Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

27 posts, read 65,082 times

Advertisements

I am an avid Road Biker (Spandex and a 3000 dollar custom Titanium Road Bike). I am moving to Charleston soon and bringing my bike!
There are bike clubs in Charleston with lots of members who ride weekly, and do so safely! I have been riding for many years. I have about 6000 miles on my bike and its my 3rd one. I use common courtesy..Ride single file, all the way over on the right, mostly in groups so we are seen. I use hand signals to show where I am going. I obey the traffic laws and don't ride on highways unless it's absolutely neccessary, and for a very short distance.
However, even being as courteous as I am...I have had drivers sneak up behind me and then BLOW the horn to scare me. I had a beer can thrown at me while riding alone on a 2 lane country road with very little traffic. That is the risk I take for doing something I love. Yes, there are people that behave badly out there....what a suprise, right?
99% of the time the drivers are courteous to me and I am courteous to them.
I am fit. I take no medications. I feel great. I'm old enough to be a grandfather and I weigh 160 lbs. WHY? Because I exercise, which includes BIKE RIDING!
Bicycles have been around for a long time and their popularity is growing so quit bitchin', get off the sofa, turn off the TV, and get on a bike! Go for a ride! You'll feel better...
...and please remember, because I do...my bike and I can't hurt you but you could kill me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringosid View Post
...and please remember, because I do...my bike and I can't hurt you but you could kill me!
The exact reason why bikes should not be allowed on major roads like the JI Connector.....

Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
The exact reason why bikes should not be allowed on major roads like the JI Connector.....
And I guess the next thing to ban is motorcycles....

Old 01-11-2012, 08:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And why would you do that?

Twice in two weeks I've seen bikers nearly hit on the JI connector. Keep in mind that in these past two weeks I've only made four round trips (a total of eight crossings) over that expressway. That means that on 1/4 of my trips I saw near accidents.

The bicyclist was at fault on both occasions.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
This thread could be transferred to my local forum and it would be right at home. We get bikes four abreast on a 45 mph road taking up the curb lane during rush hour and they wonder why drivers get mad.

We have, per capita, the stupidest bikers n the entire country.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Just for clarity- the city (riley/charleston/bike-haters) are not removing the bikers right to bike the JI Connector. They should have never allowed the bikers/runners to begin with. The connector was designed as an end link of 526 and is pretty much meant as an interstate. I remember when I moved to Charleston people used to be shocked that there were bikers/runners on the connector because no one expected it.

The basic guidelines for the connector (and the Ravenel Bridge) are the same as the sign posted at the base of the Northbridge- motorized vehicles of adequate displacement/horsepower. A motorcycle can meet the criteria but a bike, moped, scooter, lawnmower or pair of New Balance running shoes will not.

I know that the guy who picked up a DUI for hitting & killing the girl on a moped on the Ravenel got off because that vehicle didn't meet the minimum power requirements/therefore he couldn't be held responsible- and he blew above the legal limit! I wouldn't be surprised if they named the Ashley River Bike lane after the doctor who was killed on WA ramp of the connector- he lived immediately over the bridges. I have actually known both of them and it is sad that they died because while someone else was atfault traffice wise- a bicycle/moped just was not a match for a van or truck at highway speeds.

Ideally they should have designed the Connector with a separate recreation lane. (I think the best set-up would be a lane down the center similar to the brooklyn bridge since it would mitigate the issue of the on/off ramps.) If it weren't for the connector there would not have been as much of a push for the lane on the Ravenel Bridge.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:19 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No motorcycles are able to keep up with traffic not hinder it, though I would ban Mopeds on roads that the posted Speed is above their capability...

Old 03-12-2012, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 34,959 times
I used to commute to work on a small motorcycle, travelling over the back roads and having a marvelous time. One day, while driving my car, I almost pulled out in front of an oncoming motorcycle that I did not see. I was stunned. If a cyclist like me couldn't see a motorcycle, then I certainly couldn't expect a non-cyclist to see me on my motorcycle.

As a rule of thumb, I suggest the following. Imagine yourself driving a car and imagine what you would think of bicyclists on the road with you.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
No motorcycles are able to keep up with traffic not hinder it, though I would ban Mopeds on roads that the posted Speed is above their capability...
I am willing to make a concession for someone that cannot afford a car, a moped is acceptable. It is neccesary transportation. But not to be used on highways that actually do have minimum posted speeds.

Yes there may be 1-2 guys that use a bike for transportation, but 98% of them are Lance Armstrong that ride a bike that is likely worth more then my car.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Look there are dumb cyclists, walkers, runners and car drivers.....

I had my first instance in about three years -- my first in the Mount Pleasant area -- of having to slow down for two or three minutes because of a cyclist on Rifle Range. I smiled thinking of how impatient people are....it probably set me back 30 seconds. Such a small inconvenience.

Now don't get me started on the idiots who think the traffic circles are four way stops. If there are no cars in the circle you do not need to come to a complete stop <G>.

Seriously we all just have to chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area