Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What I find amazing is the fact that they will take a lane of the Ashley river bridge to make it a bike path. I travel that bridge everyday in my work and it is so congested now. What is it going to be like when they close that lane? It seems the "leaders" are creating more traffic problems around Charleston than they are solving.

Yeah I read that also. I would think it would be less of a strain on traffic and probably cheaper and safer to modify the connector. I think the lanes are wide enough to be modified to add a safe pedestrian/cyclist lane. The hurdle would be dealing with the exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

315 posts, read 623,483 times
I live in Mt P, and let me vent about these wannabe Tour-De-France morons on their bikes:

For one, WE the taxpayer funded a giant Ravenel Bridge with both a pedestrian and bike lane, 5 mile round trip, for you idiots to exercise on. WE also funded at least 4 full size tracks in the town of Mt P for you to walk on, and they are almost always empty. I'm a jogger, and I have jogged on the SIDEWALK from Sullivan's Island, all the way to downtown, out of traffic. Which means so can you and so can bikes. This city has a huge amount of areas for bikes and walkers. But you morons, bicyclists in particular, are so stubborn and delusional that you try to prove a point by instead riding in the darn road, especially on HEAVILY travelled roads like Coleman and Rifle Range.

I have absolutley no sympathy for whining bicyclists. I applaud the City of Charleston and the state for banning bikes from that high speed road. I would ban them from ALL Interstates, US highways, SC highways, and possibly even many secondary roads.

Wanna bike? Use the ample parks or huge bridge with a bike lane. Yeah, I'm one of those "honkers", and about a year ago on Rifle Range I was riding behind one "too close" I guess, and he flipped me off and rode farther into the lane. So....when I could go around, I safely did, got in front of him, and slowed to a speed even slower than he was going. he got pissed for slowing him down and threw his water at my car. Imagine the irony.

Anyway, bicycles should be banned from main roads. Use the parks and bike lane on the bridge we already built for you whiners, and PLEASE keep encouraging other bikers to NOT move here!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:16 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
I agree... I am willing to share, but I hate when they don't use resources, or even worse, recreationally ride busy roads during rush hour times.

Some, not all bikers, think since they are a bike the world revolves around them, and things like stopsigns, etc... only apply to them when they care.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,940,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I agree... I am willing to share, but I hate when they don't use resources, or even worse, recreationally ride busy roads during rush hour times.

Some, not all bikers, think since they are a bike the world revolves around them, and things like stopsigns, etc... only apply to them when they care.
I can assure that there is nothing about the bike issues that is unique to the Charleston area. It seems to me they are all striving for prick of the month or something similar.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
I can assure that there is nothing about the bike issues that is unique to the Charleston area. It seems to me they are all striving for prick of the month or something similar.
I agree, I haven't had many encounters in charleston, most of mine were in FL.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
I live in Mt P, and let me vent about these wannabe Tour-De-France morons on their bikes:

For one, WE the taxpayer funded a giant Ravenel Bridge with both a pedestrian and bike lane, 5 mile round trip, for you idiots to exercise on. WE also funded at least 4 full size tracks in the town of Mt P for you to walk on, and they are almost always empty. I'm a jogger, and I have jogged on the SIDEWALK from Sullivan's Island, all the way to downtown, out of traffic. Which means so can you and so can bikes. This city has a huge amount of areas for bikes and walkers. But you morons, bicyclists in particular, are so stubborn and delusional that you try to prove a point by instead riding in the darn road, especially on HEAVILY travelled roads like Coleman and Rifle Range.

I have absolutley no sympathy for whining bicyclists. I applaud the City of Charleston and the state for banning bikes from that high speed road. I would ban them from ALL Interstates, US highways, SC highways, and possibly even many secondary roads.

Wanna bike? Use the ample parks or huge bridge with a bike lane. Yeah, I'm one of those "honkers", and about a year ago on Rifle Range I was riding behind one "too close" I guess, and he flipped me off and rode farther into the lane. So....when I could go around, I safely did, got in front of him, and slowed to a speed even slower than he was going. he got pissed for slowing him down and threw his water at my car. Imagine the irony.

Anyway, bicycles should be banned from main roads. Use the parks and bike lane on the bridge we already built for you whiners, and PLEASE keep encouraging other bikers to NOT move here!
How did you ever get a DL. Go back and read up on the law. If you have an issue with commuting cyclists call local LE.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Yeah I read that also. I would think it would be less of a strain on traffic and probably cheaper and safer to modify the connector. I think the lanes are wide enough to be modified to add a safe pedestrian/cyclist lane. The hurdle would be dealing with the exits.

I agree.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post

I agree with you that some cyclists take it too far with the whole "share the road" agenda, especially when there are safe, dedicated bike route alternatives. However, at least from my time in D.C., they also tend to create dangers on the dedicated paths for pedestrians with their Tour-De-France, everyone get out of my way attitudes. I think the bottom line is the group of cyclists with this attitude (which I think is the minority) need to realize that they must compromise to make it safe for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians.

Also, I agree Mt Pleasant to Charleston is very bike friendly, however James Island not so much. There really isn't a safe way to get downtown from James Island. I'd have to believe most of these cyclists paid the same taxes you did to fund the paths so I'm not sure why you take issue there. I guess we'll have to disagree, but I think cycling should be promoted as an alternative to driving..not frowned upon.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What I find amazing is the fact that they will take a lane of the Ashley river bridge to make it a bike path. I travel that bridge everyday in my work and it is so congested now. What is it going to be like when they close that lane? It seems the "leaders" are creating more traffic problems around Charleston than they are solving.
All so a small handful of arrogant middle aged men can wear spandex and ride their crappy bikes anywhere they want while mean mugging any of us cavemen who are stuck in the dark ages of automobile travel. I have no sympathy for bicyclist who refuse the numerous cycling venues already available. The Ravenel bridge is a 5 mile round trip, world class pedestrian/bike access with a barrier to traffic. I jog it often. I see 30X more walkers than bikers. Obviously, supply of bicycle lanes FAR FAR FAR exceeds demand. Common sense. No more wasted $$ appeasing arrogant cyclists.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How did you ever get a DL. Go back and read up on the law. If you have an issue with commuting cyclists call local LE.
Hey dumbass, guess what? I can legally swim in shark or alligator infested waters too. But I dont. Why? Because it's dangerous. I'm not gonna whine that the government remove the gators and sharks.

You stupid asses think you absolutely MUST ride your ****ty bikes on every single major road in Charleston. I have no sympathy. Major roads are for cars. Even if the law technically means you can ride a bike there, it doesn't mean you SHOULD. And WE the taxpayer have already spent millions providing you morons with parks and one of the largest bicycle lanes in North America on the Ravenel bridge, where you can peddle your little bike all you want for that amazing bridge. Bike lanes are FAR in excess of demand.

I dont need to contact LE. They dont like bikers either. Unfortunately, there is a loophole in the law that allows you idiots on all main roads, so you smuggly ride your crappy bikes and wear your pandex like you're in a Tour De France race, all on the main roads with 3,000 pound cars, then cry like children when a sacred, holy cyclists is hit by a car.

Kinda like whining when a guy swims through the Goose Creek reservoir and gets bit by a gator. What did you expect dumbass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area