Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM

22 posts, read 708,503 times

Advertisements

I just recently got a HTC Rezound on my Verzion upgrade, but some things about it are giving me second thoughts. I have a friend with an iPhone 4s and have had the chance to borrow it for a day to use it as well. I realize that each person has a different pro and con list as far as phones go, but if I list my own list below I'm curious as to what you would choose between these two phones.

Note I'm not really interested in the super techy aspects of the phones, such as whether one has a little more ram or mhz on the processor or anything like that. I'm just comparing basic features in day-to-day use type of things. An extra hertz here or there or slightly lass ram isn't part of what I'm particularly concerned about:

HTC Rezound:

Pros: Large, beautiful screen. 2MP front camera for Skyping. Nice 8mp camera on back. 4G speeds. Decent enough call quality and good reception.

Cons: HUGE phone (thick) - with extended battery, it's nearly impossible to carry in a front pants pocket, and not super comfortable even with standard battery. Some apps like Youtube and Skype (Skype is important to me for family chats) are very buggy on it (Verizon confirms this) - so no real date as to if they'll be fixed to work right or not, or when. Skype required phone to be held sideways to orient correctly, Youtube videos don't even play at all in 4G mode.

iPhone 4s:

Pros: Good build quality and just the right size overall for good pocketability. All apps I use work the way they should on it. Siri (kind of a toy, but it is useful in some ways). Lots of accessories available for it.

Cons: Closed-system apps... kind of stalin-like in the app store. You have to use iTunes for certain things. 3.5" screen a bit "squinty small". And it's 3G only (biggest drawback).

Was going over this with a couple of people I know. On one hand, I'd love to have the iPhone's smaller footprint for carrying around, solid build, and ability to use all the apps I like to use without bugs. On the other, lack of 4G MIGHT be a bummer as I'm not always near a WiFi spot.

The HTC's screen is incredible, but it's such a thick phone, people start up with those "Are you happy to see me..." jokes when it's in your pocket. . The buggy nature of some Android apps on some phones is irksome.

So - as I said, we all have different primiary priorities when it comes to phones, but we do carry and use them every day, so it's not a light decision when picking one. I have 10 days left to swap if I choose to do so. Given my lists above, would you choose the larger screen and 4G, or the more stable OS and apps, and better pocketability of the iPhone, but stuck with 3G and a smaller screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,440,304 times
Personally, I don't feel like iOS or Android are any less or more stable than the other.

You definitely have the high points covered here, it's clear you've done your research and you know what's what. That's awesome.

Personally, I won't be going back to iOS. I had an iPhone, got my first android phone a year ago, (I say first because it got stolen and so I had to get another ) and I am extremely happy with it overall.

I haven't had the chance to use an HTC phone yet, so I don't know how well they're built, but I wouldn't call an iPhone 4 sturdy by any means. It might not creak but it's made of two panes of glass. One drop without a case and it's a gonner, no doubt. It practically REQUIRES a case, something that I'm not excited about. I don't really know why they decided glass on both sides and no bezel to keep it from hitting surfaces was a good idea.

As far as buggy apps go, that's what happens when you allow more apps on your stores. Going by reviews, overall ratings and warnings from app developers will eliminate that. I've yet to run across an app that seemed buggy or miscoded.

In the end, they both do the same thing. The thing that I look for the absolute most in a phone is battery life. Beyond that, screen size. I've gotten so used to my Galaxy S2 that the iPhone's tiny little screen makes it feel less useful to me and my big fingers. Again, this is something that is not universal. Some people (as noted by you) like the smaller size. That's awesome, differing opinions are what make the world turn.

If I were you, I'd see if I could borrow that iPhone for a day, or just go into the store and play with it for an hour or so. Get a good feel for it and decide for yourself.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 AM

22 posts, read 708,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
In the end, they both do the same thing. The thing that I look for the absolute most in a phone is battery life. Beyond that, screen size. I've gotten so used to my Galaxy S2 that the iPhone's tiny little screen makes it feel less useful to me and my big fingers. Again, this is something that is not universal. Some people (as noted by you) like the smaller size. That's awesome, differing opinions are what make the world turn.

If I were you, I'd see if I could borrow that iPhone for a day, or just go into the store and play with it for an hour or so. Get a good feel for it and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
I did already borrow my friend's iPhone 4s for a day (we swapped phones for the day). It was an interesting experiment. This is how I was able to come up with the pro/con list for the iPhone. My friend loved the screen of the Rezound but hated the overall weight/bulk of it.

I would say battery life is about the same on both. After a full day of moderate to slightly above moderate use, the Rezound was around 30% by 8-9pm, and the iPhone about 35% or so for the same use and time. I tried the Rezound with the extended battery and by the end of that day it was at around 55% or so, but again, with that extended battery on the thing, it's HUGE and weighs too much to carry around in a pocket every day.

I'll just have to think about it. I really do like the screen quality and 4G on the Rezound, and not having restrictions like you get on the iPhone, but also like the pocketability of the iPhone and apps that work right. I'll have to give it some thought to see just HOW much I really want a larger screen and 4G I guess. I have around 10 days to decide.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:20 AM

250 posts, read 379,665 times
I've owned two HTC's now and think that their build quality is by far the best of any phone out there. My HTC Inspire has been dropped on concrete more times than I care to admit and only has small scuffs in the outer metal case. The screen has never cracked. I've got plenty of friends with iPhones and broken screens.

I prefer the flexibility of Android over the rigidness of the iOS. If I don't like something on my Inspire I can root it and make it better. Hell, I can even update to the latest release without causing my phone to freak out, like I hear so many of my iPhone friends complaining about.

I've never owned an iPhone but I've never had reason to either.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,219 times
HTC's hands down. The iphone definitely takes the cake in the style category but the Android's open platform seems very promising. Apple has a very controlling demeanor with regards to their products. They like to tell consumers how they should use their products and that is that. Android lets you customize your phone a lot more.

I guess at the end of the day, what are you looking for? Style and easy to use-Iphone. Powerful and customizable-HTC.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
HTC for me, too.
I like Customizing my phone. Other then wallpaper, pretty much every iOS phone looks the same. I like WIDGETS. I have a Facebook widget, a NEWS widget that lets me very quickly scroll through 30-40 news stories any time. A sports widget so I can see at a glance if the Cavs or Vikings won last night. And a people widget that is like Speed Dial on steroids.
And HTC has the best widgets.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,676,911 times
I have the best of both worlds: HTC Thunderbolt with 4G hotspot and unlimited data, and an iPod touch.

I agree that the iOS apps are better. They seem easier to use, interfaces are more consistent, and in some cases, they are more stable.

I've duplicated some purchases across both devices. For instance, TuneIn Radio Pro is great in iOS, but in Android, it's missing features, the live stream buffer is hard to use, and it crashes a lot more often.

Sound quality from the headphone jack isn't even close. The iPod, as you would expect, is pretty good. It also has adjustable EQ settings. The Thunderbolt has no EQ settings, streaming media sounds less natural, and there is a unacceptable level background hiss to use it as my primary portable media player. (Background hiss in a digital device? That's poor engineering.)

Sound quality may be a problem specific to the Thunderbolt, and might not exist on other Android models, but I expect that the iPhone gets that detail right.

On the other hand, the T-Bolt has a great screen, and browsing the web in Dolphin is pretty decent. It supports flash, if you need it.

I don't mind iTunes, so I don't consider it a disadvantage. It organizes my MP3 and AAC files so that I don't have to, and it manages and backs up the software on my iPod. I actually started using it about 2 years before I got an iPod, because someone gave me an iTunes card, and I wanted to buy some music. It works for me, so far.

I plan to abandon Android and switch entirely to iOS when an iPhone comes out that supports Verizon's 4G LTE network. That is one thing I don't want to give up.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 03-06-2012 at 02:42 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post

Sound quality from the headphone jack isn't even close. The iPod, as you would expect, is pretty good. It also has adjustable EQ settings. The Thunderbolt has no EQ settings, streaming media sounds less natural, and there is a unacceptable level background hiss to use it as my primary portable media player. (Background hiss in a digital device? That's poor engineering.)
In this area the Rezound trounces every phone on the market. It was built to be a premium music phone with Beats Audio baked in.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
My wife went thur three androids and noiw loves her Iphone.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM

145 posts, read 420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockphotoshooter View Post
I just recently got a HTC Rezound on my Verzion upgrade, but some things about it are giving me second thoughts. I have a friend with an iPhone 4s and have had the chance to borrow it for a day to use it as well. I realize that each person has a different pro and con list as far as phones go, but if I list my own list below I'm curious as to what you would choose between these two phones.

Note I'm not really interested in the super techy aspects of the phones, such as whether one has a little more ram or mhz on the processor or anything like that. I'm just comparing basic features in day-to-day use type of things. An extra hertz here or there or slightly lass ram isn't part of what I'm particularly concerned about:

HTC Rezound:

Pros: Large, beautiful screen. 2MP front camera for Skyping. Nice 8mp camera on back. 4G speeds. Decent enough call quality and good reception.

Cons: HUGE phone (thick) - with extended battery, it's nearly impossible to carry in a front pants pocket, and not super comfortable even with standard battery. Some apps like Youtube and Skype (Skype is important to me for family chats) are very buggy on it (Verizon confirms this) - so no real date as to if they'll be fixed to work right or not, or when. Skype required phone to be held sideways to orient correctly, Youtube videos don't even play at all in 4G mode.

iPhone 4s:

Pros: Good build quality and just the right size overall for good pocketability. All apps I use work the way they should on it. Siri (kind of a toy, but it is useful in some ways). Lots of accessories available for it.

Cons: Closed-system apps... kind of stalin-like in the app store. You have to use iTunes for certain things. 3.5" screen a bit "squinty small". And it's 3G only (biggest drawback).

Was going over this with a couple of people I know. On one hand, I'd love to have the iPhone's smaller footprint for carrying around, solid build, and ability to use all the apps I like to use without bugs. On the other, lack of 4G MIGHT be a bummer as I'm not always near a WiFi spot.

The HTC's screen is incredible, but it's such a thick phone, people start up with those "Are you happy to see me..." jokes when it's in your pocket. . The buggy nature of some Android apps on some phones is irksome.

So - as I said, we all have different primiary priorities when it comes to phones, but we do carry and use them every day, so it's not a light decision when picking one. I have 10 days left to swap if I choose to do so. Given my lists above, would you choose the larger screen and 4G, or the more stable OS and apps, and better pocketability of the iPhone, but stuck with 3G and a smaller screen?
When you did the upgrade are you on unlimited data or tiered? Reason i ask is in my opinion what good are 4g speeds when you have a data cap ? You get the same amount of data but a bit quicker but still lets say 2gb nonetheless. I have an android phone ( thunderbolt ) and an ipad and i really prefer apples app store over the android market . The android market just seems like a black market for rogue apps whereas apples offerings seem more professional and legit. Jmo .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones