Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 09:43 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

I don't get it? Tonight I looked at some of her videos on youtube, and now I REALLY don't got it. Why is this person so popular? I know music, and have seen just about everyone in concert. The Allman Brothers Band, Alice Cooper, Joan Baez, Dylan, B.B. King, Irma Thomas, Mahalia Jackson, Heart, Moody Blues, James Brown, you name it. My father was a musician and owned a small label record company.

She has this 13 year old voice and looks like a young teen in her videos. Her singing is not at all special. The media raves about her songwriting ability. It's pop! Help me out here. There are sooooooo many more talented people in music, even the street musicians in New Orleans are way better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I don't know either. I speculate she must of made a deal with the devil. Some of these celebrities seem to be said to do so. Fame for what? Whatever the price, it has to be something she really should of kept.

Old 10-18-2023, 09:59 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Well, she does have more talent than the Kardashians .
On a serious note, I think some of these people are part of a machine so to speak.
I think having a ton of highly qualified promoters and specialty skilled people is now enough to make a so so thing a big thing.
I think it can also dilute the talent pool.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:41 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
You are not her target audience. She fills a niche. A big and very rabid niche.

I watched her entire Eras Tour concert from Seattle on youtube, just to see what she was all about. I was curious after I saw that her top ticket prices were in the thousands of dollars. Not only did she put on an absolutely first class show pulling out the stops, but masses of young ladies in the stadium were on their feet the entire time, jumping up and down and singing every line of every song -- whenever they were shown on camera. She caters to a young audience. Then they grow up and just stay hooked.

Swift is a phenomenon. She is an absolute music juggernaught to her fans.

Her stuff if fluff and pop to me, but I am not who she is aiming at.

Old 10-18-2023, 10:46 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
So many songs are written from a male perspective. Taylor Swift's songs are very much from the female perspective. I like her voice and the fact that she plays and writes her own music. She puts on a good concert, although I've never been to one.

I really enjoy her music and how she has managed to capture milestone life experiences in her songs.

I remember when Taylor first started performing as a country artist, it's been fun to watch her evolve over the years. She's now quite a force in the music industry with no signs of slowing down. I love to see her doing so well.

Old 10-18-2023, 11:57 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
She caters to a young audience. Then they grow up and just stay hooked.
So you're saying her music is created to captivate those w/ an underdeveloped frontal lobe - makes perfect sense.

Old 10-18-2023, 12:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You are not her target audience. She fills a niche. A big and very rabid niche.

I watched her entire Eras Tour concert from Seattle on youtube, just to see what she was all about. I was curious after I saw that her top ticket prices were in the thousands of dollars. Not only did she put on an absolutely first class show pulling out the stops, but masses of young ladies in the stadium were on their feet the entire time, jumping up and down and singing every line of every song -- whenever they were shown on camera. She caters to a young audience. Then they grow up and just stay hooked.

Swift is a phenomenon. She is an absolute music juggernaught to her fans.

Her stuff if fluff and pop to me, but I am not who she is aiming at.
Yes, she has been a professional since age 14, and of course, was a big hit with the pre-teens and teens, who she could identify with. Those kids that grew up with her are now in their 30s, so the ages of her fans has spread from the current 12 year-olds to about age 35. Most of the adults at her concerts are just there as chaperones for their kids, and of course "have to" go along with the cheering.

As for us older folks, I switched back from Hits 1 on Sirius to 70s on 7 and the Bridge because I got sick of hearing Taylor Swift every 3rd song. OK, that's exaggeration, but it seems like it. I still listen to what I grew up with but if I go to a Jethro Tull, Eagles, or Rod Stewart concert I clap politely, no jumping around and screaming. Of course, we didn't do that even back then, being more sensible, it was sit and listen quietly while passing around a joint.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:02 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
So you're saying her music is created to captivate those w/ an underdeveloped frontal lobe - makes perfect sense.
Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:03 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Try also Classic Vinyl on Sirius.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As for us older folks, I switched back from Hits 1 on Sirius to 70s on 7 and the Bridge because I got sick of hearing Taylor Swift every 3rd song. OK, that's exaggeration, but it seems like it. I still listen to what I grew up with but if I go to a Jethro Tull, Eagles, or Rod Stewart concert I clap politely, no jumping around and screaming. Of course, we didn't do that even back then, being more sensible, it was sit and listen quietly while passing around a joint.
You're really going to suggest there was no jumping around and screaming at concerts "back in the day"? Maybe not at Jethro Tull, but I know you've seen footage of Beatles concerts. Or Elvis. LOTS of jumping around and screaming.

Every generation has a few artists with a rabid fan base whom the older folks just "don't get". Taylor Swift is hardly the first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities