Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 09:48 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times

Advertisements

When I am in my house (I have Cox internet, wifi, and cable) does my smart phone (Verizon) connect directly with Verizon or go through my wifi and to Verizon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 09:56 AM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
No, your COX internet has no connection to your cellular service with Verizon and vice versa.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:03 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Not sure how you can say that DAW without asking.... Have you connected your phone to your wifi? If so, data will go through Cox AND you can enable Wifi calling on most phones today. So without more details this question isn't possible to answer.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:07 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Let me clarify my prior statement. If someone connects to a WiFi connection, it is not related to the cellular connection to Verizon and vice-versa.

When I am connected with my cell phone to either WiFi or cellular, I have to re-establish a new connection if I want to change from one network to another. My phone doesn't automatically switch from one to the other on its own. It's one or the other and not both at the same time.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:31 PM

1,097 posts, read 644,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
When I am in my house (I have Cox internet, wifi, and cable) does my smart phone (Verizon) connect directly with Verizon or go through my wifi and to Verizon?
If you are talking about everything except calls and texting, then you can use wifi when available. Furthermore you have the option of automatically connecting next time it is in range of the wifi. Whenever you connect with wifi, Verizon is not involved at all.

If you are talking about making calls and texting, then your phone is typically not using wifi even when available. But as Peregrine alluded to, it is possible nowadays to make calls via wifi.

You have control over what your phone connects to.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:11 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Let me clarify my prior statement. If someone connects to a WiFi connection, it is not related to the cellular connection to Verizon and vice-versa.

When I am connected with my cell phone to either WiFi or cellular, I have to re-establish a new connection if I want to change from one network to another. My phone doesn't automatically switch from one to the other on its own. It's one or the other and not both at the same time.
If you provide the phone model (or more specifically, the version of the iOS/Android) someone may have some knowledge. I've never had a phone that won't switch between the two automatically. There may be applications that can be set to limited cellular data usage. And most phones may 'prioritize' wifi over cellular (this can sometimes become an issue if the wifi signal is strong, but its internet access is slow/problematic).

With the bolded, it MAY be indicative of an issue or a setting not configured correctly.

Overall - both SMS and Calls can go over wifi these days by enabling wifi calling. But it may different between the OS's on how this is configured/handled. Typically, enabling wifi calling also enables wifi sms.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:30 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
The problem I was having (I was the OP) completely stopped. But now two of my neighbors (also Verizon and Cox) are having quite a few dropped calls. One spent extensive time talking to Verizon and was told that the reason is that towers are being switched to 5G capable equipment in the area and during the transition this happens.

Of course, my experience is that you talk to someone on the help line and you have no way of knowing if what they say is accurate or they are just guessing.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:33 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
We have ATT service on our cell phone, our internet/wifi are Frontier. Our phones are set up to connect automatically to our wifi when in range (also automatically connect to my sister's wifi when we visit).

ATT has gone out for days in our area, so we switch our phones to wifi calling so we can make calls when ATT is out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-09-2022, 04:28 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Since you have Frontier get the fiber optic if it's available in your area for internet wifi, best thing I have ever done.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:57 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Ever?!? Come on man EVER?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones