Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 30,277 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area by the end of the summer. We are a family of five with three small kids. Looking for advice about what it is like to live on either Sullivan's Island or Isle of Palms. Can anyone give advice on quality of the schools and life in general?

I understand the local elementary school is in a temporary location but that the school overall is pretty good.

We love the idea of living near the beach but wonder about traffic in the summer and just how transient the area is (are there a lot of full-time residents?) Is either island better than the other for families?

All input appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM

75 posts, read 244,557 times
While I don't live on either one, I have friends who live on both. My friends on Sullivan's have children and emphatically swear its hands down better than IOP. My friends on IOP, say they love it there...but because they allow for short term vacation rentals, there's a more transient feel and its more crowded with tourists. If I had $$ and had to pick, Sullivan's would be my choice.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I think more availability for rental on IOP but Sullivans would be better, more permanent residents.

Check it out on the week end though. Traffic/parking is horrendous. Also -- something to consider, ease of running a quick errand. There's not a whole lot of conveniences on the islands. On a Saturday a quick trip to the hardware store, is not so quick.

Lots of families on both islands.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
My husband grew up on both IOP and Sullivans after moving here from Ohio. His parents still live on IOP and his Uncle and their children grew up on Sullivans. We'd love to raise our family on the Island. Both areas have plenty of year round residents. We prefer to go to Sullivans Island for beach because it is more private. This weekend was a zoo but it is only like this on big holiday weekends.

The schools for elementary are the same and a great school. Yes it has been temporarily moved until they rebuild and that will be awhile. And rentals will be hard to find. Great buys right now however.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 30,277 times
Thanks for the input so far!

So how bad is the traffic on nice weekends for both islands? Is it backed up for miles? Does it take a half hour to cross the bridge?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,009 times
It really just depends on time of day etc. Yesterday Memorial day, there was an accident on the IOP connector we left the beach ( we went to Sullivans) at 6pm and we were home in our driveway( park west) by 6:30. But it really just depends. I would never expect it to take 30 minutes (with the exception of leaving fireworks on july 4th).

Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Traffic is not bad at all - sometimes you might catch the Ben Sawyer bridge opening for a boat, but other than that it's a breeze......Folly Beach, however, is another story......there are great prices for homes now on the IOP, Sullivans is far pricier, but has a great daycare/grade school (adorable actually!) - it all depends on your price point.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,181 times
If I were to choose I would also pick Sullivan's Island, because it feels less like a tourist town. I dropped my boys off at IOP County Park Sunday (Memorial Day weekend), and it took me about twice the normal time to get there from my house, and traffic was backed up all the way to Towne Center, and it still took only about 30 minutes to get there. Traffic seemed bad at the time, but that's only because there usually isn't really much. Once I started thinking about beach traffic where I grew up I realized it really wasn't bad at all.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Isle of Palms was lovely waterfront real estate - be prepared to pay the big bucks for a house that won't get blown away, and even then, I hate to say it, but the area is overdue for a direct hit from a major hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area