Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,069,703 times

Advertisements

They could pave it in two months if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 04:28 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
They could pave it in two months if they wanted to.

Takes two months to put up a traffic light.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:34 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutledge Avenue View Post
Tons of potential with the new SC gas tax to make the many many minor improvements needed that in many ways will make quality of life on Johns Island better than one new mega project (526) can provide.

Today with this new tax, there is hope that both will be realized and Johns Island can finally be adequately connected both locally and regionally.

Im generally against new roads, but this is really an old road that should have been built long ago and wasn't. Charleston doesn't need a second ring road to encourage even more sprawl, but it does need to finish the one it's already started to mitigate what's already happening here.

With that being said, I would prefer the JI connector to be more of a parkway than an interstate considering it leads straight to Calhoun St/MUSC. Maybe add some bike lanes since there's actually room here and stop this Ashley River Bridge nonsense once and for all and leave that one for the cars.
I have my doubts about this vaunted gas tax as they didn't even use the funds they collected already properly so what will more money thrown at the problem do? If I'm wrong, great, but since these gas tax funds go into the general fund, I have some serious, serious doubts.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutledge Avenue View Post
Tons of potential with the new SC gas tax to make the many many minor improvements needed that in many ways will make quality of life on Johns Island better than one new mega project (526) can provide.

Today with this new tax, there is hope that both will be realized and Johns Island can finally be adequately connected both locally and regionally.

Im generally against new roads, but this is really an old road that should have been built long ago and wasn't. Charleston doesn't need a second ring road to encourage even more sprawl, but it does need to finish the one it's already started to mitigate what's already happening here.

With that being said, I would prefer the JI connector to be more of a parkway than an interstate considering it leads straight to Calhoun St/MUSC. Maybe add some bike lanes since there's actually room here and stop this Ashley River Bridge nonsense once and for all and leave that one for the cars.
You are right on ! It's great news that the new gas tax for roads passed after 30 years (crumbling roads and potholes prove this) of not having it!!
Now, money will be there, and it is very encouraging for Johns Island, 526 completion, and all of South Carolina!
Southbel: you need to study the gas tax for the state, it does not go into the general fund, it is for roadways in SC.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
The low gas tax isn't the only reason the roads are crumbling. That's just the excuse the state tries to pass on to everyone. Raising it is a start, but that doesn't mean an automatic fix nor does it mean all the needed money is going to be sitting around.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
You are right on ! It's great news that the new gas tax for roads passed after 30 years (crumbling roads and potholes prove this) of not having it!!
Now, money will be there, and it is very encouraging for Johns Island, 526 completion, and all of South Carolina!
Southbel: you need to study the gas tax for the state, it does not go into the general fund, it is for roadways in SC.
Unless they changed this bill right before passage, this additional tax is going into the general fund. The remaining gas tax must go to roads only but this bill, from what I've read, does not make the same provision.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Takes two months to put up a traffic light.
Ha ha!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I have my doubts about this vaunted gas tax as they didn't even use the funds they collected already properly so what will more money thrown at the problem do? If I'm wrong, great, but since these gas tax funds go into the general fund, I have some serious, serious doubts.
You will be proven right.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM

6,416 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
You will be proven right.
You mean you hope the gas tax is not used for improving roads. Tell the truth. You don't want any growth or improvement in our roadways!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
The problem is that gas tax was used for 101 other things as well. So they will fund roads from it but also use it to free up money for other things. It was a needlessly messy and complicated bill- and I say that as someone who would support a true gas tax for road spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area