for him to deal with emotionally ... and it has him questioning how this happened to him.

The "Saved by the Bell" star's rep tells TMZ ... Dustin's struggling to come to terms with having the type of lung cancer he has -- stage 4 small cell carcinoma -- because it's normally caused by smoking, and he's never been a smoker.

So, we're told Dustin can't help but wonder if his cancer is the result of his frequent work travel over the past 20 years.

The rep says Dustin's worked all over the country on film sets and at comedy clubs for meet-and-greets ... and sometimes had to stay in pretty questionable hotels and motels, because there were no other options.

We're told Dustin believes some of these spots might have had mold or asbestos ... which he could have breathed in, causing his cancer.

small cell carcinoma causes

Small-Cell Lung Cancer Web MD

Old 02-02-2021, 05:55 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
The articles I saw posted said it was lung cancer that was metastasized from another site. They didn't know from where.

Someone posted on another thread (not sure if it was this one - merged) It was probably larynx cancer due to heavy alcohol use.

Personally I think that every celeb that dies should have to have an accurate description of death. How many people make life choices on what they think happened, but really what was said to have happened wasn't true. I often find society covering up alcohol as a massive cause of cancer. Just so they can keep the drinks rolling into people's mouths. If people really knew the truth how often alcohol was the cause of cancer, they would never touch the stuff.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The articles I saw posted said it was lung cancer that was metastasized from another site. They didn't know from where.

Someone posted on another thread (not sure if it was this one - merged) It was probably larynx cancer due to heavy alcohol use.

Personally I think that every celeb that dies should have to have an accurate description of death. How many people make life choices on what they think happened, but really what was said to have happened wasn't true. I often find society covering up alcohol as a massive cause of cancer. Just so they can keep the drinks rolling into people's mouths. If people really knew the truth how often alcohol was the cause of cancer, they would never touch the stuff.
Why on earth would you want something like that? We don't even require such information when a POTUS or other high rank person dies, yet you want to invade the privacy of some so called "celebrity" and or his/her family?

When you get right down to it cause of death for anyone is really none of anyone else's business. IIRC many states don't release that part of death certificate information until a certain period of time has elapsed after that event, if ever.

Only way you're ever going to find out an exact cause of death is via an autopsy. Absent possible criminal involvement why should any surviving family consent to having their loved one's remains carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey just to satisfy public's morbid curiosity?

Old 02-02-2021, 12:47 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why on earth would you want something like that? We don't even require such information when a POTUS or other high rank person dies, yet you want to invade the privacy of some so called "celebrity" and or his/her family?
If you want to be a public figure then you have limited ability to be private. As it is now people tell lies about the reality and then people believe it and make decisions about it.

I have seen it happen too often. Lessons that could go out far and wide, don't, because the survivors of the family don't want their loved ones memory to be accurate.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If you want to be a public figure then you have limited ability to be private. As it is now people tell lies about the reality and then people believe it and make decisions about it.

I have seen it happen too often. Lessons that could go out far and wide, don't, because the survivors of the family don't want their loved ones memory to be accurate.
Which is their right. Just what business is it of yours (or anyone else's for that matter) how accurate the memory of some deceased person happens to be?

But since you seem so determined to go down this road why not make it a career? Take up historical writing; research and publish "facts" on people's lives so you can set the record straight. You might win that prize they're always giving away in Sweden.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:18 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Everyone is entitled to privacy, celebrity or not.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:

I said that, and I didn't say that.

I did note that it sounded like perhaps Laryngial cancer, that would make sense and would correlate everything. the neck lump, small cell, metastasizing..

And I did note that many head and neck cancers can be traced to alcohol.. But I left that for others to draw any connections. At age 44, while possible, I'd think it would be more unlikely than likely to be a factor.. Most alcohol related H&N cancers show up when someone in in their 60's or later. Even for massively heavy drinkers.

But.. So many unknowns. His family history shows a higher likelihood of cancer.. So, alcohol COULD be a contributing factor, but I would never say it was.

Quote:

Seems to me that it's the opposite. Freddie Mercury, Rock Hudson, Liberace... If I'm not mistaken, they all helped to put a human face on AIDS. Even Easy-E (old school rapper) announced it before his death and his had to have been MUCH harder due to the community he was a part of.

The only one I can think of that didn't is Isaac Asimov.. Who half have no idea who he is and the other half don't realize even to this day he died of AIDS. He was diagnosed in '83, died in '92 and the info didn't become public until '02. But, obviously, he didn't want it out, or he would have put it out there. Probably could have helped a number of people if he had based on the timeframe and the fact that he got it from a blood transfusion.. But.. it was his right not to.. His daughters finally released the true cause, again, because they thought it would help people. So.. This one kinda hits both sides of the coin.

Maybe just because of my age, your statement just brought AIDS front and center. I grew up during that whole mess. I was in middle school during the whole Ryan White thing and parents were having meetings, even though we were in VA and there were no kids with AIDS in or trying to go to our schools.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I said that, and I didn't say that.

I did note that it sounded like perhaps Laryngial cancer, that would make sense and would correlate everything. the neck lump, small cell, metastasizing..

And I did note that many head and neck cancers can be traced to alcohol.. But I left that for others to draw any connections. At age 44, while possible, I'd think it would be more unlikely than likely to be a factor.. Most alcohol related H&N cancers show up when someone in in their 60's or later. Even for massively heavy drinkers.

But.. So many unknowns. His family history shows a higher likelihood of cancer.. So, alcohol COULD be a contributing factor, but I would never say it was.

Seems to me that it's the opposite. Freddie Mercury, Rock Hudson, Liberace... If I'm not mistaken, they all helped to put a human face on AIDS. Even Easy-E (old school rapper) announced it before his death and his had to have been MUCH harder due to the community he was a part of.

The only one I can think of that didn't is Isaac Asimov.. Who half have no idea who he is and the other half don't realize even to this day he died of AIDS. He was diagnosed in '83, died in '92 and the info didn't become public until '02. But, obviously, he didn't want it out, or he would have put it out there. Probably could have helped a number of people if he had based on the timeframe and the fact that he got it from a blood transfusion.. But.. it was his right not to.. His daughters finally released the true cause, again, because they thought it would help people. So.. This one kinda hits both sides of the coin.

Maybe just because of my age, your statement just brought AIDS front and center. I grew up during that whole mess. I was in middle school during the whole Ryan White thing and parents were having meetings, even though we were in VA and there were no kids with AIDS in or trying to go to our schools.

Cancers are caused by different things. My hubs tonsil cancer was caused by HPV, not smoking or drinking. What I wish would be common knowledge about HPV+ cancers, especially in men, is that their partner needs to be watched for HPV because it will most likely happen. About 7 years after my hubs cancer, it finally showed up in me. Thankfully women can be checked for HPV. There are cases of HPV in people that have had the same partner for over 50 years, it lays dormant until the person is sick. With my hub, he had fallen from the top deck of his car carrier, amazingly he only fractured his shoulder and some bones in his face. No one understands how he got away so lucky because he's lost friends to the same fall. He then got sick with something like the flu.

What I copied said Dustin's cancer was caused by a few things, smoking or 2nd hand smoke plus being exposed to radon or asbestos. I hadn't read that he had a neck lump. Same thing happened to my hub. That was how we knew he had cancer because he had a golf ball sized lump sticking out on top of his right carotid.

My hub wants to move to Florida, I won't go mostly due to storms but another reason is medical care, especially for someone like my hub who's fought cancer already. God forbid it comes back; the last place I want to be is Florida. His odds will be better where we're at now in South Jersey. Philly is a little over 30 minutes away.

I'm 55, also lived through the whole AIDS nightmare. I remember Ryan White but I had already graduated school. Talk about shock when it came out that Rock Hudson, the man of many women's dreams not only had it, but it was confirmed he was gay.

I don't know anyone that had it but I had a few friends that lost loved ones to it before I met them.

I was very close to my elderly neighbor at my old house, he was like a grandfather that I never had. He told me his son died from lung cancer. His niece told me he passed from AIDS. I did know his son was gay, you could tell her was gay from looking at his pictures, he had a "Village people" look. The neighbors niece told me he was gay and that my neighbor was in denial about his only child, but I never repeated it to my neighbor. He had stayed with us for a month after he fell. I was driving him home, out of nowhere he quickly told me his son was gay. I kick myself for not having a conversation with him about his son but he knew it didn't matter to me because we'd had discussions about people that were gay.

Old 02-04-2021, 03:40 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What I copied said Dustin's cancer was caused by a few things, smoking or 2nd hand smoke plus being exposed to radon or asbestos. I hadn't read that he had a neck lump. Same thing happened to my hub. That was how we knew he had cancer because he had a golf ball sized lump sticking out on top of his right carotid.

Anyone saying it WAS caused by something doesn't know what they're talking about. Even the doctors don't know at present where it started. Everything is a guess unless an autopsy is done, which I don't know if that will happen or not. And even then.. Sometimes.. There's just no answers.

But.. Lung Cancer strikes people not exposed to smoke as well. We're conditioned to believe smoking is the cause for lung cancer and in most cases, it is. But.. You have people like Andy Kaufmann and others who never smoked in their life, never were around smokers who die from it. Asbestos is a very specific thing.. It causes Mesothelioma which is unmistakable. So.. that is 100% out. numbers are actually higher than I expected.. 10-15% of lung cancers are in people who never smoked. Now, you can't draw too much further than that because data on those people who lived with someone who smoked, or lived in a poor air quality area just isn't available.. But.. This is mostly irrelevant. The cancer did not start in his lungs. That is something that is known.

The most surprising part to me is the speed. 3 weeks is pretty astounding. We also don't know, at least I haven't heard.. many times, cancer doesn't kill someone suffering from cancer.. Side effects from treatment does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities