Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 23,064 times

Advertisements

there should be a Law in place to default these devices not to automatically have the tracking on right out of the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 PM

6,480 posts, read 10,353,739 times
If you are that worried about it, being able to track your cell phone is the least of your worries.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascardan View Post
there should be a Law in place to default these devices not to automatically have the tracking on right out of the box.
Well, you can turn off some of the apps that track you (the ones that come with the smartphone), but it does not mean that certain agencies won't track you if they want to. By the way, on an emergency if you call 911, the responder knows your location.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
By the way, on an emergency if you call 911, the responder knows your location.
That's true for every phone made today, not just smart phones.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,931 times
It's a smart phone that out-smarting you. You trade your personal info for convenience.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM

115 posts, read 174,647 times
I have a love/hate relationship with my phone because of all the secret data I believe it is sending out about me.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
That's true for every phone made today, not just smart phones.
Yes. I mentioned something like that on page 1. Al phones maintain contact with comm towers and the rest, it means that if some agencies or someone with the right technology wants to know your location, they can do it every step of the way.

But everyday when you use your credit card at the local supermarket or anywhere else in town, your shopping profile is being adjusted. Even if you issue a personal check your shopping profile is being adjusted. You buy a gun, or ammo, or whatever, and you are leaving a trail behind you.

And no, I am not being paranoid, but even posting on this forum (s) provides all kinds of data to the "right" people. As for me, I don't really care. I served in the military, so my entire life is open like a book to those who need to know.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-31-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 05:34 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes. I mentioned something like that on page 1. Al phones maintain contact with comm towers and the rest, it means that if some agencies or someone with the right technology wants to know your location, they can do it every step of the way.

But everyday when you use your credit card at the local supermarket or anywhere else in town, your shopping profile is being adjusted. Even if you issue a personal check your shopping profile is being adjusted. You buy a gun, or ammo, or whatever, and you are leaving a trail behind you.

And no, I am not being paranoid, but even posting on this forum (s) provides all kinds of data to the "right" people. As for me, I don't really care. I served in the military, so my entire life is open like a book to those who need to know.
I have nothing to hid. If I were in a relationship and was suspicious of my significant others' whereabouts, I'd use this feature to check.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I have nothing to hid. If I were in a relationship and was suspicious of my significant others' whereabouts, I'd use this feature to check.
A lot of people do that all the time. There are apps that suspicious ''significant others" install on their partner's cellphone that allows them to see every email or text the person sends. The data can be used in divorce procedures and such.

But tracking is very simple using some of the pre-installed cellphone's apps. There is a lot of details about smartphone apps and the rest at the Kim Komando's webpage.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:43 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
my phones tracking me who cares I don't I have nothing to hide. it's not like someones gonna come up to you!! and you don't think companies like onstar track you. face it's 2014 you have no privacy no more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones