Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM

315 posts, read 624,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I live right near bowman road...and actually -- the road is bumpier north of Bowman road right now -- especially around Boone Hall but all the way to Park West area. It is what it is. It's inconvenient but will be nice to have that overpass at Bowman done.

I'll agree there, the overpass is LONG overdue.

Do you believe, as I do, that the town government screwed the town by vastly overdeveloping and blowing millions on parks (that are mostly unused) instead of doing this road construction back when the population was only 40,000ish rather than now??? The shady business deals between the mayor/council and developers is just sickening. For all the gripes I have about this place, NO PEOPLE deserve to be put through this type of traffic nightmare. And they shouldn't have been. This should've been done a decade ago BEFORE the council took the sweetheart envelopes of money from big developers.

But dont mistake the construction as being on behalf of the citizens. They are only widening the roads so that more cars can fit for the sake of developments north of 526, like the coming major box stores and huge subdivisions near 41 and Wando High. The new 17 is gonna be just as clogged, just 6 lanes instead of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 03:36 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,809,127 times
Highway 17 is really nothing different from PCH... that really only makes any sese to those who lived in socal I guess but really, no amount of widening is going to really completely free up travel there in a way such that anyone would want to travel on it for a long period of time. The stoplights and side streets will always be around.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,682,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Highway 17 is really nothing different from PCH... that really only makes any sese to those who lived in socal I guess but really, no amount of widening is going to really completely free up travel there in a way such that anyone would want to travel on it for a long period of time. The stoplights and side streets will always be around.
There's one big difference between highway 17 and PCH, and that is turn lanes. These odd breaks in the center where you pull in to turn over cross traffic are odd, and I'm happy to see that many of them are becoming turn lanes.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,683,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
We sold our home in Mount Pleasant and moved this past June. We will be visiting the area for the next three days and riding around quite a bit.

Anxious to see if many/what changes. I will report back.

REPORTING BACK

Well Rte. 17 is a construction horror show but I always said it need to be widened as it had been in the Towne Center area so I think it will work out. Rte. 17 always was commercial and it will only become more so. Like it or not, progress happens. Most residents will be happy if you keep the commercial stuff on Rte. 17.

Mustard Seed still tops in the area. Great job done by Paige's? at the old Alex's. Eurasia somewhat eclectic menu and very good food.

Were planning to go downtown Charleston for dinner on Thurday evening. Started out from our hotel at the foot of the bridge. Cop on Wando Way right in front of the hotel. Polite and told us what happened. We went back to the room, had a drink, watched it on TV and were among the first cars over (about 6:15ish) when it opened. No problem coming back 2 hours later.

Found out (valid source) that Snee Farm Golf Club owner has bought (in the last 10 days or so) Rivertowne Golf Club. Look for some sort of symbiotic relationship between them with Snee Farm staying private.

Still miss Charleston but not as much. Becoming more used to and accepting of the Columbia area even though it is not a "pretty" as Charleston......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area