Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,519,220 times

Advertisements

Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane - The Verge

Despite this Note 7 being a replacement,it caught fire on an airplane. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Perhaps the single must frustrating phone I've ever encountered -- for very different reasons that you might expect. The Note 7 is the perfect phone for me. It's exactly what I want. It's the perfect fit in my hand. I like the S-Pen. And I've been in the market for an upgrade.

Yes, I think that Samsung could have done better. They should have done 6GB RAM and 128 GB internal storage (which is apparently exactly what they're selling in China.) But at 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage along with the SD card slot, it's still a very good phone anyways. As one of the few mobile devices that fully implemented USB 3.1 on their phone's USB Type-C connection, gotta give Sammy props for attention to detail. And it's waterproof -- and I'm a klutz who has dropped phones in water and send them through washing machines, etc. So waterproof is a perfect fit. Of all the phones available to me, this was the one that just fit perfectly. I knew exactly the phone I was going to get!

And them the damn things started blowing up!!

I've been sorely tempted to just buy one anyways ... but I can't because they're not in stock anywhere. (Needs to be the Sprint version because Sprint's network is goofy).

Old 10-06-2016, 07:39 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Wait for 8.

They are going to accelerate release of the Galaxy Note 8.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
I believe at this point there is no official confirmation that the phones is a repaired Note 7, Samsung hasn't got their hands on it yet.
http://www.androidauthority.com/sams...e-fire-720355/

But you know you screwed up when your device shows up in GTA 5 as a weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GhODn4FRoE

Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Wait for 8.

They are going to accelerate release of the Galaxy Note 8.
I've heard that they're accelerating the release of the Galaxy S8 line, but I haven't heard anything about what they're doing with the Note 8.

I have heard quite a bit of rumor about the Galaxy S8, but not the Note 8. No flat version this time. There will be a fold-able version called the Galaxy X. Samsung is going all-in with the curved edges. Possible dual SD card slots. Probably 6GB RAM and Snapdragon 830. If Samsung is very very smart, they'll take a page out of ASUS' book and stick the maximum possible internal storage space in their phone without nixxing the whole dual SD card idea. The typical schpeel you hear is that you have to choose or that if you have SD you don't need massive internal storage. But ASUS did and the ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe has awesome specs right down the line -- so they didn't actually have to sacrifice to get it done. No hint of "You have to choose. Do you want lots of internal storage or do you want an SD card slot. You can't have both." Their phone just simply has both. And as most of us know, internal memory is way, way, way faster than SD card storage.

Things are trending towards 500 GB internal being the maximum in phones next year. And I guarantee you that ASUS and other Chinese manufacturers will put that in their phones. Samsung has the option to do that and to be the first ever to do that. Apple would be scrambling to come up with an answer for such a setup.

The great idea that we know Samsung patented but never did anything with: The laptop-like docking station. You put your phone in and powers the whole thing. Your phone becomes the touch-pad and your phone screen shuts off, while your phone powers the laptop. Could do a dual boot into Windows. Could do it as a Chromebook. Either way, it's a great idea. Your phone can finally completely replace your computer.

Ideas like that could convince me to wait around for another year. If Samsung isn't doing anything like (most likely the case) that, then why should I wait?

Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Sprint and ATT are offering any replaced Note 7 owner to trade in for any other phone.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sprint and ATT are offering any replaced Note 7 owner to trade in for any other phone.
The trouble there is that the Note line is unique. For whatever reason, nobody else makes anything quite like the Note -- a phablet that ships with a deeply integrated stylus.

The problem I have is there are very few choices. Sprint has always been guilty of having an incredibly tiny selection of phones. But they managed to get by because they have iPhones and Samsungs and a tiny handful of others onboard. Things worked out okay over time because the biggest names in each OS were available. The Note 7 debacle changes everything.

What do you do if somebody wants the following:
1.) Android
2.) Phablet
3.) 64 GB internal storage minimum.
4.) An SD card.
5.) A phone that is waterproof.
6.) A first rate camera.
7.) A phone they can use their 24 month re-up discount on.

Out there in the world of smartphones, there's a ton of options that'd fit the bill for most of that wonderfully. Trouble is, most of those phones aren't compatible with Sprint's network and can't be purchased at a massive discount for re-upping a 24 month contract with Sprint. My best choices are LG V20 and Note 7. All of the multitude of phones that are better than those two simply aren't available to me. So don't be too surprised if I end up buying explodey-the-phone later this month. The risk is ridiculously tiny and it's an absolutely awesome phone!

Old 10-09-2016, 05:37 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
$800-$900 phones are losing there appeal for me

The $200-$400 mid grades are getting too good to justify the extra $$$$

I've got a Moto X Pure paid $349, 6 mos ago
it's a Snapdragon 808 (Not as premium as the 810 but still quite zippy)
32 GB and 4 GB Ram
Decent camera, battery life is decent but not great.

It's probably 75% as effective as the high end Samsung's or the new Pixel's. But is the other 25% worth $500 more? For me that's an easy no but everywhere I look I see high end Samsung's and Apple's.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:44 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

They never had an appeal for me. I bought the smaller Nexus phones (4 & 5) when the price dropped right before a new one was released. With the demise of Nexus, and the Pixel replacement that is more expensive, I may need a new plan of attack when I finally decide to replace my Nexus 5.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post

I've got a Moto X Pure paid $349, 6 mos ago
it's a Snapdragon 808 (Not as premium as the 810 but still quite zippy)
32 GB and 4 GB Ram
Decent camera, battery life is decent but not great.

It's probably 75% as effective as the high end Samsung's or the new Pixel's. But is the other 25% worth $500 more? For me that's an easy no but everywhere I look I see high end Samsung's and Apple's.
The trouble for me is that Sprint's network seems to be incompatible with everything imaginable. The OnePlus 3 is an awesome phone for $399.
  • 5.5" 410ppi AMOLED display
  • Dual SIM.
  • 6 GB RAM and 64 GB intenal storage (but no SD card)
  • Snapdragon 820 (same as all the top-shelf premium phones this year)
  • 16 MP camera that does surprisingly well.
  • 8MP secondary camera.
  • USB Type-C port
  • Pretty much all other bells and whistles the premier phones have.
  • Most importantly, users are reporting excellent performance across the board.
  • Price = $399.00

OnePlus and Huawei and ASUS and Xiaomi and many other phone makers from that corner of the world are making some awesome phones for a lot cheaper than your Samsungs and your Apples. Frustratingly, all of them are incompatible with Sprint's network. I would love to throw my support to the companies that are delivering great phones at great prices with my wallet, but I can't. And I'm using the crap out of my old Unlimited Plan at Sprint, so changing carriers doesn't make sense at this point. Hopefully those guys start making phones that work on Sprint soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones