Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times

Advertisements

I took a walk at lunch today and discovered some new places that opened recently, so I thought I would share. Chrome, the chocolate store you asked about is definitely gone. It is now a restaurant called "Jamaican Me Hungry." It seats about 20 and it smelled incredibly great when we walked in! The menu is small and varies between the same items each day. Some of the dishes are island oxtails, jerk chicken, carnival curry chicken, raggae wraps, mango stew chicken, calypso curry goat,pineapple jerk shrimp, and escovitch fish. This place is definitely on my list to try. It is on State Street.

The other new restaurant is Lowcountry Bistro on S. Market Street. There is seating downstairs, upstairs, and upstairs on the porch. I want to try this place sometime too. Some of the menu items include shrimp and grits, bacon & crab hushpuppies, crab cakes, fried pork rinds, chicken & waffle (sweet potato corn bread waffle, crispy half bone-in chicken, pecan butter bourbon reduction), pork osso bucco, jambalaya, frogmore stew, pesto enctusted mahi-mahi, gorgonzola encrusted pork tenderloin, pork and beans with succotash, soups, salads, and sandwiches. The people walkng out of this place were raving about it.

Right up the street from Lowcountry Bistro is a cool wine store named Charleston Winery. I have to buy some wine from here because there are some different flavors. Some of the flavors are blackberry, blueberry, cherry red, coconut, orange & chocolate, Florida banana, cranberry, Florida grapefruit, pineapple, tomato & peppers, sangria, key lime, kiwi, mango, orange & coffee, orange sunshine, muscadine, strawberry, tangelo, watermelon, peach, and carrot. They also have this mix stuff that you mix with the wine and ice to make slushies. There were some nice wine holders there that they sell.

There is a new fudge shop that should be open any day. They were supposed to open today, but he was waiting for the last inspections. They let us walk in and check out the menu. There will be around 30 flavors of ice cream, fudge, shakes, lemonade, coffee drinks, chocolate dipped items (pretzels, apples, etc), and I think a few other things. We were told that they will ring a bell or yell outside or something every so often and there will be a little show with free samples of fudge when they do that. I think this place is a chain around the southeast. I don't remember the name, but the guy told us that there was one before in North Charleston at the mall and there is one in Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Thank you for the update!

Sad that the Belgian chocolate store is gone.

We will be down soon, we have lots of new places to visit and explore. The new fudge shop, I hope it does ok...there are already a couple of those on Market. The other two have their own niche, hopefully this new one will as well.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Thank you for the update!

Sad that the Belgian chocolate store is gone.

We will be down soon, we have lots of new places to visit and explore. The new fudge shop, I hope it does ok...there are already a couple of those on Market. The other two have their own niche, hopefully this new one will as well.
The new fudge store is in a really great tourist spot. It is near Ben & Jerry's. It is always fun when we find new places at lunch!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh yeah, the Ben and Jerry's has tons of traffic! So lucky to work downtown!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,941,263 times
Great report!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot...I will pass on the goat dish but I bet the jerk chicken is great!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot...I will pass on the goat dish but I bet the jerk chicken is great!
Don't know about their dish, but while in Alcapulco I was convinced to order goat, and it was fabulous! I was very resistant for who knows what reason, certainly not because they are so cute and cuddly!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Loosen up a little and try the goat.

Some of my favorite foods are goat head as well as goat belly.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
mmmm jerk chicken!!!! Thanks minicooper!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Loosen up a little and try the goat.

Some of my favorite foods are goat head as well as goat belly.
Loosening up not needed, I have no desire to try goat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area