Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Dimebag Darrell

Not because I worshipped the man, or was any kind of a rabid/obsessed fan. It was stunning simply because it once again proved that death can occur no matter where you are or what you are doing or what your age is. I saw Pantera play live four times when they were in their prime, and the fact is that you never know what a crazy fan is capable of.

The beauty is that he died doing what he loved the most. Playing the music. R.I.P. Dimebag
Thanx for answering......and I agree; it's not necessarily that you followed or even liked the celebrity...but it has some kind of an impact on you. Like who didn't watch WALTER CRONKITE that's over 30 years old...LOL. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:54 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Michael Jackson, it still seems unreal. And Bernie Mac. And John Ritter-who seemed more alive than him!

Old 03-07-2010, 08:34 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Aaliyah's death really affected me on a personal level. She died right after I began my sophomore year of college. She was really starting to become a big star. A week before she died, a student on our campus was killed in a car accident about a mile from our school's exit. Because they were both so young and I was only 19 at the time, I really learned through their deaths that even young people die too. 9/11 happened just a few weeks later, so 2001 was just an eye-opening year in general.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Michael Jackson - his music has been a big part of my life and spirit and I admired the man and his talent. He lived in CA and I always felt the state took on an elevated status because of his presence in it. I miss MJ and will miss the contributions he could've made in the future.

Paul Newman - he was an incredible actor but I admired how he lived his life and what he stood for. His character is missing today among today's celebrities and it is tragic.

Gregory Peck - aside from my father, he was the man I strived to emulate. A man of class, depth, goodness, fairness, integrity. I admired what he stood for.

Ted Kennedy - similar to Paul Newman and Gregory Peck. Here is a white man born of privilege and status and chose to devote his life fighting for the civil rights of people far less fortunate and historically persecuted. He was a giant and his departure left an emptiness in me. The world was a better place as long as he was around.

Floyd Patterson - Floyd was a fighter and a graceful man. He was the ultimate gentleman and a kind spirit. I used to wonder what drove him to participate in a sport that required a hardened heart and malicious intent. I had hoped to interview him and write a book about his life and ideas, but he died. Once in a press conference, he was urged to knock his opponent the way Ali liked to do. In response he stated, "I would never say anything derogatory about any fighter, being a fighter myself." Floyd Patterson was an incredible soul and his departure left me feeling as if he was underappreciated and his great wisdom untapped. With his attitude towards life, he might've held a key to combating high blood pressure, a major killer among black people.

Don Knotts - the comedy this man produced in the Andy Griffith Show and in movies like "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" always brought a warmness to my heart under even the most trying of times. His departure was a sad moment to me because this is what he represented. I always got the feeling that as long as he was around, the world was a better place.

Nicole Simpson - her death and the trial that resulted from it had a major impact on my life. The deep level of interest in that criminal trial alerted me that my passion was not in software development and mathematical modeling, but in upholding the law as a lawyer. It was when I decided to change careers.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Michael Jackson - his music has been a big part of my life and spirit and I admired the man and his talent. He lived in CA and I always felt the state took on an elevated status because of his presence in it. I miss MJ and will miss the contributions he could've made in the future.

Paul Newman - he was an incredible actor but I admired how he lived his life and what he stood for. His character is missing today among today's celebrities and it is tragic.

Gregory Peck - aside from my father, he was the man I strived to emulate. A man of class, depth, goodness, fairness, integrity. I admired what he stood for.

Ted Kennedy - similar to Paul Newman and Gregory Peck. Here is a white man born of privilege and status and chose to devote his life fighting for the civil rights of people far less fortunate and historically persecuted. He was a giant and his departure left an emptiness in me. The world was a better place as long as he was around.

Floyd Patterson - Floyd was a fighter and a graceful man. He was the ultimate gentleman and a kind spirit. I used to wonder what drove him to participate in a sport that required a hardened heart and malicious intent. I had hoped to interview him and write a book about his life and ideas, but he died. Once in a press conference, he was urged to knock his opponent the way Ali liked to do. In response he stated, "I would never say anything derogatory about any fighter, being a fighter myself." Floyd Patterson was an incredible soul and his departure left me feeling as if he was underappreciated and his great wisdom untapped. With his attitude towards life, he might've held a key to combating high blood pressure, a major killer among black people.

Don Knotts - the comedy this man produced in the Andy Griffith Show and in movies like "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" always brought a warmness to my heart under even the most trying of times. His departure was a sad moment to me because this is what he represented. I always got the feeling that as long as he was around, the world was a better place.

Nicole Simpson - her death and the trial that resulted from it had a major impact on my life. The deep level of interest in that criminal trial alerted me that my passion was not in software development and mathematical modeling, but in upholding the law as a lawyer. It was when I decided to change careers.
Great list and good, well thought out reasons for missing them.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM

380 posts, read 691,714 times
The deaths of Princess Diana, Aaliyah, Tupac Shakoor, the Notorious B.I.G., Michael Landon and Michael Jackson impacted me greatly, all for similar but different reasons.

Princess Diana-I was one of those little girls that had the "Fairytale Princess Wedding" fantasy after watching Princess Diana's wedding on television and seeing her beautifully-long wedding gown train. Of course, when I went into the bridal shop to purchase my wedding gown, I asked for the longest train in the shop! I have to admit: I had to the most beautiful gown with the most elegant, ornate, intricate and glamorous train! Princess Diana was killed a week after my wedding. My husband and I were in a hotel room still celebrating are nuptuals!

Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.-I was never a huge rap and/or hip hop fan, but I loved the enormous talents of both Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. They were legendary. So, when they were both killed so violently, almost a year from each other, I was devastated. Although there are some talented rappers out there today, none of their talents/skills compare to those of Tupcac and Biggie. They know it, too!

Aaliyah-My female Prince! I'm a huge Prince fan, and Aaliyah's style, flow and sensuality reminded me a lot of Prince. She died soooo young and unexpectedly, right before the 9-11 attacks, so that timeframe was very strange and depressing. It was as if she was too beautiful to die, as naive as that sounds.

Michael Jackson-Enough said. Michael Jackson, despite society's villification of him was a rare talent. He had the ability, talent and longevity to impact several generations of people-grandparents, parents, children, today's current generation, etc. and will continue to do so.

Michael Landon-My family watched "Little House on the Prairie" religiously growing up. In my early adulthood, I loved watching "Highway to Heaven". Both shows were faith, moral and value-driven. In "Highway to Heaven", the angel, "Michael", reminded me so much of myself; as if I go from place to place, and when God's will is fulfilled in that particular place, or for that particular person, He moves me on to His next glory and my next assignment, and so on, and so forth...It's that evident.

Death is sad...

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejuris View Post
The deaths of Princess Diana, Aaliyah, Tupac Shakoor, the Notorious B.I.G., Michael Landon and Michael Jackson impacted me greatly, all for similar but different reasons.

Princess Diana-I was one of those little girls that had the "Fairytale Princess Wedding" fantasy after watching Princess Diana's wedding on television and seeing her beautifully-long wedding gown train. Of course, when I went into the bridal shop to purchase my wedding gown, I asked for the longest train in the shop! I have to admit: I had to the most beautiful gown with the most elegant, ornate, intricate and glamorous train! Princess Diana was killed a week after my wedding. My husband and I were in a hotel room still celebrating are nuptuals!

Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.-I was never a huge rap and/or hip hop fan, but I loved the enormous talents of both Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G. They were legendary. So, when they were both killed so violently, almost a year from each other, I was devastated. Although there are some talented rappers out there today, none of their talents/skills compare to those of Tupcac and Biggie. They know it, too!

Aaliyah-My female Prince! I'm a huge Prince fan, and Aaliyah's style, flow and sensuality reminded me a lot of Prince. She died soooo young and unexpectedly, right before the 9-11 attacks, so that timeframe was very strange and depressing. It was as if she was too beautiful to die, as naive as that sounds.

Michael Jackson-Enough said. Michael Jackson, despite society's villification of him was a rare talent. He had the ability, talent and longevity to impact several generations of people-grandparents, parents, children, today's current generation, etc. and will continue to do so.

Michael Landon-My family watched "Little House on the Prairie" religiously growing up. In my early adulthood, I loved watching "Highway to Heaven". Both shows were faith, moral and value-driven. In "Highway to Heaven", the angel, "Michael", reminded me so much of myself; as if I go from place to place, and when God's will is fulfilled in that particular place, or for that particular person, He moves me on to His next glory and my next assignment, and so on, and so forth...It's that evident.

Death is sad...
More great answers; thanx for your thoughts and observations. .

Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM

600 posts, read 1,609,177 times
Michael Jackson. I'll never get over this loss. Been a fan all my life.

I was very sad about Patrick Swayze and Brittany Murphy, too. Grew up on both. Both died way too young. Watched Diane Sawyer interview with Patrick a few days ago (that was almost a year before he died). Heartbreaking.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
Michael Jackson. I'll never get over this loss. Been a fan all my life.

I was very sad about Patrick Swayze and Brittany Murphy, too. Grew up on both. Both died way too young. Watched Diane Sawyer interview with Patrick a few days ago (that was almost a year before he died). Heartbreaking.
Seems Michael Jackson and Patrick Swayze have been mentioned a lot in the thread.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,835 times
Princess Diana - I remember watching her wedding on TV as a young girl. It was such a fairytail wedding. Of course from then on I watched on TV and read in magazines what she wore and what she was doing. She had such elegance and style. I cried when the news came on that she was dead. It was way too soon.

Mother Teresa - I stayed up and watched her funeral on TV in the middle of the night. It was being shown live from India. I had never seen so many representatives from so many different religions honor one person. A true saint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities