Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cell Service Is The Best Value?
ATT 13 22.41%
Tmobile 12 20.69%
Verizon 20 34.48%
Metro PCS 0 0%
Cricket 1 1.72%
Sprint 9 15.52%
Nextel 0 0%
US Cellular 0 0%
Virgin Mobile 0 0%
Other 3 5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:03 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with the people who have said that it depends on where you live and how and where you plan to use your phone. I like Infamous92's idea: It would be cool if they could level the playing field and let all popular phones (iPhone, Droid, etc.) be available on all carriers and let them compete on pricing.

Oh, I forgot to add that the most recent Consumer Reports on cell phones service coverage surprised me that the gradings weren't as high as I thought they were going to be.

Last edited by cat1116; 12-03-2009 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: add-on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it depends on what area you are in.

First off, all of them basically have the same major plans.
39.99 for 450 minutes
59.99 for 900 minutes
79.99 for 1200 minutes
and so on and so on. Give a take a few dollars.

IN the DC area, Verizon is without a doubt the best service with T-Mobile probably being the worse. Sprint has the worse customer service out of the four major cell phone companies no matter what part of Earth you are on. Verizon has the best range and it isn't close. AT&T is the best dropped call phone service in the world. But again, this is DC.

I will say Verizon offers the best value for your money. Hopefully the Iphone heads to Verizon.
T-mobile just did a MAJOR expansion of service in the DC metro area. We had literally 5 sites to cover it before. Now we have over 60. This was very recent, like a month or two ago. Might want to give us a second look.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:17 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
For me it's been At&T for years
Never a problem within the US and outside of the US

Old 12-08-2009, 12:07 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,421,755 times
Verizon has the best network, hands down. But, I'm partial to Sprint. I have gotten a 25% discount on my plans for the last 6 years I was an employee for a short period of time, and the discount has stuck with me despite several plan, phone, and location changes. I always ask them if I can keep it and they let me every time.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan View Post
Verizon has a great network with excellent coverage, but their plans are expensive and they tend to disable the features on their phones so that they can charge you an additional monthly fee to take advantage of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Disable features? No they don't. Please elaborate.
For as long as I can remember, Verizon has disabled Bluetooth OBEX file transfer on their phones, forcing you to send media (pictures, ringtones, music) over their network rather than directly to/from a Bluetooth enabled computer.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
I'd agree with M3 Mitch and others, It certainly depends on where you are and how you use the phone, and if you want/need a "family plan" or not.

I used Sprint for several years, never a problem in Dallas, NYC, LA, DC. Always heard criticism of their billing department but never noticed until I canceled the service. At that time, I took up VirginMobile service. Just didn't use the phone that much and just wanted some basics. Turns out, VMobl rides on the Sprint network. Only drawback is not a big phone selection and that their website absolutely sucks raw sewage.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:51 AM

302 posts, read 885,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it depends on what area you are in.

First off, all of them basically have the same major plans.
39.99 for 450 minutes
59.99 for 900 minutes
79.99 for 1200 minutes
and so on and so on. Give a take a few dollars.

IN the DC area, Verizon is without a doubt the best service with T-Mobile probably being the worse. Sprint has the worse customer service out of the four major cell phone companies no matter what part of Earth you are on. Verizon has the best range and it isn't close. AT&T is the best dropped call phone service in the world. But again, this is DC.

I will say Verizon offers the best value for your money. Hopefully the Iphone heads to Verizon.
For us, Spring has had amazing customer service Every time something weird comes up on our bill, they take it off no question. Other companies have made me fight tooth and nail to get a $5 charge taken off. When it was still Cingular, I had to make numerous phone calls over months to get a $10 credit back to my account for their billing mistakes.

We might be switching to AT&T soon, but that is just because we want iphones. I kind of don't want to leave Sprint....but we'll see.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
For us, Spring has had amazing customer service Every time something weird comes up on our bill, they take it off no question. Other companies have made me fight tooth and nail to get a $5 charge taken off. When it was still Cingular, I had to make numerous phone calls over months to get a $10 credit back to my account for their billing mistakes.

We might be switching to AT&T soon, but that is just because we want iphones. I kind of don't want to leave Sprint....but we'll see.
Suggestion! Wait till about January or February. The iphone might be on other networks by then.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,034 times
We recently switched from Verizon over to AT&T. We both had smartphones and switched over to the iPhone. The only regret I have is not making the switch long ago!!!

We have had no problems with dropped calls, accessing the internet etc. In fact, accessing the internet on AT&T is much faster than what we experienced with Verizon. We also love the fact that our unused minutes roll over AND that we are able to have 10 numbers that do not require the use of our minutes to call.

I have tried many different phones (including several smartphones) over the years, and the iPhone beats all of them, hands down.

No complaints about Verizon's service, but they don;t offer the iPhone or rollover minutes, which we wanted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones