Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I cannot understand how they are coming up with that high an average bill for one phone. I don't know anyone paying more than $100 for their service. Most are paying $60 and less. I'm paying less than $40 for unlimited on T-Mobile, as are all the other people in my business group.
The base price for ONE phone on Verizon Wireless is $100 for 2GB of data, which is what most people should get. $90 for 1GB.
Go to the site and act like a new customer. $100\$90. Clearly the most expensive.
The cheapest plan is $60 which gets you 250MB of data...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:25 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It says average bills per customer, not for one phone.
Then the info is completely useless. That's like complaining about a tank of fuel costing $800 but not specifying that you're driving a tractor trailer.

OTOH, if the average bill is $148, and there are two people on the average bill, why is anyone complaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The base price for ONE phone on Verizon Wireless is $100 for 2GB of data, which is what most people should get. $90 for 1GB.
Go to the site and act like a new customer. $100\$90. Clearly the most expensive.
The cheapest plan is $60 which gets you 250MB of data...
I just did that. That is expensive, no doubt. But there are numerous less expensive options for various family members.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:01 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Sure as you add people it gets cheaper but still... $90 is high compared to everyone else.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I have 4 lines on T-Mobile for the same price as two on Verizon.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
It amazes me when people complain about cellular prices on the big 4 carriers. If you don't like being on a contract carrier, you can chose from a multitude of prepaid carriers and just stop complaining about something you cannot change.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As they say, you get what you pay for. This coming from an AT&T customer.

It doesn't matter how cheap T-Mobile is, if your phone doesn't work when you go on a trip. We have two smart phones and pay somewhat less than the AT&T average.
If I remember correctly, T-Mo shares towers with AT&T. That is, or was, if you are out of range from a T-Mo tower an AT&T tower picks you up.

Not sure if this has changed, but I do know that not too long ago your phone's performance was largely regulated by the phone's antenna. That is, if your phone had a weak antenna then you would get dropped calls, poor reception, and just generally lame service no matter which carrier you were on. Most people do not stray too far from civilization as it is, even when they go on vacation. And if you vacation in the middle-of-nowhere, well, you should know what to expect. The only two exceptions I can think of are Province Town on Cape Cod and some of Maine...Verizon is the only carrier that works in these locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It says average bills per customer, not for one phone. I have 4 lines on my account and even after a corporate discount mine still averages around $280 per month which I think is ridiculous. What makes it so high is the rip off charges for data.

They state they have no intentions of competing on price but anyone that knows anything about business knows that you only stay on top for so long. Somebody will beat them to the punch on new technology or build their coverage up to where it is competitive at a lower cost one day and Verizon will be forced to compete in pricing one day.
I was on a shared "family" plan on Verizon that had I believe a 20% discount for being an employee of a certain company. My bill was roughly $10 more a month than it was on T-Mo. I went back to T-Mo for a bit and am now back on a shared family plan with Verizon. This time there are five lines and even though I am on the EDGE plan, my monthly share is about the same as it was when I was on T-Mo. So no complaints from me, but I am one who also does not believe the hype that Verizon is the best. They also have the phone I want, so what am I gonna do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
It amazes me when people complain about cellular prices on the big 4 carriers. If you don't like being on a contract carrier, you can chose from a multitude of prepaid carriers and just stop complaining about something you cannot change.
I've tried MetroPCS and Virgin in the past. No real complaints about either other than they both have lame choices when it comes to handsets, in my opinion.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 AM

6,480 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If I remember correctly, T-Mo shares towers with AT&T. That is, or was, if you are out of range from a T-Mo tower an AT&T tower picks you up.
Both companies use the same technology, but they do not have the same roaming agreements that they did in the past.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:01 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
I don't doubt that Verizon is the most expensive, but its very surprising that Sprint comes in second--as their network is light years behind Verizon and AT&T. I haven't read the original study, but is this based on cost per line or the total price per bill? If so, it could be that Sprint hit number two because more people have a bill that includes multiple lines on that carrier.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Verizon Coverage Maps - 2G,3G and 4G LTE Coverage Map | OpenSignalMaps - OpenSignal It costs lotsa bucks to build all those towers.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
No surprise but having gone thru most I know of when working Verizon is still my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones