Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 13,391 times

Advertisements

I know that this question has been posed many times and I've read through several, but I'd still like to get some answers for myself.

I am in my mid 30's married with 2 little girls (3&4). We are considering relocating to the Charleston area for quality of life as much as anything. We currently live in Memphis, but think that Charleston may provide a much better environment to raise our kids (good schools, water/beach nearby, general atmosphere, etc) I have my own investment business so employment will hopefully not be an issue.

Looking around it seems that Mount Pleasant is the best bet for our purposes. Any input on neighborhoods and schooling would be great..especially for young children. We have spent time in Ion which is amazing, but also on the top end. Would love to hear about other good neighborhoods.

Am I crazy thinking that this is an ideal place for quality of life? especially if you enjoy the water, golf, and good restaurants! Also, people mention cost of living, but that would seem to only pertain to housing in Charleston and that seems to have come down to earth. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Hi... and welcome to the Charleston city-data.

Look over my post and it might give you some insight to Mount Pleasant.

We are finally moving to MP in a few more months.

Two years ago my research started for Charleston.
Then narrowed it down to MP.
Came for a visit myself 1 year ago.
The Mrs and Boy and I visited this past May for 2 weeks and now moving soon.

Hope the info in my post helps

Michael

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charleston-area/638611-another-yankee-brooklyn-ny-moving-south.html

Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
If coastal living is what you are looking for -- Mount Pleasant will suit your purposes. The schools are decent, the location unbeatable. Ocean, marshes, rivers, water everywhere.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM

65 posts, read 140,124 times
All the schools are really good in Mt Pleasant. On the North end Park West neighborhood has Laurel Hill Primary K-2, and an elementary and middle school all located in the neighborhood. This is convienent to Dunes West, Park West has all price points, currently Rivertowne, Planter's Point and Charleston National all feed into these schools. Hamlin Plantation & Brickyard feed into Jeannie Moore which is actually a great school too. My friend that live in Old Mount Pleasant or closer in love their public schools as well. You really can't go wrong just find a neighborhood you like and settle in!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,020 times
I moved here 6 years ago from South Florida and I love it here! I have a 2 and 4 year old as well as two older children (13 and 17). The quality of life, school system, restaurants, activities are great here. I have lived in many places up and down the east coast as well as California and Chicago and this is my favorite place. Ion is a very nice neighborhood but you may want to tour other neighborhoods to get a good feel of the area.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks for all of the replys so far. I really appreciate your input. I'm excited about this idea, but just trying to reassure myself that it isn't a rash decision.

I truly believe that the Charleston area has everything we're looking for from a quality of life perspective. I think (if we make the move) that we'll rent for 6 months or so to get a feel for whether it's the right move and, if so, which neighborhood we like.

feel free to continue with any further input that may help. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,404 times
We live in Snee Farm, and though it's an older subdivision, we love it. Lots of great old trees and landscaping! I think there are some good, reasonable houses available, and more and more young families are moving in. Golf, swim club, yes!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 PM

43 posts, read 108,650 times
My husband took a job in the Charleston area and we will be moving too. We have 5 children but 1 will be attending college. Looking at Johns Island on the internet, is this a good area for family and schools?

Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Schools aren't that great, fairly low crime some traffic...

Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks again for all of the replies.

As I mentioned, we've stayed in Ion and love it. Great location and amazing plan. May or may not be affordable for us. Sounds like Daniel Island is very similar, but not very convenient to downtown, etc. Looking forward to checking it out though. We like the Old village area too and I've seen a few condo type units in an area called Midtown in Charleston? Curious if anyone has any info on that area and/or if there are many newer infill type developments in Charleston proper?

It seems like there is a very wide selection of school options (especially for my young ones.) so i guess we'll just have to tour and get a feel for them when we visit.

All in all, I'm just hoping we can get our current house sold and give Charleston/Mount Pleasant a try! feel free to continue with any input. We really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area