Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,581 times

Advertisements

Has something like this happened to you? This is very strange and I can't make any sense of it.

I have two cell phones. One regular one (phone1) and the other is a company issued blackberry phone (phone2).

Phone1's ringer has been giving me problems lately where it sometimes doesn't ring when there's a call coming in. Yesterday, I was expecting a call from someone, but the ringer wasn't going off. So to test if my ringer wasn't acting up again, I used phone2 to dial phone1. Phone1 didnt ring, but someone picked up and I hung up right away thinking that I must have mis-dialed. I checked, but I did dial the number to phone1. There happened to be someone else with his phone there at the time so I asked him to dial the number to phone1 and this time my phone did ring.

So, I just scratched my head and shrugged my shoulders and was content that the ringer on phone1 is working. But still wasn't sure why the first call made from phone2 to phone1 went somewhere else.

Today, I get several calls on phone2 from someone insisting that I called her from phone2. Now, other than the test call I made yesterday, I don't use phone2 so my immediate reply to her was, "no I didnt call you from this phone. I don't even use this phone." But she kept calling back insisting that I did, and that's when it occurred to me that I did used phone2 yesterday to test phone1 and eventhough I had checked that I did dial the right number, the call had gone to someone else...

So, at this point, I'm thinking, "oh, this must be the person I hung up on yesterday". I didn't tell her all this and simply ended the call. After that last conversation with her, I looked in phone2's call recieved history. And there were the several calls I had just recieved from her.

But get this... THE LAST CALL FROM HER CAME FROM THE NUMBER THAT IS THE SAME AS PHONE1 !?!?!?!? But phone1 was on my other pocket when I was on that last phone call with her.

Assuming you were able to follow the sequence of events, can someone make any sense of what just happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
I've had something similar happen. I've tried to call friends and my call ends up going somewhere a thousand miles away.

There could be a transmit problem at the ground station. Call your cell provider and briefly explain what happened; they should create a trouble ticket for you and have someone in the engineering dept call you back.

Do you know if your call went to another cell or to a landline? I've happened to find certain areas within towns that have transmit problems between my cell carrier, by pure chance, and after talking to the telco, I was able to get it resolved.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
I agree with southgeorgia on this. There's a transmit or routing problem to where calls going to your phone are sometimes being routed to another phone somewhere out there. I would get ahold of the company who is providing the phone that is not working correctly - let them know of the issue.

Second solutio is that you might have mistyped the number. Use Phone1 to dial Phone2. SAVE the number as a contact (you stated that you dialed the number) and then use the saved contact to dial phone1.

When thinking about the part where you said that the woman caller had the exact same number, I though of another solution: area codes. Do all of the phones have the same area code AND are in the same area code as to where you are located? If I was standing in area code 804 and were to dial without the area code, my cellphone would actually add the 804. The person could very well have the exact same number as your phone - with the exception of area codes.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,107 times
Last night, at 12:33 AM, everyone asleep, the house phone (landline) rings. I go into my den to answer it, wondering who would be calling that late. I look at the caller ID, and being not fully awake, the number looks familiar to me, so I answer it. There is noone on the other end speaking, and as I am walking through the den saying repeatedly "Hello...hello?"...I see my cell phone, plugged into the charger, has called my house phone. The phone can not be dialed without opening it, so that eliminates one of the two cats randomly hitting something. My family, wife, son, daughter, all see the record of the call on the house and cell phone, and my wife and son were actually awakened by the call. It was puzzling to us all day, and this evening, I even showed my daughter on my cell phone the listing of the call at 12:33. Several hours later. me and my wife were discussing it, still trying to figure it out, and when she went to the house phone and brought up recieved calls, it was no longer there, on any of the 3 phones. She told me, to which I said, "Well, we know its on my call listing on the cellular" We looked, and sure enough, it was no longer there either. She brought up Verizons website, checked our account on there, and the only phone call listed on my cell phone for Jan 5th was one at 12:33, to our home phone number. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? My house phone number isnt even in my cellular phone as a listed contact

Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Ghost Whisperer... sorry, I couldn't resist

Had a paging system on the blink once... found out it had been dropped and the circuit board turned out to have a hairline crack.. the best that we could figure out was temperature changes caused the board to expand and contract that made the pager show the last number received as a new call...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones