Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 11:16 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,060,700 times

Advertisements

Celebrities who looked older....

Carroll O'Connor ....he played Archie Bunker on "All in the Family" ....
he was only 46 when the show started....looking 50 plus...

Ed Asner....he played Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"....
he was only 40 when the first episodes were filmed....looked more like 50.

Character actor Victor Buono ....always looked a lot older than he was,
in his 20s he looked 40+

Wilford Brimley ....always looked older ...in the 1985 movie "Cocoon" he was only 50
when it was filmed and looked more like 65.

Willie Nelson....I remember when he was big in the early 80s and he was in his late 40s
looking older with a craggy face and long greying hair. Now he just looks his age...he will be 90 this April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 11:23 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,779,135 times
Judy Garland in the last years of her life looked a lot older than she was.

Old 01-13-2023, 12:48 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Celebrities who looked older....

Carroll O'Connor ....he played Archie Bunker on "All in the Family" ....
he was only 46 when the show started....looking 50 plus...

Ed Asner....he played Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"....
he was only 40 when the first episodes were filmed....looked more like 50.

Character actor Victor Buono ....always looked a lot older than he was,
in his 20s he looked 40+

Wilford Brimley ....always looked older ...in the 1985 movie "Cocoon" he was only 50
when it was filmed and looked more like 65.

Willie Nelson....I remember when he was big in the early 80s and he was in his late 40s
looking older with a craggy face and long greying hair. Now he just looks his age...he will be 90 this April.
Except for Willie, who smoked weed like a chimney for decades and also is much more musician than actor, it was a combination of excess weight and prematurely aging hair. Hollywood probably wouldn't tolerate that these days, except in comedic actors. Audiences want good-looking actors for most roles, and the poundage is a health risk, which can interrupt filming.

Old 01-13-2023, 04:34 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Judy Garland in the last years of her life looked a lot older than she was.
That's what drugs & hard liquor will do to you. Duff McKagan (Guns n Roses) looks way older than he really is. Cool dude though.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:12 PM

22,832 posts, read 6,434,961 times
Times change…
My grandmother in the 1950’s always wore dresses. Long hair braided and wrapped on her head. Black Oxford type shoes all elderly ladies wore. No makeup. She died at 73.

My mother, short dyed hair, pants, lipstick, comfortable shoes. Died at 90.

Me, short hair still medium blond, wear pants, wear makeup, 76.

My grandmother looked older than I do now but she fit in with the times.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:25 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Bold is mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I know that part of it could have been the clothes they wore or maybe they were trying to look older. ......

Julia Roberts was only 21 in "Pretty Women.'' I can't think of any 21-year-old girls nowadays that look as mature as her. I remember thinking she was 30 or 35. Linda Hamilton was only 34 in Terminator 2. It does not seem possible. So she's only a few years older than Miley Cyrus? It just doesn't seem realistic, yet it's a fact. She's younger in Terminator 2 than Hilary Duff is now. This cannot just be my imagination!

Some people have always looked older. Others have always looked younger than they are/were.

I've seen 15 year olds who could pass for 25.That's not some new thing.
When talking about a teenage female after the fact.....many a male has said, "I thought she was 21!"

Bette Davis and Angela Lansbury always looked older than they were.
Many character actors have looked and always played older than they were.

I'm sure there are those who look younger than they are:
NO ONE had better tell me Samuel L. Jackson looks 74! or Angela Bassett looks 64! or Rita Moreno looks 91!
I'm no big fan but I have to give it to her, I don't think Halle Berry looks 56.

But then you get into...well what does being a given age look like?

Also a person can look younger in a photo and then you get up close and without the camera filters and you see the crows feet and crepey skin....and you can see...."oh yeah. She's 46 alright."

I do believe that -- these days -- if a person takes relatively good care of themselves, there's no reason they can't appear -- easily -- a decade younger than they are. And some people more than that. Taking drugs aside, of course. Lisa Marie Presley was on 54....and looked 60 if she looked a day.

I know that Jane Seymour, Jeff Goldblum and John Stamos look damn good for 71, 70, and 59 years old.

But again....what does being a given age look like?
There's a reason for years people have said....60 is the new 50.
But now it's more like 60 is the new 40! 70 us the new 50!

Old 01-14-2023, 11:23 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
That's a lot of excitement instead of addressing the actual premise, which I interpret as people who were stars by the 1970's. The only living example above that applies to is Rita Moreno, who does look terrific for her age and maybe always looked younger than her years. Did she do things differently from her peers? You'd think someone has asked her in an interview these past few years.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:57 AM

119 posts, read 71,879 times
Movie stars have work done not just their face but their bodies as well,use a lot of botox.
When they show up at gala with high heels,they have to inject botox in their heels to give it a cushy padding.
what is obvious is their lips,Jeff Bozo girlfriend is one good example.
The movie business is tough work,if you are injured,you take pain killers as they cant afford to stop shooting and wait for you to recover.
Nick Nolte used to take gulps of vitamins every day,look at him now.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:59 AM

119 posts, read 71,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's a lot of excitement instead of addressing the actual premise, which I interpret as people who were stars by the 1970's. The only living example above that applies to is Rita Moreno, who does look terrific for her age and maybe always looked younger than her years. Did she do things differently from her peers? You'd think someone has asked her in an interview these past few years.
It could be her genes,also she does not make too many movies,she is spared,unlike Elizabeth Taylor,she is always sick.when shooting Cleopatra

Old 01-14-2023, 12:02 PM

9,118 posts, read 6,170,326 times
To me, the cast of the Andy Hardy series of movies was the most disconcerting.

The 1937 movie, "You're Only Young Once", stars Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy, Fay Holden as Emily Hardy, and Lewis Stone as Judge Hardy. Mickey Rooney was 17 years old, Fay Holden was 44 years old, and Lewis Stone was 58 years old. Holden and Stone look more like the grandparents than the parents.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities