Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Why is it that you dont see the vile, filthy , degrading lyrics about women for example ...as no big deal in the way it influences his male audience ? Does his financial success from promoting such things somehow make it acceptable and right ? Youre a female .... how come youre not outraged with a widespread message that women are nothing but whores, tramps, and B's worthy of only being exploited and used ? Do you see that as 'talent' from such an Entertainer even though its legal ? Does it concern you that 1 in every 4 females sometime in thier life, will be sexually assaulted due in part to such messages from pop-Entertainers ? Have you looked at it from this angle before ?
You clearly don't listen to any of his or any other rapper's music.. so you have no right to comment on it. Nothing annoys me more than people who talk about things they know nothing about. I'm not religious, so you don't see me trying to dissect and insult bible thumpers and their bible do you? I don't know anything about it, so I don't feel I'm qualified to comment on it. Same should go for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
You clearly don't listen to any of his or any other rapper's music.. so you have no right to comment on it. Nothing annoys me more than people who talk about things they know nothing about. I'm not religious, so you don't see me trying to dissect and insult bible thumpers and their bible do you? I don't know anything about it, so I don't feel I'm qualified to comment on it. Same should go for you.
Im not 'trying to insult you' ; I watched the Guy known as 50 Cents on TV during an Interview and from listening to that and knowing what secular Rap Music entails, it is enough for me to formulate an accurate analysis based on what has , and is, being revealed by the pop-Rap Artist . It all funnels down to a lack of disrespect toward Authority especially Law Enforcement , a promotion of rebellion to morals and ethics, accumulating power, prestige, and material possessions, and encouraging a dissending view toward Females .

I have to work out at the Fitness Center listening to Secular Rap over the speakers, and I very seldom hear a Rap song that doesnt refer to Females as the 'W' or 'B' words along with using them for a copulation then ditching them. So i ask you again if you are a Female, why do you support this kind of music which degrades women and promotes wrong in society ? Thank you for sharing.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think this era of celebrity wealth is almost an illusion. A cultural illusion.

-Oprah worth $2 billion
-Madonna worth $600 million
-50 cent worth $100 ....

Blah, blah, blah....

While the average families income has been falling for 30 years. 99% of the population can't even comprehend those figures, what's the point of reporting it? You never heard about this kind of super wealth for entertainers back in the 50's, 60's, or 70's. Not like now. How much were the Osmonds making in the 70's? Probably not a lot. Or the Jackson 5. Money has overshadowed any kind of artistic integrity or ability.

I think some of these "successes" are almost creations of Good Morning America. They need someone to interview! They need Rihanna to interview about Chris Brown. Funny how these news shows can always find someone to interview (and promote), no matter how good or bad they are as a musician or entertainer. You have this major consolidation of media. Where the news shows also own the record label. Some "musik" now has become a way to distract the youth. Distract them with "music" from 50 cent or other artists. Don't pay attention to how their futures are being stolen by our politicans. Or how their lives are deteriorating.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think this era of celebrity wealth is almost an illusion. A cultural illusion.

-Oprah worth $2 billion
-Madonna worth $600 million
-50 cent worth $100 ....

Blah, blah, blah....

While the average families income has been falling for 30 years. 99% of the population can't even comprehend those figures, what's the point of reporting it? You never heard about this kind of super wealth for entertainers back in the 50's, 60's, or 70's. Not like now. How much were the Osmonds making in the 70's? Probably not a lot. Or the Jackson 5. Money has overshadowed any kind of artistic integrity or ability.

I think some of these "successes" are almost creations of Good Morning America. They need someone to interview! They need Rihanna to interview about Chris Brown. Funny how these news shows can always find someone to interview (and promote), no matter how good or bad they are as a musician or entertainer. You have this major consolidation of media. Where the news shows also own the record label. Some "musik" now has become a way to distract the youth. Distract them with "music" from 50 cent or other artists. Don't pay attention to how their futures are being stolen by our politicans. Or how their lives are deteriorating.
TEN dash FOUR on money overshadowing artistic integrity , ability, and especially lyrical morality .

Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
I agree, this upsets me too. Most of these noisemakers are untalented as well as trashy. I'm not Christian but perhaps Jesus's words fit this situation: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's." Their reward is in this world, and ultimately money is an empty prize. I would never allow my children to listen to this filth. I never watch the AMA's, am only watching it tonight to see Adam Lambert, whose voice is so outstanding that I take every opportunity to see him -- but I fully expect to be disgusted and heartbroken since I've read the reviews of his raunchy performance already. It's just hearbreaking when you DO see someone with talent and they have bought into all the degeneracy of today's music biz.

Anyway, look, I guess the only thing you can do is turn away from it and hope that in time, others will develop the wisdom to do the same.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Rapper 50 cents was debuted on NightLine last night...and it was amazing to see how such people who promote immorality (especially sexual) and hatred toward Authority of every kind thru their lyrics , can be so incredibly financially successful. Its estimated this Guys fortune is around $160,000,000 . Heres a Guy who got into a Gang at age 12 selling Cocaine after being groomed by his cocaine selling Mother . Then he works his way up to being a top Rapper and Movie star (9 total) with a huge audience and women throwing themselves at his feet.

Madonna though, tops all of the bad examples with an estimate amassed fortune of $600,000,000 .

Isnt it ironic how these promoters of vile filth , immorality, and degradation can be so 'successful' ?

But...'what does it profit a Man (Woman) if they gain the whole world, yet forfiets their Soul ?' .
He was also a good investor...Glaceau with Vitamin Water. The company was sold off to Coca-Cola. He had a 10% stake in Glaceau. This is the majority of his wealth. I doubt that you can claim this to be "vile filth".

Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
He was also a good investor...Glaceau with Vitamin Water. The company was sold off to Coca-Cola. He had a 10% stake in Glaceau. This is the majority of his wealth. I doubt that you can claim this to be "vile filth".
So, a person amassing a financial fortune trumps the degeneracy he infused young minds with in order to get there (?) . It matters not if its ill-gotton gain at the expense of others on a widespread scale ? It doesnt matter HOW you get to be wealthy , and people like 50 cents, Madonna, Hugh Heffner, Larry Flint, et al...should be given accolaides ?

Last edited by 007.5; 11-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: add

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I agree, this upsets me too. Most of these noisemakers are untalented as well as trashy. I'm not Christian but perhaps Jesus's words fit this situation: "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's." Their reward is in this world, and ultimately money is an empty prize. I would never allow my children to listen to this filth. I never watch the AMA's, am only watching it tonight to see Adam Lambert, whose voice is so outstanding that I take every opportunity to see him -- but I fully expect to be disgusted and heartbroken since I've read the reviews of his raunchy performance already. It's just hearbreaking when you DO see someone with talent and they have bought into all the degeneracy of today's music biz.

Anyway, look, I guess the only thing you can do is turn away from it and hope that in time, others will develop the wisdom to do the same.

Unfortunately, too many degenerates have already been spawned. Can't wait to see what is in store for the next generation coming up. If the AMA crap was any indication, maybe 50 cent will look like Little Bo Peep in a few years. Not sure how his ilk can be topped however, in filth and degeneracy.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:25 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
You guys must only listen to Christian music then because most artist today or in the past were not and or are not saints, had questionable pasts, inappropriate lyrics, sleep with several people off stage, cheat on their spouses, have kids out of wedlock, do drugs, and the list goes on. If Christian music is your thing then listen to it and turn the station when something else comes on. Why the big protest for .50 I'm not even sure he is doing anything right now anyways. Why not protest other artists too? Amy Winehouse did drugs in her video and she is still making money, selling her records, and she even won an award,PLEASE protest her.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
You guys must only listen to Christian music then because most artist today or in the past were not and or are not saints, had questionable pasts, inappropriate lyrics, sleep with several people off stage, cheat on their spouses, have kids out of wedlock, do drugs, and the list goes on. If Christian music is your thing then listen to it and turn the station when something else comes on. Why the big protest for .50 I'm not even sure he is doing anything right now anyways. Why not protest other artists too? Amy Winehouse did drugs in her video and she is still making money, selling her records, and she even won an award,PLEASE protest her.
Bayarea-girl, have you ever listened to Robert Cray? Etta James? Leonard Cohen? I could go on down a long list of artists who sing about the darker side of humanity and life, and do it in a way that is not only entertaining, but is enlightening.

Robert Cray sings a lot about adultery and guilt. But "guilt" is the key word here!!!! As the subject of his own lyrics, he does pretty bad stuff in order to gratify his own desires, lusts, whatever -- but there is a moral tone to all his work, and his songs are full of regret and guilt. He's thinking about what he did. He's wondering if making it with his best friend's girl was really worth hurting another human being. That is music I could allow my teens to hear. It makes you THINK. It doesn't deny the reality of human nature, but it lets you get a glimpse into the redemptive power of self-reflection.

Rappers are pure trash. There is nothing illuminating or enlightening about their lyrics. It's all bangin' hos and shootin' cops and snortin' coke.

So much for your little dig at those of us who can distinguish between rubbish and music. Not all of us are Christian (not that there's anything wrong with it!). But seriously, is this how you see the world? Christians are insipid because they're squeaky clean, but rappers make great music because they're filthy subhumans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities