Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 10,904 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Philadelphia, was buying in Park West, problem with the house we thought we were buying had us rent on IOP and we LOVED living on the island. We started looking closer to the island and found Hamlin Plantation. I want to recommend this neighborhood for people coming down who like Park West and Dunes West, in look and amenities. Hamlin Plantation keeps you off 17, is so much closer to the beach, has a gorgeous neighborhood without the gate. Has the amenities of Dunes West: giant waterslide for kids, fountain area for kids, great fitness center, tennis, b-ball, etc. The neighborhood is much more contained and less spread out. Kids can easily bike to all inside. It does not have a golf course but is across the street from Charleston National if you desire that. The summer breezes off Hamlin sound keep the whole neighborhood nicely ventilated when it gets hot. We are so so so happy that we ended up here instead. Not to mention, great Wieland homes and wonderful neighbors, including a lot of organized family social events. Hamlin is a must see before you buy on the other side. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM

96 posts, read 168,711 times
Daniel...nice post w/ good information. We are heading down on 10/9 to look at rentals and the different areas in Mt. Pleasant. Planning to move in Jan.. do you have any info on Waters Edge...that also looks closer to the beach.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Watersedge is a much smaller, older subdivision with no pool amenity, no clubhouse, no fitness center. It has well treed lots and is a community made up of all kinds of families, retirees, young families and older families. The subidivsion is not as expensive as Hamlin, homes are smaller and more dated but it is a GREAT location. Easy access to IOP, Hungry Neck, shopping, etc. and the beach.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 168,711 times
Moneill...thanks for the info

Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM

17 posts, read 45,804 times
Danielle, you make a good argument for Hamlin. I would add that it doesn't take you 15 minutes to get to the front of the complex, like some areas in Dunes West and Park west. That being said, DW and PW (and Rivertowne) are great places to live. My friends who live in PW have small children and they love the amenity center...there is always someone there to play with! I think if they ever move it will just be to a larger home within the subdivision. The beauty of Dunes West is the variety of homestyles there. Folks who live in Dunes West, especially behind the gate, love the larger lots surrounding the golf course with tons of trees but there are also nice homes with small courtyards beside the clubhouse. So, a little something for everyone!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:19 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruaduffer View Post
Danielle, you make a good argument for Hamlin. I would add that it doesn't take you 15 minutes to get to the front of the complex, like some areas in Dunes West and Park west. That being said, DW and PW (and Rivertowne) are great places to live. My friends who live in PW have small children and they love the amenity center...there is always someone there to play with! I think if they ever move it will just be to a larger home within the subdivision. The beauty of Dunes West is the variety of homestyles there. Folks who live in Dunes West, especially behind the gate, love the larger lots surrounding the golf course with tons of trees but there are also nice homes with small courtyards beside the clubhouse. So, a little something for everyone!
I've only driven around Dunes West a few times, but I don't think it takes anywhere close to 15 minutes to reach either of the gates even from the furthest extremes of the development. I know for a fact that from the back of Park West it'll take you about half that amount of time. (driving the speed limit)

Exaggeration does no one any good.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Of the 3 mentioned if I were raising children then Park West would interest me more due to the closeness of stores, recreation, schools, etc. that they can walk/bicycle to.

I am by no means putting Dunes West nor Hamlin down. They are lovely areas.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Exaggeration does no one any good.
Ditto........ !

I live at almost the end of Park West and from the main entrance off of 17 it takes less than 5 minutes with doing the 35 and then 25 speed limit to get home.

Nothing beats the MP Rec Ctr... one reason we choose PW... and less than 5 minutes away, same with the PW pool.

And all schools up until HS are less than 5 minutes away and Wando HS is just a bit further.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
Ditto........ !

I live at almost the end of Park West and from the main entrance off of 17 it takes less than 5 minutes with doing the 35 and then 25 speed limit to get home.

Nothing beats the MP Rec Ctr... one reason we choose PW... and less than 5 minutes away, same with the PW pool.

And all schools up until HS are less than 5 minutes away and Wando HS is just a bit further.
In most cases I would agree that the 15 minute estimation was pretty exaggerated, but there have been a few times where I swear I have sat at one of the side roads leading out of a housing area for AGES trying to right onto Park West Blvd, and forget about turning left during peak traffic times!

Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM

482 posts, read 845,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
In most cases I would agree that the 15 minute estimation was pretty exaggerated, but there have been a few times where I swear I have sat at one of the side roads leading out of a housing area for AGES trying to right onto Park West Blvd, and forget about turning left during peak traffic times!
Sometimes it feels like it's that long, i guess it depends if your in a hurry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area