Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:46 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times

Advertisements

Why does anyone need this? And yes, I realize that isn't what it's all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 05:33 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Here's the thing - all the same things were said about the iphone and ipad. (Flop, who needs it, battery-gate, etc.). I do agree with the poster that said the ecosystem around apps will drive it.

In terms of competitors the Microsoft fit-band is actually pretty good, it's just that Microsoft is a 1% play in anything mobile. Samsung's gear watch (which I have and like) is pretty good *but* it has horrible SDK/API support. They went proprietary on app development so the millions of android devs out there can't really do much with it - so instant non-starter. Apple's desire to own the platform and make money off the apps on it will be extended to the watch. The dev community is already embracing it as another target platform and the amount of wearable type apps will explode.

That's why I believe it's going to be a game changer.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 AM

222 posts, read 239,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
$350 for a useless watch that requires you to carry your iPhone with you for it to work.... just dumb. If anything was completely unnecessary and an overkill this is it.

It'll be the flop of the decade.

You forget the battery lasts less than a day with minimal use -just to tell time. This is really stupid.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I quit wearing a wristwatch a couple of years ago, and nearly never miss it.

Now, to put one back on?
Hmmmm... Probably not.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Game changer? No...
Have you forgot about Android Wear? No mention of that in your post.
Pebble? Nothing there either.

Will it sell? Sure. Not as well as it should, thanks for those ridiculous prices Apple.
STARTS at $350. For the smaller one with a non replaceable band.
Ridiculous pricing, ridiculous proprietary watch bands that you cannot change....

Not sure how you think a WATCH from Apple is going to be a game changer.
Because Devs will support it? Because everyone said Apple's other products would flop and they didn't??
Pretty weak arguments there.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Game changer? No...
Have you forgot about Android Wear? No mention of that in your post.
Pebble? Nothing there either.

Will it sell? Sure. Not as well as it should, thanks for those ridiculous prices Apple.
STARTS at $350. For the smaller one with a non replaceable band.
Ridiculous pricing, ridiculous proprietary watch bands that you cannot change....

Not sure how you think a WATCH from Apple is going to be a game changer.
Because Devs will support it? Because everyone said Apple's other products would flop and they didn't??
Pretty weak arguments there.
And the fact that their last 3 major product intros were successes isn't enough to raise an eyebrow?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 AM

I want an RFID behind my ear(s) that ties directly into my organic optics with weather forecasts, stock reports, FB updates.
Unlimited data.
Renewably powered by silent flatulence.
Tells me when I am sitting, standing, running, walking, lifting, squatting, and why I'm doing that stuff.

I'll go $99 and sell the feed to Dude111.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Here's the thing - all the same things were said about the iphone and ipad. (Flop, who needs it, battery-gate, etc.). I do agree with the poster that said the ecosystem around apps will drive it.

In terms of competitors the Microsoft fit-band is actually pretty good, it's just that Microsoft is a 1% play in anything mobile. Samsung's gear watch (which I have and like) is pretty good *but* it has horrible SDK/API support. They went proprietary on app development so the millions of android devs out there can't really do much with it - so instant non-starter. Apple's desire to own the platform and make money off the apps on it will be extended to the watch. The dev community is already embracing it as another target platform and the amount of wearable type apps will explode.

iphone and ipad were game changers because there was nothing like them on the market. Apple created the market and have dominated since. OTOH iwatches have been around for years. I have no doubt Apple will build them better and dominate the market but at the end of the day its a niche market. 70 million people are not gonna rush out to buy an overpriced watch with limited functions like they did for iphone 6.

I've been an Apple customer since IIe and have owned an iphone since intro (even with all the annoying glitches in the 1st gen) but nothing has screamed "over-indulgent" and "unnecessary" like this watch. But if it somehow becomes a blockbuster hit then my opinion of the human race would probably reach a new low.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieplangdu View Post
You forget the battery lasts less than a day with minimal use -just to tell time. This is really stupid.
This article says it can tell time for 72 hours but yeah who wants a wristwatch you have to recharge constantly.

Apple Watch battery life revealed to last up to 18 hours - CNET

I mean if it were a fully functioning, stand alone watch that can replace the iphone I'd gladly put up recharging every day but its not, not even close.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM

TechCrunch sez, "You can't make this stuff up."

Will The Apple Watch Be China’s New Addiction? | TechCrunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones