Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 06:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

I find texting time consuming and not fun at all. To me, it's a waste.

However, I know it's with us and I need to embrace it.

I have tried speaking the text but often, the words are misspelled especially if it is a name.

Also, for work, I like having something I can print out if I need to go back and check something.

How did you become a good texter and what are your secrets? (Type of phone, what works, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
What kind of phone do you have?
Do you text for work a lot?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Just think of it as the next communication means. First there was talking. Then letters. Then telephones. Then email. Now texting. You just need to change your line of thinking and embrace it. It's like anything else though, the more you do it the more comfortable you will be with it.

We can offer some help if you let us know what phone you have. There's different apps and keyboards you can use that might make things easier.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:54 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Texting really does not make much sense in a place where we get unlimited calling, even when I am in the Philippines these days, we get an unlimited calling plan 30 days at a time and I will usually text someone to ask if it is okay to call them but some people insist on texting so then I have to text back.

As for the problem, get a phone with a swing out keyboard or a slide down to expose keyboard or a Blackberry or a 5.5 inch or larger quality android and then turn the android phone sideways to see the larger keyboard, I find that makes it much easier for me to text.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Phone right now

Open to switching

Samsung S6

Old 08-02-2017, 12:43 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Texting really does not make much sense in a place where we get unlimited calling, even when I am in the Philippines these days, we get an unlimited calling plan 30 days at a time and I will usually text someone to ask if it is okay to call them but some people insist on texting so then I have to text back.
This is a joke, right? We've had Unlimited Calling for years and yet texting (and WhatsAPP'ing) are as popular as they ever are. It's not a method to get around limitations on minutes. It's simply more convenient then using the phone.

Someone texts me: You busy tonight?
I am in the middle of something and don't have time to reply. 30 minutes later: No, I'm free.

Versus a phone call.
Someone calls me. I am busy, can't answer. Person must wait for voicemail system: "Hey, man. How are you? Just curious if you're busy tonight".
That has ALREADY taken longer then texting would have. and no result.
I see I have a VM. I have to call my VM. Wait for the prompts. Listen to the VM. Call said person back. Now we are at 3 times longer then simple texting would have taken.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Texting really does not make much sense in a place where we get unlimited calling, even when I am in the Philippines these days, we get an unlimited calling plan 30 days at a time
As I explained to my 70 year old friend, texting is about doing a quick communication when you are not wanting to do a five or 30 minute conversation. "Let's meet at Harry's in an hour." My friend got it and she texts as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is a joke, right? We've had Unlimited Calling for years and yet texting (and WhatsAPP'ing) are as popular as they ever are. It's not a method to get around limitations on minutes. It's simply more convenient then using the phone.

Someone texts me: You busy tonight?
I am in the middle of something and don't have time to reply. 30 minutes later: No, I'm free.

Versus a phone call.
Someone calls me. I am busy, can't answer. Person must wait for voicemail system: "Hey, man. How are you? Just curious if you're busy tonight".
That has ALREADY taken longer then texting would have. and no result.
I see I have a VM. I have to call my VM. Wait for the prompts. Listen to the VM. Call said person back. Now we are at 3 times longer then simple texting would have taken.
One of the beauties of the iPhone is visual voice mail. None of those steps you mentioned. One stop listen. No calling, no prompts. It's there on your phone. Touch "call back" and there you have it!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Text messaging is a passive way of communicating without being forced to reply. It's just email but quicker.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
When I am at work and on the computer, I do most of the texting on Gmail chat using computer and regular keyboard. I often have to text same message to a group every week. For that I have pre-typed, saved text on my phone, that I send by one click.
After work, I try not to type novels, just few sentences. I rather call and have conversation.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
I'm one of those who said "I will Never text" and you know what? Now I do. It took a little while to learn the etiquette and conventions, but I did it, and haven't looked back.

Do I want communication with my granddaughters? Why Yes, I do : and so I'll text.

I have an iPhone, and Messaging through this app makes it very handy and I don't have to use the now old-fashioned abbreviations, which sound and look very 12-years-old-ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones