Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:11 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am laughing, as I JUST upgraded from an iPhone 6 (bought 3-4 years ago) to an iPhone XR ... yes, it's now 3 models behind! Oh my gosh, whatever shall I do, LOL!
Ok KAREN.
Quote:
Seriously, I just cannot imagine paying a thousand bucks (or more! ) for a newly-released phone!
I can't imagine paying $200 for a 4 year old phone. OMG! I'm just laughing at people so poor that can't afford a real phone!!
/Sarcasm...

One of my pet peeves are people saying things like "OMG WHY DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MUCH ON A PHONE". And it's not because I am one of those people. I will not ever spend $1,000 on a phone. But I WILL spend $60,000 on a car. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT, KAREN??
Some people spend even WAY more. And that's cool. I don't care and would never say that outside of a thread like this.

Quote:
Note, I CAN understand why SOME people would want the latest and greatest (I imagine they ARE good for some things -- they're mini-computers, after all),
At least you followed up with that. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd just wait and hope that 5G trickles down to the "budget" phones in a year or two as $800 is an outrageous amount of money.
It's an outrageous amount to someone making $35,000 a year. It's not to someone making $200K a year.

/Off soap box/

Having said all that, I think the iPhone has peaked. What's so great about the 13? It's ##% better at this, it's %% better at that, it has ##% battery life! Uh... just like every phone before it...
ALSO HAS RACK ZOOM FEATURE FOR VIDEO NOW... which I admit is hella cool... but only 10% of anyone is actually using that feature. And this is why they sell an expensive flagship for the 10% of people that want that. and that's why they still have a 13... for $699. For the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter
I find it comical how Apple used to do all they could to shave off millimeters from their iPhones to make them slimmer, & used this as a big boasting & selling point. Now the last 2 iPhones have each gotten thicker (but have better battery) & nobody seems to notice, or care.
Here's the thing: you ever hear anyone ever complain about any iPhone ever being TOO THICK? Consumers never demanded thinner iPhones. or Android phones. The industry did that on their own. No one ever DIDN'T buy a phone because it was too thick. The cell phone companies all of them... decided thinner felt more luxurious. "How thin can we get them?!?" And then they start removing features. Now they are getting a little thicker, will Apple finally add USB-C? They are all concerned about eWaste yet continue to push a proprietary connector? Except on... the iPads which HAVE all switched to USB-C...
Apple frustrates me...

Last edited by Peregrine; 09-15-2021 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 08:18 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
I still have the iPhone 11 Pro (and a Pixel 5). This is the first time I've gone so long with a phone since college. I'm no really compelled to get the 13 Pro at the moment (although I might change my mind later once the reviews come out).

Old 09-15-2021, 09:25 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I still have the iPhone 11 Pro (and a Pixel 5). This is the first time I've gone so long with a phone since college. I'm no really compelled to get the 13 Pro at the moment (although I might change my mind later once the reviews come out).
I bought an 11 in March for $600. My wife has a 12. Truth be told, except for the 5g capability, the 12 is not noticeably faster or more capable than my 11. And since 5g is not a reality in my area, both phones have the same data speed. As for the displays, when I watch a video all I notice is both phones look sharp and clear.

The 13 is incrementally better than the 12. So I feel no need to upgrade. But by the time the 14 rolls out, 5g will be a reality in my area and then I’ll have a reason to upgrade.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
5g will be a reality in my area and then I’ll have a reason to upgrade.
5G isn't really all that great of a reason to upgrade either.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:50 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Having said all that, I think the iPhone has peaked.
Based upon your forecasting wisdom, I will shorting AAPL this afternoon.
Thanks for helping me make a lot of money.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I went from an iPhone 8 to iPhone 12 Pro. I am not sure if it would be worth it to upgrade to a 13 I am digging the iPad mini or an upgraded iPad.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:18 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am laughing, as I JUST upgraded from an iPhone 6 (bought 3-4 years ago) to an iPhone XR ... yes, it's now 3 models behind! Oh my gosh, whatever shall I do, LOL!

Seriously, I just cannot imagine paying a thousand bucks (or more! ) for a newly-released phone! Note, I CAN understand why SOME people would want the latest and greatest (I imagine they ARE good for some things -- they're mini-computers, after all), but for what I do with my phone, well, I'll take my $199 iPhone XR just bought new.
Since iOS 13 came out, the ability has been there to bring iPhones and iPads reasonably close to that.
It is amazing what can be connected to an iPhone or iPad with the Apple lightning to USB3 camera adapter...

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...62db4a947504d2.....

and a powered (by various means, including plugging into a wall) USB hub.

Here are a few videos that illustrate some of the possibilities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbJGEvE3j-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xwzc-UdG5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XHAYDvHps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9-HmhtyTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESmnF7jv92A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-yOzVQXrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az6yuV_vYiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avDMsyhyd6k

It' s the lightning port and iOS 13 or later that make the connections described in these videos possible on an iPhone.

It is likely that the 13 series of the iPhone will be the last with a port.

Without the lightning port/any physical port (in the iPad it's lightning or USB-C), connections described in the videos are no longer possible.

The iPhone 13 Pro series is now the first iPhone with 1TB of storage, which means you can create an Apple Music library up to the 100,000 song limit and download the entire library to your phone to play on your phone without an internet connection.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
My wife will be ordering a new iPhone 13 Pro Max at 0500 on Friday.
My wife will be ordering a new Watch 7 as soon as they open the process.
I'm going to get one too, but I'm going to wait until near the end of the product cycle....10 to 11 months from now, and I'm going to order the 1TB version. With it likely being the last iPhone that has a port, I want it to last as long as possible (and I want to get more primary use out of my 2020 iPhone SE).

Old 09-15-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Looks like the iPhone 13 will be kind of like an S series. Slightly better camera, speed, & a little more screen. Pro motion display for better refresh rate. Nothing for most people to get too excited about. The iPhones probably at a point where we'll only see incremental upgrades. If I needed a new phone, I'd probably buy a standard (non-pro) used iPhone 12.

I find it comical how Apple used to do all they could to shave off millimeters from their iPhones to make them slimmer, & used this as a big boasting & selling point. Now the last 2 iPhones have each gotten thicker (but have better battery) & nobody seems to notice, or care.

iOS 15 will be released on the 20th.
IMO, when/if the port disappears, that will be a downgrade.

Old 09-15-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ok KAREN.

I can't imagine paying $200 for a 4 year old phone. OMG! I'm just laughing at people so poor that can't afford a real phone!!
/Sarcasm...

One of my pet peeves are people saying things like "OMG WHY DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MUCH ON A PHONE". And it's not because I am one of those people. I will not ever spend $1,000 on a phone. But I WILL spend $60,000 on a car. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT, KAREN??
Some people spend even WAY more. And that's cool. I don't care and would never say that outside of a thread like this.

At least you followed up with that. I appreciate that.

It's an outrageous amount to someone making $35,000 a year. It's not to someone making $200K a year.

/Off soap box/

Having said all that, I think the iPhone has peaked. What's so great about the 13? It's ##% better at this, it's %% better at that, it has ##% battery life! Uh... just like every phone before it...
ALSO HAS RACK ZOOM FEATURE FOR VIDEO NOW... which I admit is hella cool... but only 10% of anyone is actually using that feature. And this is why they sell an expensive flagship for the 10% of people that want that. and that's why they still have a 13... for $699. For the rest of us.

Here's the thing: you ever hear anyone ever complain about any iPhone ever being TOO THICK? Consumers never demanded thinner iPhones. or Android phones. The industry did that on their own. No one ever DIDN'T buy a phone because it was too thick. The cell phone companies all of them... decided thinner felt more luxurious. "How thin can we get them?!?" And then they start removing features. Now they are getting a little thicker, will Apple finally add USB-C? They are all concerned about eWaste yet continue to push a proprietary connector? Except on... the iPads which HAVE all switched to USB-C...
Apple frustrates me...
Yep.

Some might consider it an unnecessary obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones