Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 09:04 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

ok.. so.. Start by saying.. Back in the 70's and 80's heyday of Richard Simmons, I despised Richard Simmons. Instantly turned the channel when he came on. The voice.. The energy.. Couldn't stand him. And I was like 8 at the time.

As time went on.. I gained a respect for him. Don't get me wrong.. He was still annoying and I would want to turn the channel anytime he was on. But.. Learning a bit about him. His genuine caring for people. The motivation he provided to so many. You had to respect that. He genuinely cares about people. He's a good person. Weird, but.. A good person.. And.. Maybe being the good person is what makes him weird.

I finally watched one of his Letterman interviews.. Keeping with the assumption that he was in on the joke.. He was an astounding sport and funny. And.. He had to be in on the joke, he wouldn't keep coming back otherwise.. Those Letterman interviews.. Hilarious.

When he disappeared a few years back and the theory is that he's having mobility problems and just wants to be a private citizen.. Ok.. he earned it.

Then.. This.. The first I heard was Pauly Shore as Richard Simmons. Possibly the two most annoying people ever. One portraying the other and having to act more annoying than themselves to try and show a difference.

Honestly.. I thought, it could be astoundingly funny, perhaps.. But.. A bit uncomfortable satirizing him if he didn't want it. Or, if they went the drama route.. It'd be a disaster.

I've heard about Richard disavowing the movie.. Then perhaps giving his blessing.

Then.. I saw it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjVXPlutAMI

It's the short film that the movie will be based off of. God forbid.. Pauly Shore nails it. The voice isn't quite there, but, better for his voice than him trying to mimic Richard. I mean, he actually captures the manic emotion of Richard Simmons, while simultaneously, being so annoying that I want to change the channel.

Seriously.. Give the above a watch., it's only about 10 minutes. I don't know which number, but I know that praising the acting of Pauly Shore is one of the signs of the apocalypse. And Pauly Shore as Richard Simmons in a movie that seems.... Sweet? I mean, it seems to be a.. Loving tribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 09:42 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
You were 8 and you had such negative feelings towards a TV personality? Interesting.
I was oblivious to such interest or attention to TV personalities at that age.
I first seen him in the 90s; thought he was a goofy character with a lot of positive energy. I also had a lot of goofy, positive energy so, in a way he seemed "normal" to me. lol.

Regardless of what he looks like, moves or dresses, you have to admire his positive energy but more so how he motivated people and made them feel better about themselves. The world definitely needs more characters like that, on and off TV.

Pauly Shore is also a kind and cool guy. Sadly, he was seen as an annoying person mainly due to the characters he played in the movies but in real life, he is actually quite personable and fun. That short video was good and Pauly did a decent job but unless he was portraying him in his later years, his energy levels were way too low compared to what Richard Simmons had back in the 90s.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Paula Shore plays this perfectly.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:39 PM

828 posts, read 771,926 times
Damn…..I don’t know if this is a movie that needs to be made, but they sure found the right star.

Reminds me of the first time I saw Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury…..amazing, he was just right

Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Damn…..I don’t know if this is a movie that needs to be made, but they sure found the right star.

Reminds me of the first time I saw Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury…..amazing, he was just right
Hmm, I didn't think he looked like him physically or face wise. Especially with his wooden acting and bug eyes....he is a bit creepy or weird tbh.
He was good in Mr. Robot though.

Old 02-01-2024, 07:52 AM

828 posts, read 771,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hmm, I didn't think he looked like him physically or face wise. Especially with his wooden acting and bug eyes....he is a bit creepy or weird tbh.
He was good in Mr. Robot though.
Certainly a minority opinion, but no problem by me

Old 02-03-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Certainly a minority opinion, but no problem by me
Which part?
Everyone I ever spoke about his looks and his acting said the same things I wrote but I can also imagine some would feel the other way.
No surprise there.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:13 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
We didn't deserve Richard Simmons. He was too wonderful.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:41 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
We didn't deserve Richard Simmons. He was too wonderful.

He is still alive, you know.. Don't kick the dirt on top of the coffin just yet.

Old 02-16-2024, 08:08 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He is still alive, you know.. Don't kick the dirt on top of the coffin just yet.
Richard Simmons is activating on Facebook, posting daily. I have always been a Fan, not because of being overweight. He teaches the correct way to eat regardless of the numbers on the scale. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money on fancy exercise equipment. All you need is some tunes and instructions.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities