Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM

152 posts, read 322,452 times

Advertisements

I've never seen a city (its not a "town" folks) go through such drastic change in such a little time as Mt Pleasant has in the past 12 years.

I always heard it described as "Mayberry", but the last few years, there have been murders, cops shooting criminals, violent robberies, MASSIVE expansion of highways and tall housing complexes, dirty politicians, big box store centers approved, the high school going from cozy to the largest in the state in just 10 years..........the CITY council just lifted the restriction on # of building permits in a year, which held growth back for the lat 10 years, and the city is absolutely exploding with growth.

I gotta ask....Mt P is obviously no longer what it once was, and never will be again. It seems currently the town...er....CITY...is in transition and void of a true identity other than a congested suburb of Charleston.

So what will the city look like in 10 years? They predict the population to be anywhere from 85,000-125,000 in 10 years. Crime obviously will keep ticking upwards. The newly widened roads will be congested right back to the same nightmare. "Mayberry" Mount Pleasant will be long gone. What will the new Mt P look like? Should the city change its name to something else more appropriate? East Charleston or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 05:01 PM

638 posts, read 1,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
I've never seen a city (its not a "town" folks) go through such drastic change in such a little time as Mt Pleasant has in the past 12 years.

I always heard it described as "Mayberry", but the last few years, there have been murders, cops shooting criminals, violent robberies, MASSIVE expansion of highways and tall housing complexes, dirty politicians, big box store centers approved, the high school going from cozy to the largest in the state in just 10 years..........the CITY council just lifted the restriction on # of building permits in a year, which held growth back for the lat 10 years, and the city is absolutely exploding with growth.

I gotta ask....Mt P is obviously no longer what it once was, and never will be again. It seems currently the town...er....CITY...is in transition and void of a true identity other than a congested suburb of Charleston.

So what will the city look like in 10 years? They predict the population to be anywhere from 85,000-125,000 in 10 years. Crime obviously will keep ticking upwards. The newly widened roads will be congested right back to the same nightmare. "Mayberry" Mount Pleasant will be long gone. What will the new Mt P look like? Should the city change its name to something else more appropriate? East Charleston or something?
I remember going thru Mt Pleasant in '99? or so and thinking "this is where I'd like to live".. quiet suburbia, country area with the city just across the (rickety) bridge. (Stupid us, didn't follow thru and buy land at the right time). However, I think I'd be vastly disappointed with the way it turned out. "Mayberry Mt P" is long, way long gone.

Now, I'm thinking Awendaw looks nice; but Awendaw has vastly over-valued it's undeveloped property. I assume, a) it's hoping to keep out development similar to Mt P. ?? Or, b) trying to profit from it. (probably "b")

Mt P, imo, reached it's pinnacle years ago and is for the most part in the downhill process of "aging". Very little "prime property" is left; and what is, is so laughably overpriced it's been on the market for years and will never sell in current recessionary conditions.

Most of the bumper to bumper housing developments built in the early 2000's are in dire need of updates and repairs/ overpriced (except maybe to those evacuating from up north or more expensive areas). The majority of middle class people are looking for homes in the $200's to low $300's... but they don't want a house in need of major repairs.

I think Mt P, like many southern coastal areas, was "raped" by developers/building syndicates who profited big time during the boom years and it's downhill from here out.

Forbes magazine recently posted an article on a 20-25% chance of a double dip recession hitting the housing market yet again. Time will tell.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Who's gonna take the bait first?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:41 PM

132 posts, read 239,963 times
Oy oy oy!

Old 09-24-2012, 06:43 PM

MJ55, I agree with you. Like many Southern towns, Mt P wasn't ruined by locals and natives who lived there for generations. Heck, most of the council is made up of transplants. Which is probably why they dont care much about keeping Mt P as it used to be. It's obvious they are in deep with the developers. The fact that they are welcoming Oyster Point with open arms shows that. The Six Mile community is already breaking at the seams with traffic. Ditches and homes prevent Rifle Range from widening, yet, they're putting almost 1,000 more homes on that historical land.

And now....did you see the "town's" plan to NARROW Coleman Blvd to one lane each way with no left turns allowed!!!!??? Yes, one of the states busiest roads is about to be NARROWED to one lane each way. Brilliant men running the town of Mt P.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Who's gonna take the bait first?
What are you talking about???

I'd love for you to tell me how I'm wrong, and that Mt P will maintain it's past charm, character and "town" feel.........despite it being driven into a ditch by Billy Swails, the Town Council and Administrator Eric DeMoura. Some guy on here ranted about Ken Ayoub and the Rec Dept. I dont know anything about that, the towns Rec Dept has always been top notch, but, the town is claiming broke and about to raise taxes A LOT, they should probably slash that dept's funding.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,114,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post

ROFLMAO .. come on now.

It's growing .. people can't expect a place like Mt. Pleasant to hold on to the Mayberry-esque setting forever and SURELY don't really consider it to be much MORE than a suburb of Charleston anyway.

Places that are as lauded as Mt. Pleasant are going to grow and keep growing ... especially when every Tom, Dick and Harry suggests it's the ONLY place a transplant SHOULD live.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,953 times

Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM

132 posts, read 239,963 times
Well, clearly Mt. pleasant is on track to becoming a soulless nothing of an over-priced, over-developed town (sorry, city) run by clueless transplants who don't know the value of a $$. And the roads - fugheddaboudit! Anyone who's moved there did it due to their naïveté, and anyone who would consider such a move now that the truth about this hellhole is out must be smoking banana peals.

Whew!!

Now that the truth is finally out, can we please move on to more important topics, such as the secret of how Poogan's Porch gets their chicken to be so yummylicious? We went there for brunch yesterday, and my goodness that was some amazing stuff!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Im not against growth. Not at all. North Charleston is growing.....in a positive way. Crime rate going down (from way up, to not as way up). Roads are being widened, and less congested. Smart growth.

Mt P's government is reckless. They are ruining the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area