Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 03:03 AM

50 posts, read 73,727 times

Advertisements

What is the easiest way to get SIM-card with American phone number that will work outside US? I live in Spain and i need to have here in Spain working American phone number for my BoA-account. I did purchase American phone number for Skype however it doesn't let SMS working properly (which is required for banking verification). Any advice? Can i just purchase SIM-card on Amazon or Ebay and once it delivered insert it into my phone and use it here in Spain?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
I would check with Google Voice. With US carriers, you would exceed the set percentage of phone calls made/received on roaming networks during 1 month which could get you booted from the network. Skype may be a viable option as long as you have a reliable Wi-Fi connection where you will be staying or working. Remember that you cannot just buy a SIM and start using it until you have activated a phone # already. You could always get a local SIM and use a foreign carrier as long as the phone is unlocked. The foreign networks may offer data only plans but you should check with those networks ahead of time if you want to try that. Make sure you do your homework before you travel.

Best wishes and have a safe and happy trip.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:14 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
What he said. Don't screw around with an actual phone. There are charges to make calls with GVoice, but it's reasonable.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
My father is an expat living abroad and one of the biggest challenges is having a us phone number for authentication to his US accounts. We've yet to find a reliable solution. Wells was the most reasonable and provided a RSA token to authenticate vs. phone number.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:36 AM

@1200RT Google Voice didn't work?

Old 11-17-2022, 11:59 AM

50 posts, read 73,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
My father is an expat living abroad and one of the biggest challenges is having a us phone number for authentication to his US accounts. We've yet to find a reliable solution. Wells was the most reasonable and provided a RSA token to authenticate vs. phone number.
That's a situation i am in right now. I am expat who is living in Spain. The problem is that there is no option to type my Spanish phone number in my BoA account settings. They simply don't have such option and only accept US phone numbers. So first i used Skype with US phone number but it doesn't receive SMS.

I was thinking that i can just order SIM from AT&T or t-mobile, incert it into my phone, activate it and use in the Spain. Why is it so complicated?

Old 11-17-2022, 12:15 PM

It's not: https://voice.google.com

Old 11-17-2022, 01:21 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
That's a situation i am in right now. I am expat who is living in Spain. The problem is that there is no option to type my Spanish phone number in my BoA account settings. They simply don't have such option and only accept US phone numbers. So first i used Skype with US phone number but it doesn't receive SMS.

I was thinking that i can just order SIM from AT&T or t-mobile, incert it into my phone, activate it and use in the Spain. Why is it so complicated?
Just in case the question isn't rhetorical... In general, because security and convenience are usually inversely related. Add to that you have a need that is likely in the minority of their customer base.

That said - google voice MAY work. I know some institutions want an actual mobile number (verified by an actual lookup). But, trying this is easy - so, I'd give it a shot. If not, I believe BoA does support U2F keys... that's actually more secure than SMS 2FA. But you may have to ask them if all products/supports are supported. This would also be cheaper in the long run... $20-$30 one time fee. vs. a recurring fee for a mobile plan that you will rarely use (if G Voice isn't supported).

Old 11-17-2022, 01:57 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post

For what its worth, he has local bank accounts and transfers USD into local accounts as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
@1200RT Google Voice didn't work?
My dad is old school (or, just old) ... We haven't tried. Do the numbers accept text messages?

Old 11-18-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
My dad is old school (or, just old) ... We haven't tried. Do the numbers accept text messages?

They do, yes, all on the same webpage, too. Makes calls, send texts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones