Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,357 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm joining this discussion a bit late, but my husband and I are in the process of moving to the Charleston area. Our primary reason for chosing Charleston is the beautiful beaches. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between IOP and Folly when it comes to the quality of the beach/sand itself? Is Folly as wide, flat, and smooth sand as IOP? We plan to spend a lot of time just walking along the beach (not swimming), so we wondered if Folly sand is as nice and wide as IOP.

Thanks for any insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 16,823 times
IOP for sure if you have a child, parts of Folly are more college oriented, drinking and what not. IOP is family oriented and a much nicer beach with more to do and places to eat right on the beach.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
As a 21 year old and I have a boyfriend which is the best beach for us to go to???

Old 03-08-2014, 02:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
The closest one.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:19 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
The closest one.
psych101: Passive aggressive. don't need 2 degrees to figure that out.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
I find:

IOP: More family oriented, nice little strip of stores and places to eat.
Folly: Surfers, a bit of an adult crowd (much better since they banned alcohol on the beach though). The Folly strip also has some great restaurants and shops.
Sullivan's: Ultimate locals beach. No hotels, but, a quick drive from Mount P or IOP. (Hint: Go onto the island, and keep driving past the Kangaroo gas station towards Fort Moultrie. Make a left at the split. You'll find a secluded public access near the lighthouse. Go on the beach, walk to the right for a half mile. Basically a private beach with Fort Sumter and Downtown on the horizon. My single favorite spot in the Lowcountry. Just don't leak it to too many others haha!)

Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emahjae View Post
As a 21 year old and I have a boyfriend which is the best beach for us to go to???
Cant go wrong with any of the 3.

If you wanna party a bit more, Folly. If you want a more secluded "Notebook" experience, Sullivans. If you wanna be around families and have just a good old fashioned beach day with some pizza, ice cream, sun and sand...IOP is perfect.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
psych101: Passive aggressive. don't need 2 degrees to figure that out.
LOL

It's not passive aggressive though. I don't really get when people say "this beach is for young couples and 20-somethings", "this beach is more family-oriented". I don't get those statements when it comes to the beaches around here! Aren't all beaches family-friendly? Is IOP considered family friendly because it has bathrooms close by? Doesn't everyone use the bathroom? And Folly is the hipster beach? Why? Because of the name? Or because of the restaurants within walking distance? I have honestly seen more college age/20-somethings at Sullivan's. Doesn't everyone see surfers at all 3?

I just don't see what the difference in attendees is at the beaches. So, skip the mumbo jumbo and go to the closest one to have more beach time!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM

202 posts, read 295,608 times
I prefer Isle of Palms and Sullivans Island, not as far a drive.

Folly does have waves coming from two directions so that mmight be more fun if you are trying to surf.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
LOL

It's not passive aggressive though. I don't really get when people say "this beach is for young couples and 20-somethings", "this beach is more family-oriented". I don't get those statements when it comes to the beaches around here! Aren't all beaches family-friendly? Is IOP considered family friendly because it has bathrooms close by? Doesn't everyone use the bathroom? And Folly is the hipster beach? Why? Because of the name? Or because of the restaurants within walking distance? I have honestly seen more college age/20-somethings at Sullivan's. Doesn't everyone see surfers at all 3?

I just don't see what the difference in attendees is at the beaches. So, skip the mumbo jumbo and go to the closest one to have more beach time!
When you could drink on Folly it was a bit out of hand on weekends. You're right, they're 90% exactly the same. But, that 10% difference is there. Sullivan's has always been less crowded, which is why its my favorite.

Banning booze on Folly helped A LOT. Now that beach is back to its awesome self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area