Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 03:58 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times

Advertisements

I’m Locked out of my iPhone forever apparently. I cannot afford to lose the data. I am an It professional so don’t go on about the importance of backing up. I have three backups of all my data from computer devices.

I sent my iPhone out for screen replacement. I gave the technician two possible pass codes it could be. I got it back today and it was disabled. I had to wait. I tried the two codes but neither worked. I must have just changed it right before I sent it out. Anyway. Tow more times and I am locked out for good. I guess the repairman tried about five times. I do not use iTunes and never did. I’m not an Apple guy. I just wanted the phone. Did I really just lose everything because of this? This security model is ridiculous. I don’t even have the option to show Apple geniuses proof that the phone is mine so they can unlock it. No iPhones ever again for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 04:09 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
I locked myself out of my iPad and wound up having to do the recover procedure, but lost everthing that wasn't backed up. I made sure I have a pass code I can't forget and also wrote it down. I find Apple products to be superior. I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face to by a Microsoft Edge or other tablet, just because I had one bad experience. The trauma was sufficient to insure I never relive the experience, hence the new pass code I will never forget.

On the flip side, I learned that there is no way anybody is ever getting into my iPad or iPhone if I happen to lose it somewhere.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’m Locked out of my iPhone forever apparently. I cannot afford to lose the data. I am an It professional so don’t go on about the importance of backing up. I have three backups of all my data from computer devices.

I sent my iPhone out for screen replacement. I gave the technician two possible pass codes it could be. I got it back today and it was disabled. I had to wait. I tried the two codes but neither worked. I must have just changed it right before I sent it out. Anyway. Tow more times and I am locked out for good. I guess the repairman tried about five times. I do not use iTunes and never did. I’m not an Apple guy. I just wanted the phone. Did I really just lose everything because of this? This security model is ridiculous. I don’t even have the option to show Apple geniuses proof that the phone is mine so they can unlock it. No iPhones ever again for me.
It is not apple’s fault. In all honesty the only two parties at fault are the Tech or you. If I needed to have my screen replaced, I would either take it to a local guy with an excellent record- used him more than once. Appointment and wait in shop. Or drive to the local Apple store. I would never send my iPhone out for repair. That is an unneeded risk. My iPhone is too important.

Choosing to not use iTunes is a choice you made. Had you decided otherwise all you would need to do would buy some used iPhone, access your acct and everything would appear on the new to you iPhone.

10 years of iPhones for me and same for my wife. No issues.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:15 PM

I say the same as you do when other people lose their data. But this is ridiculous. Giving me 10 shots to figure it out and then locking me out forever? No one else would do that? It’s almost spiteful. I never forget a passcode but I may have changed it recently and don’t remember. I have used the online service many times and it’s great. $29 total, screen replaced and it’s back within a week of when I send it. I’m not spending $100 or higher for some schmoe to replace a $3 glass. I don’t live on my phone. There are probably only a few texts I would want from the phone. Pictures were backed up very recently. Again, to lock someone out forever because they can’t remember their code is obnoxius.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:13 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Thanks for giving me another reason not to buy an i-Phone. I have never purchased an Apple product. But, in 2019 I was seriously considering buying an i-Phone or an i-Pad. I just could not do it. I had to have 3 computer repairs since Covid started and the IBM service technician comes right to my house (garage) and does the repair onsite.

I did lose some texts I regretted on my Android when my Motorola was floating in my trunk bed liner in a sea of dawn liquid detergent (from a Costco visit that I never unloaded)... But, I ended up living without them.

I don't like the idea of "the cloud" either. I don't mind it on my Android since I don't care if people know who I talk to; but, on my personal records and email I'd prefer to just store that on my own storage device.

i am sorry for you loss. I think Apple thinks they have you hooked and you'll just buy a new one. I have yet to succumb (but, I still entertain the idea now and again).

Old 10-16-2021, 02:07 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
I say the same as you do when other people lose their data. But this is ridiculous. Giving me 10 shots to figure it out and then locking me out forever? No one else would do that? It’s almost spiteful. I never forget a passcode but I may have changed it recently and don’t remember. I have used the online service many times and it’s great. $29 total, screen replaced and it’s back within a week of when I send it. I’m not spending $100 or higher for some schmoe to replace a $3 glass. I don’t live on my phone. There are probably only a few texts I would want from the phone. Pictures were backed up very recently. Again, to lock someone out forever because they can’t remember their code is obnoxius.
You're not locked out forever. You can reset the phone. The only thing you lose is your data because, like you said, "is ridiculous" that you didn't back up.

Also, you say you never forget your passcode.... but it appears in this case you did.

This might be obnoxious in the case of user error, but it's secure compared to the alternative.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:52 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Why is it Apple’s fault that you failed to do two things? 1. You failed to remember your passcode. 2. You could have turned off the erase after 10 tries. It’s there in the settings.

Another thing: if your phone gets erased, reset it and restore from your iCloud backups.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:58 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why is it Apple’s fault that you failed to do two things? 1. You failed to remember your passcode. 2. You could have turned off the erase after 10 tries. It’s there in the settings.

Another thing: if your phone gets erased, reset it and restore from your iCloud backups.
Also use the backups. Apple provides that because they know people are often stupid, such as the case here, and lock themselves out of their phones.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:58 PM

I’m not stupid. I use the phone mostly as a phone. I don’t spend my life on it like most people. I don’t need constant contact with people all day andthinks it’s as ridiculous that feel the need to post pictures of their lunch on Facebook.

I don’t keep anything that important on my iPhone. As I said, I back up the pics. I am unaware of any way to backup texts and voice notes. So, I really lost nothing, so I am not stupid by any stretch. I was prompted to change my pass code recently and since they don’t let you use any previous one, I had to come up with a new one on the spot to use it. This is the first time in my life I forgot a passcode.

That said, Apple is ridiculous. I will be punished permanently. I cannot reset it. My phone says that it is disabled and to connect to iTunes. There is no other choice. So, reluctantly, I installed iTunes on my laptop, even though there is absolutely nothing in it. No music. No pictures. Nothing for my phone to sync to please explain what the point is. Oh and here is the best part…..I connected the iPhone to iTunes and it sees no device. How is this normal. What if I wrote the passcode down and just remembered where it was? I’m out of luck because I didn’t remember in time for the “10 shot and I’m out” policy. My iPhone is completely useless because it cannot be reset and iTunes cannot detect it. Great product. I have reset lost and forgotten passwords for people for the past 25 years. It happens. At least Windows doesn’t lock you out for life without accessing any of your stuff.

Apple fanboys are blind to this.

Last edited by trusso11783; 10-16-2021 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 03:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
I’m not stupid. I use the phone mostly as a phone. I don’t spend my life on it like most people. I don’t need constant contact with people all day andthinks it’s as ridiculous that feel the need to post pictures of their lunch on Facebook.

I don’t keep anything that important on my iPhone. As I said, I back up the pics. I am unaware of any way to backup texts and voice notes. So, I really lost nothing, so I am not stupid by any stretch. I was prompted to change my pass code recently and since they don’t let you use any previous one, I had to come up with a new one on the spot to use it. This is the first time in my life I forgot a passcode.

That said, Apple is ridiculous. I will be punished permanently. I cannot reset it. My phone says that it is disabled and to connect to iTunes. There is no other choice. So, reluctantly, I installed iTunes on my laptop, even though there is absolutely nothing in it. No music. No pictures. Nothing for my phone to sync to please explain what the point is. Oh and here is the best part…..I connected the iPhone to iTunes and it sees no device. How is this normal. What if I wrote the passcode down and just remembered where it was? I’m out of luck because I didn’t remember in time for the “10 shot and I’m out” policy. My iPhone is completely useless because it cannot be reset and iTunes cannot detect it. Great product. I have reset lost and forgotten passwords for people for the past 25 years. It happens. At least Windows doesn’t lock you out for life without accessing any of your stuff.

Apple fanboys are blind to this.
If you follow the way it is supposed be, you would have set up iTunes and iCloud before you need those recovery tools. Not after. Otherwise, you get the result you experienced.

For future reference, if forced to change my passcode, I write it down as soon as I come up with one. That way there is no chance of forgetting it.

Once again, Apple is not to blame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones