Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:49 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

Right now I have Verizon but I may be paying more for my monthly service than I should be paying. Which service is the best for those of you in the know?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Verizon. You get what you pay for. Att is fine also, but their coverage is lacking in some areas where I live. My phone works in places that other carriers don’t. When people visit my area, who have Sprint or T-Mobile their phones don’t work, but hey they’re spending $15 a month less than me!

And I understand why some go with secondary carriers $$$. but seeing the data caps, lower speeds and other limitations I’ll stick with Verizon. I’ve had good customer service with Verizon.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
T-Mobile since my first mobile phone mid 1990. Never disappointing. I travel a lot overseas and they have great plans and coverage.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:38 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
AT&T and tried T-Mobile twice until 3 years ago. Now T-Mobile across the board. No-nonsense pricing, international data, .20 international roaming and the highest data caps. I got their T-Mobile Plus for free which was a bonus, and also a Netflix subscription for free with it.

The only gotcha with T-Mobile is your service area. They don't have quite the same coverage as AT&T and Verizon.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have had several since the 1990s, and have stuck with Verizon after we switched to them. Yes, the cost is more but the service is the best. We liked T-Mobile but couldn't get any service in a couple of places including my parent's home and some other places we like to go that were "out of the way." Verizon service in those places is good. Also, I get a 15% discount through my employer!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:17 PM

550 posts, read 365,543 times
https://www.charitymobile.com/ uses the Verizon network, with their plans cheaper (I've seen, but not yet used), but allows you to port phones and numbers too in some cases (details at website). It is faith based, so guess it depends whether some you are into that. There are other carriers that resell Verizon service, depending on your needs. Jitterbug/Great Call https://www.greatcall.com/ uses Verizon, though it is targeted toward older people who want simple to use, easy to see phones, but they are somewhat more expensive. There are other resellers like above that resell the Verizon service, who give you the quality of the Verizon network, often at a cheaper price.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Cricket. very helpful and friendly, $30 a month unlimited talk and text, 2 GB data.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Right now I have Verizon but I may be paying more for my monthly service than I should be paying. Which service is the best for those of you in the know?
Verizon is the best hands down. I've never had a dropped call, and it's rare that I'm in an area that doesn't have service. Their prices have come down too ... I have two lines with unlimited everything except data (I never use my 2 GB allocation anyway) for $80/month, plus all those crazy fees, which total to about $92/month. Not too bad for reliable service. Used to, we had to pay for long distance if you'll recall, and it didn't take much to get to that total charge.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 AM

550 posts, read 365,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
https://www.charitymobile.com/ uses the Verizon network, with their plans cheaper (I've seen, but not yet used), but allows you to port phones and numbers too in some cases (details at website). It is faith based, so guess it depends whether some you are into that. There are other carriers that resell Verizon service, depending on your needs. Jitterbug/Great Call https://www.greatcall.com/ uses Verizon, though it is targeted toward older people who want simple to use, easy to see phones, but they are somewhat more expensive. There are other resellers like above that resell the Verizon service, who give you the quality of the Verizon network, often at a cheaper price.
One other thought on 3rd party resellers which personally have never used, but may be a good value for some. What happens if you have a technical support issue or need some customization? Want text messaging blocked on an older relative's line, which Verizon can do directly, but unsure other carriers or resellers? Anyone have a signal issue with GreatCall or Jitterbug which uses Verizon or Tracfone uses multiple carriers? Reasons resellers can sell their services cheaper is they buy their minutes and data in bulk from the major carrier, and they have a more limited tech staff at best if any at all. Be interested others to chime in if used a reseller and had a technical support issue that not resolved on website, Google, and must phone in?

Also if say paying $50-$100-$150 or more per month, also consider:
* The financial performance of the company you are buying into. Public companies have to post their quarterly income and other statements. Also consider Sprint and T-Mobile working through a merger. So what factors financially with these company will affect your experience, including the background of the support helping you when needed.
* Verizon better including their training, but not perfect. Boost Mobile not so good, even with a simple question recently, canned answer by rep that not answer my technical question (later found answer Googling). Also Verizon Wireless believe all US based customer and tech support (Verizon FIOS, particularly after and off hours can have some overseas support, such as the Philippines). AT&T Wireless uses a mix of both US and overseas, some in India. If you and the carrier you dealing or transacting with are in the USA, then your transactions and phone conversations with them are more secure vs. crossing international borders.
* And whatever your native language, if you have difficulty communicating in your native language whether English or something else with the carrier's customer service or technical support, its going to be harder and more time consuming to communicate to get your issue resolved. Many carriers have multiple language support including English, Spanish, common Asian languages, but not all languages.
* Also AT&T Wireless includes Mexico in many of their calling plans. This may very well serve the needs of some customers, but if you are not using it, you are still paying for it in your monthly bill.
* Also consider the values each of the major carriers support. Interesting faith based 3rd party resellers partner with Verizon or Sprint, but your own personal values may more align with AT&T or T-Mobile.

Of course, especially for customers in signally challenged locations, maybe only only carrier has at least a fair signal around your home, office, or areas you frequent, especially in some rural areas or zero bar dead zones in buildings where signal boosting will not help, and you have to throw out all the other considerations above out the window and go with the carrier that works better reliably for your needs.

Last edited by sprklcl; 03-09-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
One other thought on 3rd party resellers which personally have never used, but may be a good value for some. What happens if you have a technical support issue or need some customization? Want text messaging blocked on an older relative's line, which Verizon can do directly, but unsure other carriers or resellers? Anyone have a signal issue with GreatCall or Jitterbug which uses Verizon or Tracfone uses multiple carriers? Reasons resellers can sell their services cheaper is they buy their minutes and data in bulk from the major carrier, and they have a more limited tech staff at best if any at all. Be interested others to chime in if used a reseller and had a technical support issue that not resolved on website, Google, and must phone in?

Also if say paying $50-$100-$150 or more per month, also consider:
* The financial performance of the company you are buying into. Public companies have to post their quarterly income and other statements. Also consider Sprint and T-Mobile working through a merger. So what factors financially with these company will affect your experience, including the background of the support helping you when needed.
* Verizon better including their training, but not perfect. Boost Mobile not so good, even with a simple question recently, canned answer by rep that not answer my technical question (later found answer Googling). Also Verizon Wireless believe all US based customer and tech support (Verizon FIOS, particularly after and off hours can have some overseas support, such as the Philippines). AT&T Wireless uses a mix of both US and overseas, some in India. If you and the carrier you dealing or transacting with are in the USA, then your transactions and phone conversations with them are more secure vs. crossing international borders.
* And whatever your native language, if you have difficulty communicating in your native language whether English or something else with the carrier's customer service or technical support, its going to be harder and more time consuming to communicate to get your issue resolved. Many carriers have multiple language support including English, Spanish, common Asian languages, but not all languages.
* Also AT&T Wireless includes Mexico in many of their calling plans. This may very well serve the needs of some customers, but if you are not using it, you are still paying for it in your monthly bill.
* Also consider the values each of the major carriers support. Interesting faith based 3rd party resellers partner with Verizon or Sprint, but your own personal values may more align with AT&T or T-Mobile.

Of course, especially for customers in signally challenged locations, maybe only only carrier has at least a fair signal around your home, office, or areas you frequent, especially in some rural areas or zero bar dead zones in buildings where signal boosting will not help, and you have to throw out all the other considerations above out the window and go with the carrier that works better reliably for your needs.
I dont like typing long posts, but you said it all why I prefer to not use resellers along with limited data speeds. But for some saving $10 or $15 a month is worth the tradeoff. Not for me. I want all that a primary carrier offers like the local Verizon tower that delivers 50 megs of speed and I’m not limited to 5megs by my plan.

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-09-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.