Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,006 times

Advertisements

Ditto re: the one on Trolley Road.
Didn't try the ice cream. The food was so-so.
Overall, we weren't impressed and haven't been back.
There are SO many other good places to go rather than to this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
The best one in my opinion is the Mt Pleasant location. Goose Creek location is also good. The one on Trolley Rd. is disgusting and needs a major cleaning. I wish we had other options around here beside Ye Olde, but ice cream shops are not as prevalent here as up north.
I don't know what you are talking about we have atleast five in Summerville alone, two Ye' Ole Fashions a soft serve place two creamery places and a Gilato joint...

Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
We've been to the one in MP -- sandwiches aren't bad -- greasy spoon kind of ....but okay.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,218 times
I have been to the one in Mt. P twice. I will never go again. The first time I went the guy making the ice cream seemed very cranky. I tried being nice and talk a little. He couldn't even crack a smile. I thought maybe he was having a bad day. I went back a second time maybe a month later. The same guy and a woman were working the ice cream counter. Both of them were crabby. I made a comment to the woman that she didn't seem happy and she said she was tired. Heck, I get tired at work but I don't act crabby to people! I ended up sending an email about both incidents and never received a response. There is too much competition in the ice cream field around here. We always get ice cream and they lost what could have been regular customers.

Aside from the bad service, the ice cream was good, but I still won't go back.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,861 times
I agree with aetcas. The Trolley Road one is filthy.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:17 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,634 times
I had a horrible experience at the Old Trolley Road location in Summerville back in the mid 80s when I was in third grade and visiting the area for the summer. Some jerk high schoolers hanging out there started threatening me because of my ethnicity. Like, they intimated that they were going to beat me up and then one came at me with a chair. This was after an extended period of time of their being loud and hurling ethnic insults within earshot of everyone. The employees there did nothing but stood by and watched. I ran out of there with my two other third-grade friends. I still can't believe it - high schoolers instigating violence against a THIRD GRADER who was just minding his own business and getting ice cream with his summer friends. It was incidents like that (yes, there were a few, although no other violent ones) that convinced my parents that we couldn't move to the Charleston area. Too bad, because in the interim it's become a gem of a place and I missed out on some of that, but wow...

So for me personally, that place has been blacklisted for life, because if something that's supposed to be as family- or kid-friendly as an ice cream place didn't have measures in place to diffuse situations like that, they're not getting my business.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:57 PM

370 posts, read 947,245 times
Brusters on 78 is a great spot, Kathy! Too bad the one on Dorchester Rd is for sale. I have heard rumors that a new Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins may be coming to that area this year. I often wonder how an old fashioned super premium New England style soft serve place would do around here. I do like the Carvel soft serve in Mt Pleasant. There was talk about them opening a 2nd location In Summerville, but I think the economy has stalled that idea for now.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
We go to the one in MtP quite often, for ice cream. Never had anything on the menu. The folks behind the ice cream counter aren't always the friendliest, but I'm not there for social relationship. Just make my shake and I'll be on my way.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
I had a horrible experience at the Old Trolley Road location in Summerville back in the mid 80s when I was in third grade and visiting the area for the summer. Some jerk high schoolers hanging out there started threatening me because of my ethnicity. Like, they intimated that they were going to beat me up and then one came at me with a chair. This was after an extended period of time of their being loud and hurling ethnic insults within earshot of everyone. The employees there did nothing but stood by and watched. I ran out of there with my two other third-grade friends. I still can't believe it - high schoolers instigating violence against a THIRD GRADER who was just minding his own business and getting ice cream with his summer friends. It was incidents like that (yes, there were a few, although no other violent ones) that convinced my parents that we couldn't move to the Charleston area. Too bad, because in the interim it's become a gem of a place and I missed out on some of that, but wow...

So for me personally, that place has been blacklisted for life, because if something that's supposed to be as family- or kid-friendly as an ice cream place didn't have measures in place to diffuse situations like that, they're not getting my business.
That's awful! I can't believe no one said anything to the high schoolers.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:14 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,471,727 times
excellent burgers and fries!! eat over your plate though, cause it'll be dripping all over with good artery clogging grease... lol

1/2 are owned by the guy, the other 1/2 by the x-wife... the product of divorce, so each location is a little different from the other

we eat there every few months because it's right down the street and the kids love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area