Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKD View Post
I am a loyal Verizon customer. Due to our family all having Verizon I will not be switching. My current phone is dying. Battery life is getting shorter and shorter, end button doesn't always work etc. I keep hearing Verizon is getting the iPhone in June/July.???? If that is the case I will wait it out so I can get the iPhone. Otherwise I am going in and picking up a Crackberry. Does anyone know if the rumors are true?
They will probably get it evetually but AT&T will put up quite a fight to keep it exclusive to them as long as they can. It has been a gold mine for ATT but they are finding that their network is not able to keep up with the traffic it causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The "rumor" (currently) is that production of a Verizon-compatible iPhone will be around September of this year. However, last I heard, AT&T exclusive agreement lasted through the end of the year, so it would be Jan 1, 2011 before anything would officially be sold by Verizon if all of this is true. The new iPhone you heard rumored for this Summer is an update of the current one and will be sold through AT&T.
The exclusive agreement required that the ATT network be able to handle the traffic. Apple will- and has- argued that ATT has failed to make the necessary upgrades to its network and that Verizon, which has a much more extensive 3G network, can better handle the traffic.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The exclusive agreement required that the ATT network be able to handle the traffic. Apple will- and has- argued that ATT has failed to make the necessary upgrades to its network and that Verizon, which has a much more extensive 3G network, can better handle the traffic.
I agree 100%. The problem with AT&T is they lie about their network. They do the advertisement about how their network covers 97% of Americans but that is based on agreements with other carriers not to charge roaming, so it's not actually their network. Verizon is about 3-4 times as large and Sprint is even twice as big coverage wise over AT&T. This is also why it wouldn't be effective with T-Mobile which is also an inferior network.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I agree 100%. The problem with AT&T is they lie about their network. They do the advertisement about how their network covers 97% of Americans but that is based on agreements with other carriers not to charge roaming, so it's not actually their network. Verizon is about 3-4 times as large and Sprint is even twice as big coverage wise over AT&T. This is also why it wouldn't be effective with T-Mobile which is also an inferior network.
Yeah that seems pretty accurate.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yes, initially what Apple and AT&T wanted was to monopolize the company, and it was well over working wonders for them, but there came a HUGE set back 14 months after the iPhone's release. They NEVER anticipated Google to join the race. Google saw that Apple was exclusively with only AT&T and cut a vast majority of the people off from getting "a very modern and trendy phone that BBM and Windows Mobile couldn't make at that time".

So Android (Google) came out for T-Mobile to compete with Apple and AT&T, and they took their opportunity to get more costumers by going to Sprint (Hero- 2nd Android phone released even before MyTouch) and then Verizon. Meaning AT&T would be the only one left out.

AT&T saw that, and made a deal with Android, and there will be Android phones coming out for AT&T really soon. Apple also saw this as an opportunity to expand it's base, so it will for sure 100% be staying with AT&T (to convert more T-Mobile costumers from GSM) and also is heavily negotiating with Verizon (To heavily convert Sprint costumer base for CDMA's).

It's going to get interesting now!
I've never even thought of it that way. I still prefer T-Mobile over AT&T, If you look at the plans for the Nexus One you can clearly see AT&T's greed.

Quote:
Family Plans:

AT&T: 550 shared minutes, unlimited data and text = $150/month for two lines.

T-Mobile: 750 shared minutes, unlimited data and text = $110/month for two lines.
Nexus One – AT&T Versus T-Mobile | These are the Droids

I'd take a T-Mobile iPhone (if it comes out) over an AT&T iPhone despite T-Mobile being "inferior", I get a good a 3G signal 95% with my MyTouch 3G. I really want the next iPhone and they said Verizon & T-Mobile are likely to get it next (probably because of the LTE, Sprint chose to be an oddball and go with WiMax?), both carriers have expressed interest.

I watched the iPhone OS 4 Event and I can't wait.

Last edited by Infamous92; 04-08-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've never even thought of it that way. I still prefer T-Mobile over AT&T, If you look at the plans for the Nexus One you can clearly see AT&T's greed.

I'd take a T-Mobile iPhone (if it comes out) over an AT&T iPhone despite T-Mobile being "inferior", I get a good a 3G signal 95% with my MyTouch 3G. I really want the next iPhone and they said Verizon & T-Mobile are likely to get it next (probably because of the LTE, Sprint chose to be an oddball and go with WiMax?), both carriers have expressed interest.

When exactly would OS IV come out?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
When exactly would OS IV come out?
Most likely June or early July.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Most likely June or early July.
That's right when the new iPhone comes out. Very similar to last year when 3.0 came out the same month as the 3G-S.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:

T Mobile does not even come close right NOW to ATT in network capacity which is the most important thing in how good a phone will perform. That is about to change however because T Mobile is doing a massive upgrade adding many more towers (often towers they own as opposed to renting space on) and they replacing their copper based T-1 transport with a new fiber transport with a Ciena 3911 delivery switch which will carry up to 1000mps- about 100 times the data they carry now. In a few years, I predict that T Mobile will be the 2nd best network in the country- only behind Verizon but at much less cost.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
T Mobile does not even come close right NOW to ATT in network capacity which is the most important thing in how good a phone will perform. That is about to change however because T Mobile is doing a massive upgrade adding many more towers (often towers they own as opposed to renting space on) and they replacing their copper based T-1 transport with a new fiber transport with a Ciena 3911 delivery switch which will carry up to 1000mps- about 100 times the data they carry now. In a few years, I predict that T Mobile will be the 2nd best network in the country- only behind Verizon but at much less cost.
T-Mobile's experimented with the fastest 3G data connection out of them all, but they can't make it to last right now, once they perfect that and innovate a fast 4G network, they'll be on top of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones