Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Most of the Android II pones I have owned have fritzed out after about three to six months. They just go nuts, or the touch screen will not work or all kinds of simlar system problems. Today the guy at Verizon confirmed that is a very common problem with Droid IIs. I am wondering whether that is an Android problem or just a motorola problem. I may switch to the S III or whatever comes after it, if they ever get around to releasing it, but I want to make sure I will not have problems every six months like the droid. If you had an SIII for more than six months, have you had any problems? Had to replace it? (I have replaced my Droid 14 times - I am on my 15th phone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:05 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Most of the Android II pones I have owned have fritzed out after about three to six months. They just go nuts, or the touch screen will not work or all kinds of simlar system problems. Today the guy at Verizon confirmed that is a very common problem with Droid IIs. I am wondering whether that is an Android problem or just a motorola problem. I may switch to the S III or whatever comes after it, if they ever get around to releasing it, but I want to make sure I will not have problems every six months like the droid. If you had an SIII for more than six months, have you had any problems? Had to replace it? (I have replaced my Droid 14 times - I am on my 15th phone)
Wow, 14 times?

I've had a Galaxy S2 for about a year and the only problems I've had were very bad battery life, where the phone would get hot and the CPU would be running a background program, and when I broke my screen.

Right now, however, my phone is working great.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
The S3 was released in late June in the US.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 AM

80 posts, read 146,557 times
Quote:
They just go nuts, or the touch screen will not work or all kinds of simlar system problems.
The exact same problems would occur to me with an Xperia 10 @ Android 2.1 - final straw was when the touchscreen worked so bad the unlock pattern did not work so I couldn't get in.

Strangely enough, it was software problems. A reflash of the factory firmware would fix it.

I never did something out of the ordinary - no rooting, no downloading of fifty third party apps or anything like that. It cr@ped out anyway.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Only 3 months with the S3, and seeing operating foibles with it.

It sporadically resets settings deep within TouchWiz without asking.
The most maddening is when it cuts off my Bluetooth headpiece by unchecking the box "Use for phone audio." And to get the function back, often requires attempting to check the box multiple times, or pairing again.
And there are others. This morning I learned how to get my keyboard back for answering emails and texts. It had minimized the keyboard while I slept. No big deal, but I hadn't had coffee.
I cannot count on the volume setting to stay where I set it, and miss calls when it goes silent.
Screen brightness resets to Automatic from time to time.

The S3 seems to be a fine device, but compared to Touchwiz, I thought that HTC Sense on my original HTC EVO was stable and friendly.
I don't want to root the phone.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Only 3 months with the S3, and seeing operating foibles with it.

It sporadically resets settings deep within TouchWiz without asking.
The most maddening is when it cuts off my Bluetooth headpiece by unchecking the box "Use for phone audio." And to get the function back, often requires attempting to check the box multiple times, or pairing again.
And there are others. This morning I learned how to get my keyboard back for answering emails and texts. It had minimized the keyboard while I slept. No big deal, but I hadn't had coffee.
I cannot count on the volume setting to stay where I set it, and miss calls when it goes silent.
Screen brightness resets to Automatic from time to time.

The S3 seems to be a fine device, but compared to Touchwiz, I thought that HTC Sense on my original HTC EVO was stable and friendly.
I don't want to root the phone.
Sounds like similar problems only not as severe. Makes me lean back towards Iphone, but then I think "battery not replaceable"

BTW does S III have a removable battery? If not then I should be looking at something else.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasra View Post
The exact same problems would occur to me with an Xperia 10 @ Android 2.1 - final straw was when the touchscreen worked so bad the unlock pattern did not work so I couldn't get in.

Strangely enough, it was software problems. A reflash of the factory firmware would fix it.

I never did something out of the ordinary - no rooting, no downloading of fifty third party apps or anything like that. It cr@ped out anyway.
I have android 2.3.4. I have no idea what "rooting" is so I guess I did nto do that. THe problems are wierd and the pop up and then go away and then come back. Sometimes the touch screen will nto work at all, and sometimes the phone just does stuff like browse the inteternet or test people form my address book and I cannto stop it becuase the touch screen will not function. I turn the phone off for an hour and back on - no good, it just will not work, then I wake up the next day and it works fine. Sometimes the VR switches to Spanish and then just as mysteriously switches back to English. It does all sorts of wacko things. Earlier phones did too after a while. When I ask for help from Verizon, they just get me a new phone. Then eventually, that one goes wacko too. Of the 15 phones, only maybe three of them had physical problems, the rest went berserk. Sounds like the SIII might do that too. Our IT guy said he thought the problem was Motorola's interface with android (or that is how I understood what he explained) He thought a Samsung or Nokia phone would not have those problems. Maybe he is wrong.

I would just get an Iphone, but there are a couple of overwhelming shortfalls with the Iphone (fixed battery, no useful navigation, cost of accessories when I already have a ton of android accessories, a few other things). Maybe I should just keep my stupid berserk Droid II and just keep replacing it every few months.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
I have android 2.3.4. I have no idea what "rooting" is so I guess I did nto do that. THe problems are wierd and the pop up and then go away and then come back. Sometimes the touch screen will nto work at all, and sometimes the phone just does stuff like browse the inteternet or test people form my address book and I cannto stop it becuase the touch screen will not function. I turn the phone off for an hour and back on - no good, it just will not work, then I wake up the next day and it works fine. Sometimes the VR switches to Spanish and then just as mysteriously switches back to English. It does all sorts of wacko things. Earlier phones did too after a while. When I ask for help from Verizon, they just get me a new phone. Then eventually, that one goes wacko too. Of the 15 phones, only maybe three of them had physical problems, the rest went berserk. Sounds like the SIII might do that too. Our IT guy said he thought the problem was Motorola's interface with android (or that is how I understood what he explained) He thought a Samsung or Nokia phone would not have those problems. Maybe he is wrong.

I would just get an Iphone, but there are a couple of overwhelming shortfalls with the Iphone (fixed battery, no useful navigation, cost of accessories when I already have a ton of android accessories, a few other things). Maybe I should just keep my stupid berserk Droid II and just keep replacing it every few months.
I don't know if this is just isolated to the Droid II, but I don't think it's a Motorola thing. I have had a Bionic for about a year now, and haven't had any of those issues.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Sounds like similar problems only not as severe. Makes me lean back towards Iphone, but then I think "battery not replaceable"

BTW does S III have a removable battery? If not then I should be looking at something else.
Yes the battery is removable. But, I have never taken the back off the phone to look at it.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
I have an Galaxy S3 I dont love the phone. Phones are not a thing to love, but the Galaxy S3 is an amazing, phenominal phone, the reason why I purchased it because of the removal battery, 1.5 dual core processor and the 2gig memory ram which makes the phone very snappy especially for the next 2 years. For me the purchase was all about longevity as well as how the phone can customize and suit me for my everyday needs. My Galaxy S 3 is my 3rd android phone with in the past 3 1/2 years. I went from a Samsung Moment which went from 1.5 cupcake to eclair 2.1, HTC EVO 4g which went from eclair 2.1 to Gingerbread 2.3.5 and now I went to the Galaxy S3 running ICS 4.0 and soon Jelly Bean 4.1 I'm very experienced with android platform, to make android run seemless and smooth one must go into its settings and make sure you dime the backlit, adjust data fetching for emails from 1-4 hours instead of automatic. Delete cache in your apps settings and delete apps that you dont use. Try to optmize your phone battery let it drain and charge it up again so the battery performs better. I had ups and down with my Evo 4G, the biggest issue with that phone was that the internal memory would deplete and I constantly had to delete the cache and limit my app usage, and battery drainage, in order to prevent drainage I had to use a task killer widget which shut off all apps to help conserve power, last sometimes I would get data lockups which would require me to reset my PRL if not powerdown and restart the phone. I only had an Galaxy S3 for a month and I know I'm going to hip road bumps, so far the only problem I have is that wifi switch comes on for no reason and once a in blue moon it wont turn on which would require me remove the battery and turn the phone back on which is not a big deal. After my Galaxy S3 in the year 2014 I will go to Windowsphone or Blackberry10. I like android but slowly getting tired of it, but I do prefer android over ios. To the op if your looking for a seemless smooth phone and worried about android chocking up, go get an iphone and quiet, if not wait for Nokia Lumia 920 running windowsphone8 which in my opinion the os is way better than ios and android.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-04-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones