Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 08:59 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I bought an 11 in March for $600. My wife has a 12. Truth be told, except for the 5g capability, the 12 is not noticeably faster or more capable than my 11. And since 5g is not a reality in my area, both phones have the same data speed. As for the displays, when I watch a video all I notice is both phones look sharp and clear.

The 13 is incrementally better than the 12. So I feel no need to upgrade. But by the time the 14 rolls out, 5g will be a reality in my area and then I’ll have a reason to upgrade.
Over the weekend, I was watching some 'leak' videos on YouTube re Tuesday's Apple Event, and a number of the videos mentioned that the iPhone 13 mini will likely be the last iPhone mini.

My first thought when I heard that was what I'll call 'Peregrine's maxim' re a tendency to buy bigger phones, get used to them, and then, IIRC, more or less dismiss their own thinking the increase in size = a big deal.

(yeah, Iknow, you don't want one that is above a size you've decided on because bigger = wouldn't fit into a particular pocket location that you prefer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We got the SE phones last summer. We replaced the 6. I have to say it is like having the same exact phone, except way faster. If I want a larger screen I bring a tablet and use the hotspot.

The new pro versions look awesome, the SE on steroids.
I’m still rocking the 6. I like the size of it. My wife has the 12 Pro and it’s bigger than I’d want a “phone” to be. I have an iPad and a laptop for my internet needs, so 90% of what I do on my phone is text. Occasionally, I’ll look at product information if I’m out shopping. If I need to upgrade the 6, I’m pretty sure I’ll go with the SE as well.

My wife does almost all of her internet activity on her phone, so the 12 Pro is good for her. When you get to Pro Max sizes you might as well just carry around an iPad.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:36 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,809,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I bought an 11 in March for $600. My wife has a 12. Truth be told, except for the 5g capability, the 12 is not noticeably faster or more capable than my 11. And since 5g is not a reality in my area, both phones have the same data speed. As for the displays, when I watch a video all I notice is both phones look sharp and clear.

The 13 is incrementally better than the 12. So I feel no need to upgrade. But by the time the 14 rolls out, 5g will be a reality in my area and then I’ll have a reason to upgrade.
I'm okay with my iPhone 11 Pro because I also have the Pixel 5. 4g and 5g are night and day in most areas I spend time. We're talking about 100mbps and low latency (4g) vs 600 mbps and reasonable latency (5g).

I hope the iPhone 14 is a big upgrade... especially in terms of the camera.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:20 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Based upon your forecasting wisdom, I will shorting AAPL this afternoon.
Thanks for helping me make a lot of money.
Don't be a moron, Dave. I didn't say APPLE peaked. And I certainly didn't say they won't sell any 13's. They will always sell a butt ton of new iPhones even if the only new thing is "30% MOAR BATTERY!"

Buy the dip, Dave... my advice. Buy the dip.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:55 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't be a moron, Dave. I didn't say APPLE peaked. And I certainly didn't say they won't sell any 13's. They will always sell a butt ton of new iPhones even if the only new thing is "30% MOAR BATTERY!"

Buy the dip, Dave... my advice. Buy the dip.
Well, they've sold at least six so far, because that's how many I've ordered for work this morning haha. One of which is mine, I might add.

We'll see just how good that "more battery life" really is. So far, my 11 Pro takes the cake on that one. My 12 Pro didn't last quite as long, plus the battery health dropped 11% after the 1st year, compared to 0% on my 11. The only other thing I care about is the screen, I'm a fan of the 120hz screens on the iPad. The cameras...we'll see how that goes too.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
My first thought when I heard that was what I'll call 'Peregrine's maxim' re a tendency to buy bigger phones, get used to them, and then, IIRC, more or less dismiss their own thinking the increase in size = a big deal.
I missed this before. And I'm flattered that I have a Maxim. We should also maybe mention something about age. I've also gotten older and might prefer a bigger screen cuz the eyes ain't quite what they used to be either.

@Reblteen: I have the One Plus 8 w/90HZ and I love it. I thought the hertz game might be a gimmick, but no... it is nice. Are they shipping normally? Friend works for ATT and told me the 12's were getting hard to find now, I wonder if its because they put everything into the 13 right now with the chip shortage issues.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
OK PEREGRINE (I assume you were making fun of my name by capitalizing it, oh well ... ).

I wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am laughing, as I JUST upgraded from an iPhone 6 (bought 3-4 years ago) to an iPhone XR ... yes, it's now 3 models behind! Oh my gosh, whatever shall I do, LOL!

Seriously, I just cannot imagine paying a thousand bucks (or more! ) for a newly-released phone! Note, I CAN understand why SOME people would want the latest and greatest (I imagine they ARE good for some things -- they're mini-computers, after all), but for what I do with my phone, well, I'll take my $199 iPhone XR just bought new.
I said ***I*** cannot imagine paying a thousand bucks for a newly-released phone because for what ***I*** do with my phone, that would make no sense -- and I wrote that right after I laughed at myself because my brand new phone phone is several generations old. You even QUOTED me as saying ***I*** cannot imagine that ... but somehow you took that as a dig at other people who want the phone for how THEY use THEIR phone?

Quote:
Ok KAREN.

I can't imagine paying $200 for a 4 year old phone. OMG! I'm just laughing at people so poor that can't afford a real phone!!
/Sarcasm...

One of my pet peeves are people saying things like "OMG WHY DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MUCH ON A PHONE". And it's not because I am one of those people. I will not ever spend $1,000 on a phone. But I WILL spend $60,000 on a car. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT, KAREN??
Some people spend even WAY more. And that's cool. I don't care and would never say that outside of a thread like this.
Um, I didn't SAY that. Again, YOU QUOTED ME as saying ***I*** wouldn't do it, even saying WHY I wouldn't. I didn't say "OMG WHY DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MUCH ON A PHONE" -- because I know for some people, it IS worth it (like Debsi, who has an adorable young daughter and who posted right after me about wanting the phone for high-quality pictures and videos).

Holy crap, I was LAUGHING as I wrote my first post because I am always several generations behind on a phone (my students sometimes make fun of me for that, and I laugh along with them).

(Of course, you also called another poster a "moron." So maybe you are just generally rude to other posters?)

Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
(Of course, you also called another poster a "moron." So maybe you are just generally rude to other posters?)
He was not being rude.
He was mocking my original sarcastic comment.
AAPL is down today by 1.33%.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
He was not being rude.
He was mocking my original sarcastic comment.
AAPL is down today by 1.33%.
Yea, MORON is a term of endearment for me and my family, actually, since the Goldbergs premiered on television a few years ago.

Yea, I was TEASING you about your name because... well KAREN.... amirite?!? And I was giving you credit because of your comment that you DO understand why some do....

I tend to get a little wordy sometimes. Apologies if you took it as an attack.
Generally if I am trying to be rude to someone I don't do this:

Old 09-17-2021, 12:33 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
I missed this before. And I'm flattered that I have a Maxim. We should also maybe mention something about age. I've also gotten older and might prefer a bigger screen cuz the eyes ain't quite what they used to be either.

@Reblteen: I have the One Plus 8 w/90HZ and I love it. I thought the hertz game might be a gimmick, but no... it is nice. Are they shipping normally? Friend works for ATT and told me the 12's were getting hard to find now, I wonder if its because they put everything into the 13 right now with the chip shortage issues.
All of mine are slated to arrive on the 24th, we'll see if that's when I actually get them. I have one spare 12 Pro on hand that I bought for an exec that I really need to return, since he decided to use one of my spare 11's and wait out the 13. AT&T Premier was a hot mess this morning, so I just ordered them direct through Apple.

Chip shortages are killing us everywhere, along with demand. I've been putting in laptop orders before my previous orders have even arrived to try and keep ahead of the demand. I don't have the space to store a hundred laptops, so I order them in small batches. I ordered a laptop for the Big Boss that won't show up 'till December. I'm hoping that one shows up early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones