Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,219 times

Advertisements

I heard that Verizon Wireless will no longer support Blackberry phones beginning 2019. Is that true?

I've had my Blackberry Bold and love it. It seems the only phone that has a separate icon for each email account, and the only phone that notifies with a red star for incoming emails. Also it's easy just to press the call button to get an incoming call (instead of swiping horizontally across the screen).

If Blackberry is to be discontinued in the near future, is there a phone that has similar features in the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Well first of all most phones can certainly easily do the things you think only that phone can do. You DO know that all the newest BB's run the Android OS right? Have for at least 2 years, if not 3. How long have you had that Bold? Dude...
BB somehow isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hell they just released a brand new phone.

There's no reason Verizon would stop supporting them. Do you have a link for that?

Old 07-27-2018, 01:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,210,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well first of all most phones can certainly easily do the things you think only that phone can do. You DO know that all the newest BB's run the Android OS right? Have for at least 2 years, if not 3. How long have you had that Bold? Dude...
BB somehow isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hell they just released a brand new phone.

There's no reason Verizon would stop supporting them. Do you have a link for that?
Verizon Wireless will move away from CDMA. This news is at https://www.pcmag.com/news/357370/ve...ma-free-future
Since Blackberry Bold runs on the CDMA network, it will be discontinued as a result.

I've had the Blackberry Bold for about 5 years. I tried to replace it with other Blackberry's, such as BB Passport, Classic, Z, and Q. However, none of these is as easy to use as Blackberry Bold.

What kind of phone is it in your photo? Does it have all the features I mentioned?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 AM

That is the newest BB , the Key2.
The BB you know and love is dead. They have moved on from the old BB Operating System (which is what you love about that phone) and they now run Android like a Samsung does.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:12 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
I spoke with a Verizon Rep a few days ago. All phones that are not 4G will no longer be activated this included basic phones. She said that if you have a device already activated that it will not stop working but you will not be able to activate another. I am not sure if this includes a blackberry because I wasn't asking about that. Is your Blackberry 3G?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Do your own research. It sounds like you have made the mistake of falling in love with the specific implementation of a few minor features and are unwilling to adapt. You can pout, shout, scream, and bang your head against the wall all you want but it isn't going to change two facts of modern technology.

1. Technology (both hardware and software) continuously changes.
2. Companies will not support out-dated technology forever.

On my iphone, I have one Mail icon but within that icon I have multiple accounts. I can view each account individually or see all inboxes together. On the Mail icon, there's a red bubble with a number in it to denote new messages and within the inbox there is a blue dot to denote which messages are new. Blue dot or red star, you can't get hung up on trivial details or you will always be exasperated. Get a new phone, get used to the new style, and be happy again.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 AM

All true but you can also create shortcuts in both Android and iOS if you really want separate icons for each. That's why I wasn't even going there Oceangaia. lol

Old 10-30-2018, 06:05 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,890 times
The device pictured above, as mentioned, is the Blackberry Key2. The OS is Android. The device runs on AT&T, T-Mobile, Consumer Cellular networks. It is sold unlocked by Amazon and Best Buy. So, you bring your own device to the respective carrier.

https://blackberrymobile.com/product/blackberry-key2/

I've been a BB loyalist for years. Currently using a BB Torch 9810 on AT&T. The OS is logical, comfortable. Too bad BB lost the market they invented. After all these years, though, my Torch is limping. (The trackpad has stopped working, the toolbelt has cracked.) I've considered getting another Torch (available on eBay), but there's quite a few apps I'd like to use, that are not available for the legacy BB OS. So, I'm getting ready to take the plunge to purchase the Key2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones