Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at housing costs in the Charleston area, and Summerville is appreciably lower than Mount Pleasant, James Island, John's Island and West Ashley.

Is it simply location, or are there other reasons?

A few questions about Summerville...

Is there a hospital in town? If not, how far (miles) is the nearest hospital?

I know one of the downsides is that Summerville is further from the beach and downtown - how far (driving time)?

Where do people work who live in Summervile? What's the commute time?

Does Summerville have a "real" downtown - i.e., shops, restaurants, library, etc.?

For people who live in Summerville, what do you like/love, what do you not like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,943 times
There's nothing wrong with Summerville.

The places you listed just over estimate their value.

Mount Pleasant is the 'snob hill' (for lack of a better term .. no offense meant) of the area.

West Ashley and James Island are both mostly older houses that hang their pricing on the old saying LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION .. Because it is centrally located people are expected to see past the historic (insult intended) housing and overlook the high price of the newer construction.

John's Island biggest problem are its residents. They want all the modern convenience but only as long as they don't have to give up the rural 'feel' that they have. 'Build more commerical (shopping et al) but don't build next to my house. Those woods are supposed to ALWAYS AND FOREVER be the view out my window' -kind of mentality. They'd rather sit in evacuation traffic parking lots than complete a MUCH, MUCH needed expressway that would alleviate all KINDS of traffic issues (whether it's hurricane evacuation traffic or morning/afternoon rush hour traffic).

Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Distance from beach, downtown is why it's lower

Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
Nothing is wrong with it. The location to the beach and downtown makes the property value less.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
What IS the distance (time-wise - to the beach and to downtown?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,065 times
I grew up in Summerville but if you forgive them for me, there's nothing wrong with it.

The first thing you need to understand is that there is Summerville and there is Summerville.

What I mean is that there is "downtown" Summervile AKA "Old" Summerville. These are houses that have been around for a century or more and have the feel of the old south. They are mostly collected together in one area of town which is why that area is known as "Old" Summerville.

There is also what could be referred to as the greater Summerville area which is where I grew up. The houses are newer and there is more commercial stuff around.

Greater Summerville extends out quite far from the town of Summerville but it (mostly) can't be claimed by any other municipalities and everyone puts Summerville in their return address. These parts of Summerville border on Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston and Ladson for the most part. The parts that border on North Charleston are in kind of a limbo. The address says Summerville and the utility payments go to Summerville but North Charleston PD has jurisdiction and North Charleston Sanitation collects trash. I think North Charleston has been trying to annex it for a while now and hasn't had much luck but I could be wrong about that.

Is there a hospital in Summerville?

Yes. Sort of. Summerville Medical Center is a smaller hospital in the Oakbrook area (greater Summerville). It's a 94 bed acute care facility complete with a 24 hour emergency room.

If you need more than they can offer there Trident Hospital in North Charleston is about 10 minutes down the road unless you get caught by a train on Ladson Rd. From Old Summerville, Trident is about 15 minutes or less from where I-26 intersects 17-A.

Drive time to the beach depends on where in Summerville and Which beach. About the longest drive you will have from anywhere in Summerville to Isle of Palms would be around an hour. Folly will always take longer to get to but then again, I've spent 2 hours on Folly Road itself trying to get there on a nice day. Moncks Corner has beaches as well. They are on the lake and you can get to them in about 40 minutes from anywhere in Summerville (maybe more in traffic but not much).

Downtown is no more than 40 minutes with no traffic.

People who live in Summerville work in Summerville. They also work in Moncks Corner, Goose Creek, Ladson, North Charleston, West Ashley, Downtown, Mt Pleasant, Daniel Island etc...Commute times vary and kind of depend on what time of day you work, where you work, where you live, what route you take to work etc. It's not possible to give you a specific timeframe without more information.

There is a real downtown. They have shops, restaurants, a theater (for stage productions), two libraries (Dorchester County and Timrod-Timrod is supposed to be haunted), movie theaters etc.

I don't live in Summerville. I live in Goose Creek. I grew up in Summerville and will most likely move back there one day. The other areas have very inflated home values. Daniel Island is the biggest culprit with Mt Pleasant coming in as a close second. The problem with these areas is that they harp on location but offer little else. Yes location is important but it's not the most important thing out there.

Given a choice between spending say $500,000 in Summerville or spending it in Mt Pleasant I would choose Summerville every time. You might get an identical house but in Summerville, you will most likely get a pretty decent chunk of land with it.

Other places are so "desirable" that they build the houses on top of each other. You can spend well into seven figures on Daniel Island and be able to reach out your window and into your neighbors house and turn off their alarm clock in the morning. That kind of money in Summerville would mean you'd be vaguely aware that you had neighbors somewhere past the tree line that starts an acre or two from your front door.

The only thing I didn't like about Summerville is that most of my friends in High School lived far away. I went to a private high school that was downtown through my junior year and then moved to Daniel Island my senior year. Go Bishops.

Most of the people I was friends with in high school lived somewhere West of the Ashley (West Ashley, James Island, John's Island etc.) and I dated a couple girls who lived in Mt Pleasant. Actually, ALL of my girlfriends in high school were from Mt Pleasant...weird.

Anyway...if you can get over the proximity issue then Summerville is a far better investment. Trust me on this one.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post

Anyway...if you can get over the proximity issue then Summerville is a far better investment. Trust me on this one.
there's a difference between a better value and a better investment. If I buy 2000 square feet for 300k and you buy the same house for 200k then you got better value. It's only when we later sell those houses that we can determine who made the better investment.

Regarding the original question, there's nothing "wrong" with Summerville if it is the type of city you are looking for. It has good schools, and it isnt so far from Charleston that you'll feel like you are in the sticks. Housing prices are cheaper because of its distance from the ocean and Charleston. If you drove another 40 miles out from Summerville you'd likely find prices even cheaper still. It all comes down to how far from the things that interest you you are willing to be. Personal preference is everything.
I moved here FOR the beach, but I rarely spend more than an hour or two there when I go, so if I had to drive an hour to a beach I'd probably never make the effort.
Once you visit and look around you will know exactly what is right for you.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:44 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,065 times
I wasn't talking about a financial investment.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
I wasn't talking about a financial investment.
My apologies then. I have no idea what you were talking about, but if the OP gets it I guess that's all that matters.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,997 times
Then what type of investment were you talking about, Techgeek? I, too, thought you were referring to a financial investment......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area