Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

I have blackberry torch and this past Saturday with the tornadoes going thru North Carolina as I was hunkered in basement I couldnt find a good doppler website that allows you to zoom in street level.

I have one for the PC that is interactive (computer is unplug with violent storms) but it will not load on the mobile.
Can the blackberry or smart phones handle Adobe or graphics that an interactive map have.

I just would like to be able to zoom in the county to see where the tornadoes cells are exactly located

Thanks
Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,775 times
I was thinking the same thing during the storm, but instead I had my laptop out (well, until the battery died anyway). All radars that I could find were at best 5min behind and at worst 15min behind. As fast as the storm was moving going down to street level wasn't going to help at all.

You might be better off using the scanner radio on the phone to listen out for spotters (we also had this going) or a battery-powered radio. The news stations were doing a great job of laying out potential paths as fast and as best as they could.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Bump because I was looking for something on BB App World just like this yesterday...

Sunny - Have you used the Weather Underground Wundermap? It tracks each cell, its intensity, and projected path. I find it the best of all the other doppler radar options out there.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Bump because I was looking for something on BB App World just like this yesterday...

Sunny - Have you used the Weather Underground Wundermap? It tracks each cell, its intensity, and projected path. I find it the best of all the other doppler radar options out there.

Thanks. this is better than other options I have been searching at least when I animate I can get idea of storm track. The radar is still county view but it large enough and with storm track.

If they could link wundermap & radar then I would be a total happy camper.

If you cross anything in BB App world let me know

Thanks guys.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Here ya go Sunny:

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

Under "Map Controls", select "Storm Tracks" for "NEXRAD Radar" (it's an option on the right under "Radar Options"). This will add the detail below to the storms. I take off all other options to remove the clutter, but you should play with it as some of the stuff is very cool.

I find this info invaluable when a large line of t-storms are heading for the area since it highlights each individual cell and I pinpoint myself on the map and where the storm track is heading.

You can also click on each in the map for more detail about each one.

Movement:

Tornado Vortex Signature
Mesocyclone
Hail
Storm

Storm Tracks:

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Ok I get it now I wasnt seeing anything because it clear now and didnt select NEXRAD Radar, I sent the link you provided to my phone to bookmark it .

Thanks for taking time to look into this for me.
I think the storm headed this Saturday will be weaker.

Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones