Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

There's a thread in current events where I posted the pop tart history. - William 'Bill' Post, inventor of Pop-Tarts, dies at 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My favorite these days are raspberry frosted. I used to love the chocolate with vanilla filling which they stopped making. If raspberry isn't available, I'll buy strawberry or blueberry. Daughter likes s'mores flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
When I saw this, my first thought was to make a snarky comment. But more power to him. He created something and provided for him and his family for generations as well as made people happy. All I've done with my life is **** people off and be snarcastic, LOL

I went to Wiki, there is also a page about him. Bill Post gets credit for the creation, it doesn't say if he got any royalties which I doubt as he was a Kellogg's employee.

There is a show called The Food That Built America. There are two episodes that include Pop Tarts. The first episode of the first season includes the rivalry between the Kellogg and Post companies, which touches on the invention of the toaster pastries by both companies. In season four, episode one, is all about the creation of Pop Tarts, how Post was actually the first to make a toaster pastry but it was not ready to ship. They made a huge mistake by announcing their "coming soon, Country Squares" toaster pastry, which gave their rival Kellogg's a few months to invent and ship their own toaster pastry.

Bill Post, who was a former Keebler employee, was hired to create the new Kellogg's breakfast pastry. It took he and his team under four months to invent Pop Tarts, which were originally called Fruit Scones; which would end up being the first to hit the shelves.

Post revealing their Country Squares breakfast pastry months before it was ready to ship, was how Kellogg's was able to invent and have their toaster pastry in stores before Post's Country Squares were available. It was a move that I'm sure they kicked themselves about. This allowed Bill Post and Kellogg's to create their own toaster pastry in only four months. I don't doubt that Post advertising their Country Squares toaster pastry months before their product was ready to ship was something they regretted doing.

The Food That Built America, Breakfast That Pops, Pop Tarts

Season 4, Episode 1

Quote:
Two heavy hitting cereal rivals duke it out for breakfast dominance. Competition heats up when an idea is stolen, beaten to the market, and is a runaway success. The ensuing battle transforms the breakfast landscape from a labor intensive meal at the table, to a meal of convenience on the go.

Pop-Tarts History, Wiki

Quote:
History

In the early 1960s, Kellogg's biggest competitor, Post, invented a process for dehydrating food and enclosing it in foil to keep it fresh
. Originally used for dog food, they were looking to expand their breakfast market and adapted the process to a new toaster-prepared breakfast pastry. Post announced its new product to the press in 1964 several months before they went to market, calling them "Country Squares".[5]

Because Post had revealed Country Squares before they were ready for the marketplace, Kellogg's rushed to develop their own version. They hired Bill Post,[6] a former Keebler employee, for the task and created their own breakfast pastry in just four months.[7][8] Initially called Fruit Scones, the name was soon changed to Pop-Tarts as a pun on the then popular Pop Art movement.[9] The product became so popular that Kellogg could not keep up with demand.[10] The first shipment of Pop-Tarts to stores sold out in two weeks, and Kellogg's ran advertisements apologizing for the empty shelves. This only increased demand.[11]

The first Pop-Tarts came in four flavors: strawberry, blueberry, brown sugar cinnamon, and apple currant, which was soon renamed apple-berry.[10] Originally unfrosted when first introduced in 1964,[12] Kellogg's soon developed a frosting that could withstand the toaster, and the first frosted Pop-Tarts were released in 1967. Sprinkles were added to several flavors in 1968.

As of 2024, there are over 20 standard Pop-Tart flavors, including hot fudge sundae, s'mores, raspberry, and grape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,127,286 times
And let's not forget William Shallert, he played Patty Dukes father and found himself unemployed after 3 seasons, then received an offer to do voice overs for Milton The Toaster, mascot to Kelloggs Pop Tarts. Milton's first commercial gig was in 1971 and he remained the Pop Tart mascot thru the 1970s. Milton had a successful merchandising run, products with Milton's likeness included mugs, plates, paint sets, and even board games. William Shallert died in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tar2f0JPfig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities