Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Have you considered how you would handle communicating at your home if your cell phone was lost,stolen or damaged? My cousin went into panic mode when she thought her cell phone was stolen. That was her only phone.
Cell phones are not for everyone, since it requires the discipline to not leave it in places you won't remember, such as your laundry, under the seat of your car, the trunk, etc. Don't take it out of your pocket unless you intend to use it. Absent minded people don't usually do well with cell phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Our landline provides our WWW access. We turned the audio phone part off, which saved us a lot of money.

We use cellphones for talking. We have Verizon wireless and we pay $14.87/month for each phone.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:51 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
Quote:
Have you considered how you would handle communicating at your home if your cell phone was lost,stolen or damaged? My cousin went into panic mode when she thought her cell phone was stolen. That was her only phone.
I may not be the best person to answer this question as I have well over 100 cell phones at my house from the past decade+ (occupational hazard.)

Dialing 911 doesnt require a SIM card or actual 'live' service. Its mandatory to have this feature accessible on any cell phone.

I have said in a few other threads, but along the lines of this one. For anyone that has extra cell phones around, keep them. Put one in your glove box or make sure some of them are charged. They could come in handy.

So to answer your question, no, not concerned at all.

But curious, are you skeptical about the article or defending it?

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 03-10-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

But curious, are you skeptical about the article or defending it?
Neither one. To me that article was just giving the pros and cons of going cell phone only vs keeping a landline phone.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
I've been landline less since 2004. If I lose it, or it gets stolen I buy a new one and backup and restore the content from my old stolen/lost phone. I think if someone panics that bad then they should not go outside too often.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
Quote:
Quote:
Neither one. To me that article was just giving the pros and cons of going cell phone only vs keeping a landline phone.
Thanks for sharing that link. I think its a great discussion to have in 2014.

Its always best to weigh the pros and cons for anyone's given situation. I also think location plays a big role as well. Rural vs large metro as well as actual cell service.

On the flip side, I could easily see myself getting a landline if I were in a very rural area. Where perhaps access to hospitals or emergency services are much different than a more dense metro.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Cell phone carriers have to have you set up an e911 address, don't they. If you're calling from that address you should be okay, no?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Cell phone carriers have to have you set up an e911 address, don't they. If you're calling from that address you should be okay, no?
A what?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
No, it doesn't work the same way your home phone does, which has a name attached to the number unless it's a VOIP phone ( internet call) then a number isn't available unless you voluntarily give it to your dispatch. A cell number doesn't always come up at a PSAP ( public safety answering point) with the name of the subscriber, in which case enhanced 911 software has the ability to narrow the location of the call to within a city block or much closer if the phone has GPS. Some cell phones and prepaid cells don't have GPS and can block their number from coming up on caller ID, so the nearest tower is used to get a location.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
No, it doesn't work the same way your home phone does, which has a name attached to the number unless it's a VOIP phone ( internet call) then a number isn't available unless you voluntarily give it to your dispatch. A cell number doesn't always come up at a PSAP ( public safety answering point) with the name of the subscriber, in which case enhanced 911 software has the ability to narrow the location of the call to within a city block or much closer if the phone has GPS. Some cell phones and prepaid cells don't have GPS and can block their number from coming up on caller ID, so the nearest tower is used to get a location.
Most cell phones sold in the US since 2006 have had GPS' built into them. The only ones that don't today are the utter garbage phones... at which point, you're pretty careless anyways.

The idea that locating a phone without GPS is limited to the nearest tower is complete BS. You can get much more accurate results than just where the nearest tower is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones