Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:50 PM

278 posts, read 622,089 times

Advertisements

N900:

Nokia
32 GB Hard Drive (you can increase it up to 64 GB vía microsdcard)
1 GB of total RAM (256 RAM + 750 virtual memory)
Powerful processor clocked at 600 mhz and can easily be overclocked at 1 gigaherz.
3D graphics accelerator card.
Flash compatible and 848 * 480 screen resolution (you can watch webpages in standard pc versions including Youtube videos)
Physical qwerty keyboard and also a virtual one.
3.5" screen (same size as iPhone)
Infrared port (you can use the N900 as an universal remote control)
Skype and Google Talk integrated (you can make international and local calls vía wifi (free) and 3.5G including video conference calls)
GPS
5 MP Carl Zeiss camera in the back and a 2nd camera in the front (videoconference calls)

The N900 is a powerful device, open source (MAEMO=Linux), and you also can run Android and meego in it.

Europe: 450 Euros
Usa: 348 dollars (amazon)

Why would some people pay so much for an IPhone 4 when they can
Purchase a comparable phone for less than Half the price?

The battery of an IPhone 4 cant be replaced, the phone is expendable.

Whats your favorite phone and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Phones have hard drives?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM

278 posts, read 622,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Phones have hard drives?
I meant "internal storage"

Maemo software | Nokia › Nokia N900 mobile computer

Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
N900:

Nokia
32 GB Hard Drive (you can increase it up to 64 GB vía microsdcard)
1 GB of total RAM (256 RAM + 750 virtual memory)
Powerful processor clocked at 600 mhz and can easily be overclocked at 1 gigaherz.
3D graphics accelerator card.
Flash compatible and 848 * 480 screen resolution (you can watch webpages in standard pc versions including Youtube videos)
Physical qwerty keyboard and also a virtual one.
3.5" screen (same size as iPhone)
Infrared port (you can use the N900 as an universal remote control)
Skype and Google Talk integrated (you can make international and local calls vía wifi (free) and 3.5G including video conference calls)
GPS
5 MP Carl Zeiss camera in the back and a 2nd camera in the front (videoconference calls)

The N900 is a powerful device, open source (MAEMO=Linux), and you also can run Android and meego in it.

The battery of an IPhone 4 cant be replaced, the phone is expendable.

Whats your favorite phone and why?
My life is more in the less that $50 phone but if I were to put up some bucks, that's the phone I'd have.

I've had a Nokia before, an excellent product.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post

uhh... because it's $150 less at VZW and $300 less at ATT. Uhh and you can buy it from VZW or ATT and it will be activated and ready to go.

A lot of people don't want to deal with un unlocked phone. They want to buy a phone at a store and walk out with a phone that works. Not buy one, wait for delivery, and this one probably doesn't work on VZW so you are stuck with ATT so you have to get a SIM card and blablabla...
And does it have any apps? no? Fail.

The iPhone an Droids are good phones.

Better question: Why hasn't Nokia partnered with an American Cell Phone carrier yet? Then they would sell them.
Nokia = fail....

Old 04-19-2011, 05:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I've never owned a Nokia.

I had AT&T and T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon. All the phones are pretty good in most cities. The first two are hit and miss in rural areas where there is a lot of hiills and forests, and not many towers. The last two are much better in these areas and also in the moutain areas of the southwest.

The quality of the phones and the battery life is all hit and miss. Some were great, some were awful.

I currently own the LG Rumor Touch/slide qwerty keyboard and a virtual keyboard from Sprint. I also own a iPhone 4 from Verizon store. I can't say much for the VZN employees, but I like the phone. It works and I didn't need a EE to learn how to use it. The picture are far better than any phone/camera I ever owned. I has more useful features than the LG and is less cumbersome to perform basic functions like unlocking. I can think of some improvements, but I can think of improvements for every phone I ever owned - including Ma Bell's handsets.

The best cell phone belongs to the guy/gal that is in love with it. Nothing in life is perfect, but for my idea of perfection at this point in life, iPhone fits me perfectly. A year from now, if it has perfomed as I expect it to, I will buy a new iPhone.

All smart phone batteries have a short life. iPhone has some accessories that work with Droids and other phones, and it also has an extended battery, so I really don't anticipate that the battery will be a really big issue for me, but then I don't live or die for wont of a phone. .

Last edited by linicx; 06-19-2011 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 AM

250 posts, read 379,539 times
I've got a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) and it's the best phone I've ever owned. The specs on it are awesome and on par with most smart phones out there. The screen is beautiful, best I've seen, and the camera is great. Plus it has an outstanding development community so I can flash ROM's to get the speed tweaks or visual tweaks or GPS teaks etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
my favorite phone that i've owned would be the kyocera 5135. it was unmatched in signal and call quality. i could get a signal to make a call in places no one else could with this phone; it was also a tough little handset.

unfortunately, i jumped in a pond with my phone in the back of my shorts. it was no longer available from alltel, so i had to go with something else.

http://www.cellulargadget.com/kyocera5135phone.bmp (broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I have a 5-year-old $10 pre-paid Tracfone. For $65 a year, I get 120 minutes. I now have about 238 paid up. I enter a phone number and press the green button, and somebody's phone rings and they answer it and I can talk to them. I mostly use it to call my land line to make sure it rings. I have some numbers stored in it, but I can't remember whose they are. I never think to take it out with me when I go, so if I ever needed it in an emergency, I wouldn't have it. My land line (with a $15 portable Vtech phone) costs me about twice as much, but that's mostly taxes and fees. My long distance provider charges 2c a minute, and sometimes my monthly bill is 2c or 4c, if I call someone who has unlimited long distance and tell them to call me back. Everybody I know has unlimited, so why should I? Nobody cares if I go to Burger King or not, so I have no need to call anyone and tell them I'm there.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-23-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a 5-year-old $10 pre-paid Tracfone. For $65 a year, I get 120 minutes. I now have about 238 paid up. I enter a phone number and press the green button, and somebody's phone rings and they answer it and I can talk to them. I mostly use it to call my land line to make sure it rings. I have some numbers stored in it, but I can't remember whose they are. I never think to take it out with me when I go, so if I ever needed it in an emergency, I wouldn't have it. My land line (with a $15 portable Vtech phone) costs me about twice as much, but that's mostly taxes and fees. My long distance provider charges 2c a minute, and sometimes my monthly bill is 2c or 4c, if I call someone who has unlimited long distance and tell them to call me back. Everybody I know has unlimited, so why should I? Nobody cares if I go to Burger King or not, so I have no need to call anyone and tell them I'm there.
I don't get your entire post and how it relates to favorite phones. Some of the stuff you're saying doesn't even make sense.

In comparison, I have unlimited long distance and local land line and don't pay a monthly fee for it at all. But my favorite cell phone is still HTC Incredible (which is a phone that I don't even have). I just think the form factor is perfect and I like how Android is not locked down.

OP, in regards to the Nokia, it's not available in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones