Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times

Advertisements

I admit I am primarily a fan of Target.

And I admit that it is sad when a huge corporation puts Mom and Pop shops out of business.

Having said that, why does Wal Mart get so much grief? Some of the things they do, they do really well.

For example, I ordered my daughter's birthday cupcakes for her to take to school at Publix--$29.00 for 18 cupcakes. I cancelled that order and went to the Wal Mart bakery. Guess what? Exactly the same design, 24 cupcakes, for $18.00. I'll take a savings of $11.00!! By the way, the cake from Wal Mart is really good--very moist--but really do a bunch of 4 year olds care?

They have Hallmark wrapping paper for less than the marked price. They have a collection of dolls made by Madame Alexander that are beautiful and affordable. Their "Mainstays" products are actually nationally made brands like Rubbermaid (for example) repackaged for WalMart. They have great clearance prices on DS games....And great prices on food. There are a ton more examples.

Me personally I am not a fan of their clothes or shoes but that is just my personal taste.

If there were a Target and a WalMart right next door to each other, I would almost always choose Target first, but really, sometimes you just find a good deal at WalMart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
First and foremost wm does most of their buying from china.......
China is a enemy of these United States ! Always has been, always will be.

Since the buying is done in that dump, jobs here are lost. People here suffer.
wm does this all for the mighty dollar.

wm also has poor business practices and treats many employees unfairly.
But like so many that ARE employed today people stay because they NEED
the job.

wm should be closed up for the damage that they alone have done to this country.

Other retailers operate similarly but none can top wm.........yet.

There is nothing that they do "well".

my .02

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM

339 posts, read 1,166,751 times
I just got back from Walmart. I was there because it is close to the hotel and I didn't know how to get to another grocery. Having said that, I usually stay out of Walmart because of the customers. Is it just me or is Walmart a "manners free zone"? My husband hates that they stop everyone going out of the store to look at thier reciept. I understand that doing so put a huge dent in their shrink but my husband likes point out that they do not have the right to make you stop. Me? I'd rather see the greeter turning people away for wearing shorts that don't cover the bottom half of their butt.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavin_florida View Post
My husband hates that they stop everyone going out of the store to look at thier reciept. I understand that doing so put a huge dent in their shrink but my husband likes point out that they do not have the right to make you stop.

Really? They never do that to me! Not once.

I wonder if that depends where you live?

It is true though that the clientele is overall not exactly what one might call "upscale".

If only we could get a Super Target....

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
First and foremost wm does most of their buying from china.......
China is a enemy of these United States ! Always has been, always will be.

Since the buying is done in that dump, jobs here are lost.

My husband buys a certain type of mineral from China that is needed by manufacturers here in the U.S.

He is able to buy it from China because of worldwide business connections that he has forged over the past 15 years. His clients cannot buy it directly from China but are thankful to buy it from him because they need this certain mineral. Jobs here are kept--including my DH's--because he can buy from China.

Perhaps you are generally right, but I think one should be hesitant before one makes such a blanket statement.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I admit I am primarily a fan of Target.

And I admit that it is sad when a huge corporation puts Mom and Pop shops out of business.

Having said that, why does Wal Mart get so much grief? Some of the things they do, they do really well.

For example, I ordered my daughter's birthday cupcakes for her to take to school at Publix--$29.00 for 18 cupcakes. I cancelled that order and went to the Wal Mart bakery. Guess what? Exactly the same design, 24 cupcakes, for $18.00. I'll take a savings of $11.00!! By the way, the cake from Wal Mart is really good--very moist--but really do a bunch of 4 year olds care?

They have Hallmark wrapping paper for less than the marked price. They have a collection of dolls made by Madame Alexander that are beautiful and affordable. Their "Mainstays" products are actually nationally made brands like Rubbermaid (for example) repackaged for WalMart. They have great clearance prices on DS games....And great prices on food. There are a ton more examples.

Me personally I am not a fan of their clothes or shoes but that is just my personal taste.

If there were a Target and a WalMart right next door to each other, I would almost always choose Target first, but really, sometimes you just find a good deal at WalMart.
But one has to look at the mechanics of that 'good deal'.

Wal-Mart says they 'Rollback prices.'

In truth, they 'Rollback wages.'

Including yours.

And there is the phenom of 'Wal-Mart killing twice'.

And of course the 'Dead Peasant' insurance policies, although they are not the only corp to do that.

Then, look at the social conditions of Arkansas:

That is Wal-Mart's plan for all of us.

Lastly, there is simple economics:

Shop at Wal-Mart and 70% of your money never sees the local economy; shop at a local store (ownership) and 70% of your cash stays local.

That is why I'd rather shop at a local store.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My husband buys a certain type of mineral from China that is needed by manufacturers here in the U.S.

He is able to buy it from China because of worldwide business connections that he has forged over the past 15 years. His clients cannot buy it directly from China but are thankful to buy it from him because they need this certain mineral. Jobs here are kept--including my DH's--because he can buy from China.

Perhaps you are generally right, but I think one should be hesitant before one makes such a blanket statement.
I'm curious of what mineral/material is solely confined to China.

I do NOT need to know, but I simply cannot think of anything that meets that standard.

But let's assume there is such a substance:

You do know how bi-lateral trade worked, I assume?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM

435 posts, read 835,143 times
I don't know why people dislike WM. Everyone know the good is cheap and you get what you pay for. No one is forcing you to shop in WM. WM's bussiness model is very successful because it it extremely profitable. Since you talk about China, do you know WM workers are unionized in China and treated a lot better than the US ones. Why? China government literally told them to get out of China if they don't allow union, period.

Btw, stop blaming others for our problem. China is not even our largest trading partner (you think China is number one, don't you). China is number 2.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM

87 posts, read 183,579 times
Default Walmart

I have to agree with Chromekitty.

Walmart is one of the main reasons China does the amount of business they do in this country.
I've read that the reason there are so many bedbugs on the rise in this country is due to the imports of sheets, blankets etc from China and other Asian countries that have the problem but don't consider it a problem like we do. Again, it is something that I have read. I also read that if you do purchase material such as clothing etc......the eggs from the bedbugs are in the fabric. One way of dealing with it is to put the dryer on a high setting for 20 minutes. That is suppose to kill any bedbugs and their eggs.
As for me.....I try not to purchase things from accross the border. I would prefer to pay a little more to have something made here by my fellow Americans. That even goes for food. i can't wait to buy an electric car.
But that's just me and my way.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyCh View Post
I don't know why people dislike WM. Everyone know the good is cheap and you get what you pay for. No one is forcing you to shop in WM. WM's bussiness model is very successful because it it extremely profitable. Since you talk about China, do you know WM workers are unionized in China and treated a lot better than the US ones. Why? China government literally told them to get out of China if they don't allow union, period.

Btw, stop blaming others for our problem. China is not even our largest trading partner (you think China is number one, don't you). China is number 2.
Canada is #1, I believe (eh?)

But China is our #1 debt-holder.

Credit 20-cent per hour labor, plus a currency that is under-valued by 30%.

And yes, Wal-Mart- by strategic design- does force many people in smaller towns to shop in its bowels.

That is the phenom of 'Wal-Mart killing twice' of which I spoke earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area