Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:50 PM

167 posts, read 315,866 times

Advertisements

Hi - The wife and I are heading to Charleston for a week vacation and want to get a feel for the area. If you had a list of one or two things in each of the local communities to be sure to visit, what would you include?

We got a visitor's guide but I'm not necessarily interested in just the tourist trap type stuff.

We have a few resumes out there too because we'd like to land some work in town and leave the Wisconsin tax hell behind us before next winter, so can anyone suggest some employment agencies/headhunters also? My wife works in e-mail customer service support but also has apartment leasing experience, and I manage a very large, busy convenience store/gas station.

Thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 PM

WOW - Nothing?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:05 PM

672 posts, read 2,115,528 times
I always suggest Charles Towne Landing State Historic Site. Even if you don't like history, it's a nice place to walk around. I've been there 5 times and every time I see something new. Whenever I have company and we're going to Charleston, we go to Charles Towne Landing.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,346,215 times
Crusher, I hate to tell you but Weekends are very quiet on this site during the summer, we are all out enjoying the areas many attractions.....

Let everyone get back to work tomorrow and you will get some replies....

Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 AM

506 posts, read 1,026,849 times
Yeah, and everyone was attending "End of the World" parties Saturday night.

One of my favorite rides is Bohicket Road to Kiawah and Seabrook Islands. Freshfields Village is a right at the fork in the road and is a nice little shopping area with a super market that has surprisingly reasonable prices for it's location. I'm pretty sure you cannot go into Seabrook if you are not staying there or a guest of someone staying there but there is a park at Kiawah.

Depending on what time you go, you can stop either before or after for lunch at the Stono Market aka the Tomato Shed. It is not fancy, but the food is great. If you like tomatoes, onions and cheese you have to try the Tomato Pie. Their hours are 11:00 to 2:30 but if you get there between 12:00 and 1:00, you will probably have to wait for a table. We usually try to be there by 11:30.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 AM

The wife and I went to Niagara Falls for the weekend, it was grand.....

Cost about that too......

Now back to your subject........

What do yall like to do, are yall beach people, historic sites, gardens and plantations, etc......

Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM

OK cool - thanks for the replies so far!

We like historic sites, beaches, good, inexpensive restaurants (I don't need the 'fine dining' pricetag lol), aquariums, museums, boardwalks, surf shops, zoos & wildlife, local festivals . . . a little bit of everything I guess. Not so much interested in botanical gardens and art exhibits. The wife is big on seafood and I like a little also but am more of a thick bar-burger with a couple brewskis kind of guy.

If we can fill the time during the day with a destination / activity and then bum around in the area seeing shops & things that would be ideal, capping the day with a nice dinner.

And any tips for job searching while out & about would be appreciated . . . I am bringing some resumes.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Love Montreax in Summerville for their Wednesday Burger night....

Reds Ice house for a good cold beer..........

That place that Rick always recommends for inexpensive but good food......

Magnolia Gardens, show an old plantation with some really beautiful flowers....

We have an aquarium, but I have never been, I know smack me.....

Kids museum, downtown for small ones, but lots of historical areas around for all ages.....

Patriots point...

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,455,957 times
Sullivan's Island-quiet mostly with the old fort at the southern tip of it. Nice views of Charleston, Ft. Sumter, and the coast from there.

James Island-some nice places to hang out and eat and drink. Not too familiar with it but I know that much about it

Folly Beach-eat, drink, be merry, very nice beach, quiet, you can walk around quite a bit. Several very cool hang-outs.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,865 times
I have only been in the area a few months, but a couple of my favorite restaurants so far are Kickin Chicken and Gullah Cuisine. Kickin Chicken is a bar atmosphere, but they have good chicken. I think there might also be burgers on the menu. Tuesdays are 2 entrees (or sandwiches I believe) for $10, so that is $5 each.

It seems to take forever to get your meal at Gullah Cuisine, but it is worth the wait. The owner comes around to all the tables to talk to people, which is a nice touch. We ended up buying their cookbook and made the Gullah rice last week. Wow! The price of the cookbook was worth it for that recipe!

We like to go to Isle of Palms beach on the weekends and sometimes after work. It is only 5 miles from where we live, so it is convenient. We like it there.

You could go to the Charles Pinckney historical site. We haven't been yet, but it looks nice. I think that is on my list for this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area